x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PC Card HDD (CE 1)

CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 10:12 AM
#
Hmm...

After sticking my 2GB Toshiba PC Card HDD in2 my Hewlett Packard 320LX (running Windows CE 1.0), my battery went from about 3/4 full to 0% in less than a minute (and THAT'S without even using the PC Card HDD, just having it sitting in my Handheld PC whilst it is on)!

Normally this wouldn't be surprising, but I think it is in my case as I normally get up to a full week of VERY heavy use of my Handheld PC (with VERY heavy backlight use)...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 1:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You under estimate the load requirements for a constant 3.3v / 5v off of two 1.5v AA's - and then you have the power requirements for the device itself.

CE1 itself wasn't designed to cope with these devices at all- it contains no power management for such devices and the ATA drivers have no interoperability with mechanical devices.

Out of interest, how much of the 2GB is it letting you see?
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 2:33 AM
#
My Handheld PC died before it finished formatting the PC Card HDD, so I never got the chance to find out!

I have the impression however, that it would let me see the entire 2GB (of course, this amount of space would be useless on a Windows CE 1 device!)...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 6:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You formatted a hard disk on AA batteries

Oh; that'll make a mess
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 9:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

did it die?! how? or it was just the batteries?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8