x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows folder on a CF card?

1 2 3
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 11:54 AM
#
Okay - like most of the Jornada 720 users here I've got a CF card...it's 512MB and I wanna use it like it should be. Is there any way to move the /Windows folder to the storage card and have all the stuff read off of it...I already run all my apps off of it and it never leaves my PDA (accept when I put a movie on it for watching later )...cause no matter how little I actually put in the RAM of my PDA...I somehow run out with all the DLLs and other little things and I have little to no space for running IE and its cache.

That reminds me - is there any other app out there to REPLACE IE for the J720? It sucks sooo bad and I understand there are limitations to the PDA...but it can be better. Possibly someone has Firefox for the J720?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

bobbarker - 2005-06-23 9:54 AM

Okay - like most of the Jornada 720 users here I've got a CF card...it's 512MB and I wanna use it like it should be. Is there any way to move the /Windows folder to the storage card and have all the stuff read off of it...I already run all my apps off of it and it never leaves my PDA (accept when I put a movie on it for watching later )...cause no matter how little I actually put in the RAM of my PDA...I somehow run out with all the DLLs and other little things and I have little to no space for running IE and its cache.

That reminds me - is there any other app out there to REPLACE IE for the J720? It sucks sooo bad and I understand there are limitations to the PDA...but it can be better. Possibly someone has Firefox for the J720?

In a word, nope! ... there are some works for porting minimo to wince, but currently its for PPC2002 (or 2003?) only. Last I checked, it was at build 0.5. A little more way to go.

Once that goes GoldRelease, then maybe someone may try to port it to HPC2k, or even HPCPro.

If only they make it a bit clearer, the steps for downloading the required source and steps for compilation.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 4:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No you can't, and given the ammount of I/O to the Windows folder, it wouldn't do the CF much good.

So why don't you move the IE cache to the CF card
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh firefox? nonsense, it would require too much resources. it's just crap in this respect on a PC too
minimo also, i heard it wants 25 MB (!) ram to run on pocketpc's... ohwell.. if you have a 728 you have a chance too..
so, snappy, we're waiting for you to compile it!
in the meantime, try netfront, it is on my page: http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php (trial version). it has some quirks but considering it's a ppc app originally, it's quite good. especially for pages that IE can't handle..
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 9:54 PM
#
Well...I would just move the cache - but considering I run AIM (go head, laugh) and IE, some form of game and possibly Mini Stumbler all at the same time, just moving the cache to IE alone might not be enough. Ho-hum.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

why, it doesn't seem a difficult task. the ram should be enough for them. exactly how much free ram do you have after a soft reset?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 6:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

AIM and MniStumbler can be installed into CF though... with the PIE cache flush on the CF you can just increase the available system memory if you're seeing problems in application memory allocation.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 1:22 PM
#
I have all my apps installed on the CF card - but to run them you gotta have it in your program ram. And I have the IE cache going to the CF card...but I'll be damned if I have any more space. (I have every app I have on the CF card, (I even moved stuff like the calculator). I'm gonna try some other stuff...but I still don't know.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 2:56 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Try opening Chai VM from the hp applications on the start menu
Click Options
Clear out the Chai Cache and disable the browser plug-in

See if that clears up RAM.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh, anyone here seen chaiVM ACTUALLY running/working? i never did.. it's just a big heap of crap... but at least it doesn't consume ram either
of course i'm not saying that you shouldn't check the cache/disable chaiVM..
bobbarker, how much free ram do you have after a soft reset? program ram and storage ram too
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 9:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

anyway, you can try setting up a system path on your CF. see for details the forum or this site: http://www.pc-counselor.com/j720.htm
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 7:39 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Actually cmonex Chai VM is a known RAM drain on the system, it doesn't self clear the cache either.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 1:33 PM
#
I'll try those next time I've got my PDA handy and give you some stats. Thanks for the info!
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 1:46 PM
#
Okay - this is with no special apps installed, IE cache on the CF card, Chai cache cleared and a soft reset I get:

Storage
Allocated : 6912KB
In Use : 5060KB
Program
Allocated : 25628KB
In use : 3400KB

I'll look in to making the \Windows folder reside on my CF card somehow...
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 4:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I think that for a soft reset, you're having a lot of program memory in use. My 720 after a soft reset displays 2472kb used<br /><br />Look in the page cmonex told you for information about the system path and how to change it<br /><br />Hope this helps <br />
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.185 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8