x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows folder on a CF card?

1 2 3
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 4:28 PM
#
I do have a client for a wireless card running automatically for my wireless card..that's probably why.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

mmm maybe that's why yours show higher memory usage
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 5:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-06-25 1:39 PM

Actually cmonex Chai VM is a known RAM drain on the system, it doesn't self clear the cache either.

maybe. i've never had anything in the cache. maybe once an 1 kbyte file and that was it. and nor have i seen chaivm actually working!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bobbarker - 2005-06-25 7:46 PM

Okay - this is with no special apps installed, IE cache on the CF card, Chai cache cleared and a soft reset I get:

Storage
Allocated : 6912KB
In Use : 5060KB
Program
Allocated : 25628KB
In use : 3400KB

I'll look in to making the \Windows folder reside on my CF card somehow...

this is perfectly normal. 22 MB should be enough for the things you want to do. my setup was perfectly like this when i used a 720 (using a 728 now) and almost never had your problems. so i'm at a loss now. which app consumes so much ram??
you listed these: AIM, IE, a game, and ministumbler.. i know IE and ministumbler doesn't require too much ram. do the other two?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 5:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bobbarker - 2005-06-25 10:28 PM

I do have a client for a wireless card running automatically for my wireless card..that's probably why.

i have the client too, but it can't be responsible for all the 1 MB.
anyway 1 MB more or less (2.5 MB or 3.5), what does it matter? nothing. you cannot go below 2.5 MB after a soft reset so either it is that or you buy a jornada 728
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 5:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cmonex, try opening 4+ windows in IE and look if it ain't a memory drain. I've 10 Mb used ONLY with 2 windows of IE opened and my Wifi card app.

Besides, games like WFI consume a lot of RAM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it greatly depends on what kind of website you're looking at. you can open 10+ windows easily and still have some free ram, and you can open only one that consumes 10 MB in itself!
he didn't imply that it was such a game, just "some kind of game", so it can be anything
the wifi app doesn't eat a lot of ram at all
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:00 PM
#
The game = DOOM.
I'm pretty happy now with my usage and what not...this was after I did some other tweeking...no problems now. I did have some trouble with BetaPlayer and my background - but that's gone...maybe I should just get the 728 or a 64MB upgrade...ho hum I'll just use my smaller old laptop with DOS and Orinoco DOS drivers

One thing does happen, when I do a google image search, and I click on a picture, IE locks up and I can either wait 10 minutes or do a soft reset.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm not saying it won't leave ANY free ram at all, but surely it's a memory hog.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I think it's because IE has to convert the image to BMP format, i've a 728 and strage things happen when clicking google pics too. In my case IE closes, without any message, just like if i click in the close button
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ehh, DOOM? if you had told us about it earlier, we wouldn't have had to try to help for so long so 32 MB just won't cut it, get a 728 or don't play DOOM while doing other things too
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

matrixcore - 2005-06-26 3:09 AM

I think it's because IE has to convert the image to BMP format, i've a 728 and strage things happen when clicking google pics too. In my case IE closes, without any message, just like if i click in the close button

yes, IE definitely doesn't like google images sometimes it will show the larger pic but more often not than yes.. then yeah, IE crashes or freezes the whole device. i'll try netfront, i can't remember now if it works with it
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ehh, ok, i've tried it now, and IE happily showed a beautiful pic about a jornada 728 without problems.. netfront always goes to the mobile version of google seems to work though.
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 10:30 PM
#
What is the link to the mobile version of google...I've always used www.google/ie but that has no link to image search.

And sometimes the game just isn't DOOM - some times it's a GB emulator (good ol' Tetris)....
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 11:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I think that's google mobile http://www.google.com/xhtml, but you need the xml support installed in your J.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9