x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J680 screen dark (still there) but can't see anything

HistorySleuth Page Icon Posted 2010-06-23 6:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK I read the forums and followed some directions here for my non-backlight screen problem.

I can hear it working when its on, screen tap clicks, I can browse the file system in activesync, but the screen stays dark. I noticed today (following another forum direction) If I hold it up to bright light I can see the images slightly. I did a soft then hard reboot which didn't change anything. I put in a new backup battery too. So I can barely see the setup screen wanting me to choose the time zone.

Now I don't think anyone messed with my brightness/contrast lighting thing there on the side of the screen. I do remember when I had it open and pressed the screen on the right side it popped on for a moment, but now it doesn't even do that. I took apart my jornada just to make sure the cable wasn't loose. Tightened the screw to the mother board a tad (because that was loose) and put it back together. No difference in anything though. Is there a way to take apart the screen itself and see if something is loose in there?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-06-23 11:12 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Based on your new observation that you can see an (dim) image, it sounds like the backlight (CCFL) or its inverter/power source has failed. I'd guess you could test those without actually dissembling the screen.
 Top of the page
HistorySleuth Page Icon Posted 2010-06-25 1:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

And how would I test that without taking apart the screen? If I had to open the screen, how would I do that? Since the light did pop on and off, maybe it is just a loose connection of some kind? I don't see any screws so is it just clips that holds the screen together?

Edited by HistorySleuth 2010-06-25 1:17 PM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-06-25 3:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

First, I'm not a Jornada owner, so I really recommend that you find the disassembly guide online (http://www.tefs.de/jornada/hardware.php will hopefully work). But, basically, I'd try to test using your nose and a multimeter. I'd pay special attention to the connection and ribbon that's under the "Jornada" in this image: http://www.tefs.de/bilder/jornada/hardware680/big/Display.jpg . You're probably at a diminishing returns point; the cost of a new screen or components is going to comparable to the cost of a replacement unit.

I agree there's hope that there's a loose connection since pressing on the right side (where the connections are seated) revived things. I'd imagine that it's possible for the ribbon to sometimes bind in that design, giving you an intermittent problem/solution.

Regarding general assembly: These things tend to be clipped/glued together. Any hidden screws will be under the nameplates. Good luck. Handy widgets which still don't have exact replacements IMHO, but starting to show their age...
 Top of the page
HistorySleuth Page Icon Posted 2010-06-29 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks H/PC. I'd did take apart the whole bottom, and payed attention to the ribbon. It seemed in good shape that I could see and connected properly. I'll check the other link you suggested and see if I can figure it out despite the German, or use babble-fish to try and translate the text. I figure I'll have to get another one, probably a 728. I like this gadget better than a net book because of the size and the battery life. I mainly use it for novel writing on the go that I later sync with my laptop.
 Top of the page
HistorySleuth Page Icon Posted 2010-06-29 9:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK update to the above. I managed to pop the screen casing apart (A lo easier then taking the bottom apart was) a connector end of that ribbon to the left of the screen came unclipped. So I clipped it back in. Now I got backlight but no images. Do I have to reinstall everything or is this another connection issue. When I sync it to my computer, I do see the folders there still via my laptop. Just no icons or anything on the jornada screen. I did try soft and hard reboot.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-06-29 10:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Check the cable to make sure it didn't tear anywhere. If it didn't, then the likelihood is that the cable's connection to either the screen or the motherboard is loose or not properly seated.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9