x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Are there any Serial PCMCIA cards for the J720?

technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-06-17 2:18 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I would like to get hold of 9-pin serial PCMCIA card for my Jornada 720, so that I can feed in raw gps data.

There's an article about doing this on MSDN using eVB3.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-06-17 2:19 AM
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2010-06-17 3:31 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The DB-9 at the end of the proprietary HP serial cable is not sufficient?
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-06-17 4:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Apart from the fact it is a huge mechanical strain on the device. (I busted my previous 620LX because of the weight of the serial cable hanging off it) Not exactly the lightest of cables.

I would prefer to keep that com port/cable free for debugging the application via the desktop pc. Sitting in the cradle communicating through the base serial connector, also running off the mains.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-06-17 4:50 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-06-18 6:53 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-06-18 3:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Not exactly gushing with details is it? (China too! - the land of phoney merchandise)

I'll wait for someone to verify that the serial card they put forward would actully work on WinCE.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-06-18 3:52 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-06-18 5:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's the only one I could find that wasn't clearly identifiable as CardBus.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-06-18 11:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

None of the IO cards in the HCL any good?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2010-06-19 12:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Driver is the key.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-06-19 8:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2010-06-18 3:41 PM

None of the IO cards in the HCL any good?

I don't see any there with a DB9 interface. (What do you even use to connect with the serial ports on the Socket card?)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-06-19 9:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I thought that there were converters for the socket cards?
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-06-19 5:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

OK, I've come across this card that may be of interest to CE users.

http://www.redstore.com/DYNCTL004
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2010-06-21 8:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I've also come across a 16 bit Serial PCMCIA card that may be of interest to CE users, pls have a look at:
http://www.delock.de/produkte/gruppen/PCMCIA/Delock_PCMCIA_adapter_PC_Card_to_1_x_serial_61603.html?setLanguage=EN
Unfortunately there are no drivers listed for WinCE, but may J720 would recognize the card automatically.
 Top of the page
Magneto Page Icon Posted 2010-06-28 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

This serial pcmcia card have an Oxford processor chip, drivers are available for almost any OS
 Top of the page
DanC Page Icon Posted 2010-06-30 12:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I personnaly use a Socket Serial I/O PC Card, part number "SLO700-004". It works in all my WinCE HPC devices (CE 1.0, 2.0, 2.11). It is a "Low Power" PC Card, spec'd. at drawing just 5ma from the card slot. According to Socket's documentation, the Socket driver files that shipped with my card (in 1996) support both Windows 95 and Windows CE. The documentation also says the card is recognized without adding any Socket drivers in DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups, OS/2 Warp, Windows NT 3.51, NT 4.0 or later, the Apple Message Pad (Newton 2.0 OS), the Apple Powerbook. and the Sharp Zaurus. I have used the card for many years in my Sharp Zaurus ZR-5800 to attach an external serial modem (a Nokia GSM phone, in fact). The card works flawlessly in the Zaurus. I have not used it much in my CE devices, but it does work. I suspect the card would work just as well in a HPC 2000 device, but not having an HPC of that vintage, I can't test it. Interestingly, Socket did not supply drivers for the HP 100/200/1000LX. The documentation states drivers for the HP handhelds are available from ACE Technologies at 1-800-825-9977 in the USA. Drivers were also available for UNIX. These cards are readily available in eBay, but usually without the removeable dongle (cord) that includes the DB9 serial connector. You can order the cord from Socket the last time I checked, but it is fairly costly. Better to search eBay for a card with the cord included. The card also comes in a "rugged" version which has a heavy-duty hard-wired cord, insted of a removeable one. I believe (but am not certain) the "Rugged" card is the same as the "Low Power" card; only the cords are different. I have not checked the Socket support site recently, but last I checked a few years ago, you must be a confirmed customer with a registered product to access their support section and download drivers. You may need to first verify you own a used card with Socket in order to be granted support and file download access. Hope the above is helpful.
Dan
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-07-01 12:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You've just confirmed that they do have converters, I thought they did
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 31