x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Moving Program Files to CF

arlex Page Icon Posted 2010-06-25 8:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Forgive my ignorance, but how should I move the Program Files to the CF card in order to free more space in the memory? I guess I have to create first a folder called Program Files on the CF card, but then what, just simply moving the files leaving on the RAM just a few (e.g. Opera)? Or even more simple - just copy the Program Files to the CF and then delete from each location what it is to be deleted. That's it? As simple as that? I must confess I did not find any hint on the forum on how exactly to do it for the installed programs, thats why asking. Thank you!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-06-25 10:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You don't have to create a \Program Files folder on the CF card; just move the files or subfolders themselves directly into the \Storage Card folder. (Maybe you're thinking of the Casio BE-300.) Of course, their shortcuts on the desktop and/or in the Start Menu will have to be edited or replaced to reflect the apps' new locations. (A few - very few - programs won't work after being moved because they have registry keys for specific functions that will still point to the old file paths. Of course, those registry keys can be edited as well.)
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2010-06-26 9:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CE Geek - 2010-06-25 5:03 PM

You don't have to create a \Program Files folder on the CF card; just move the files or subfolders themselves directly into the \Storage Card folder. (Maybe you're thinking of the Casio BE-300.) Of course, their shortcuts on the desktop and/or in the Start Menu will have to be edited or replaced to reflect the apps' new locations. (A few - very few - programs won't work after being moved because they have registry keys for specific functions that will still point to the old file paths. Of course, those registry keys can be edited as well.)

Thank you CE Geek! Interesting it is as simple as just moving the program files from the RAM to the CF. I imagined there are traces in the registries about the program files location.

Anyway moving the Program Files might include also the programs installed in from the ROM, which of course would be valid only until the next hard-reset. Then I'll have to do it again.

Do you think there would be any advantage if installing the new programs on the CF in the first place (except avoiding to play with re-editing the shortcuts)?

But once the programs installed or moved to the CF, what about the back-up and restore, any special precautions? I imagine that back-up file will reflect the links to the programs folder and that will be a bit smaller in size and faster to build and restore. Also no changes allowed to the program folder on the CF in order for the restore operation to bring back the exact status. Anything alse I should mind?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Edited by arlex 2010-06-26 10:04 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 29