x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 7:36 PM
#
I'm gonna have a few bux coming my way, I want to know which HPC to buy. I don't have enough money to get one off of a online store but maybe something on ebay(not over 250)

As long as it can sync with XP and runs NES roms i'll be a happy man

Buuuut, does anyone think I should just screw the whole HPC ordeal and get a KB for my Axim X30 (with 624mhz)?

The HPC's look much better in my opinion.

Anyways, I was looking at the jornada720. Yay? Nay? Help please...
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 11:01 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This are my personal recomendations

-Jornada 720 (though it'll be hard to get one for <$250)
-Jornada 680 (a lot cheaper, like $130 with shipping, look in justdeals or tigerdirect online stores)

And NO, DO NOT GO WITH THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE, DON'T JOIN THE Piddle PC Sith Lords!!.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-06-23 11:17 PM
#
IMO, any hpc with a CE 3.0 core. I'm not knocking 2.11 devices but so many more programs are available to the 3.0 core user. I loved my j690 form factor, pocketability (is that a banana in yer pants?? har har), keyboard, construction, layout blah blah blah but I found myself limited software wise.

If the 690 had a *good* browser, Cashorg or equivalent financial program and GPS programs I'd still have it. (I know, a 72x has all this but I can't justify a 72x and my 6651 *and* my E200) Besides, AFAIK, nothing in your price range has USB hosting which I use a lot. (20gb jukebox, all the maps, mp3s, videos and programs I could never use in a lifetime.)

So there's my 2 cents worth. Some 6651s pop up privately for $250US but so do 72xs.
Good hunting.
 Top of the page
Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 12:27 AM
#
Yes The Intermec looks like one I'd want to get.
What do you mean by being sold privately? Ebay? I'd assume so.

Anyways none are on Ebay

I'll just have to wait for one to pop up somewhere.
 Top of the page
Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 12:29 AM
#
Sorry Didn't want to double post but I can't edit b/c I'm not registered.... yet.

And NO, DO NOT GO WITH THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE, DON'T JOIN THE Piddle PC Sith Lords!!.

Erm, Piddle PC?

Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 1:17 AM
#
H/PC Elite

that's how Pocket PC's are known over this lands.
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 3:35 AM
#
Private as in forums like the 4sale here and other boards. I'm no Ebay fan. So I prefer private in some cases. I really had to hunt around for my 6651 but one appeared at my price.

Jeez, about a month ago you had your pick IIRC of a 720 or a 6651 for $250 + shipping. I checked and both are gone. No surprise.
 Top of the page
Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 9:06 AM
#
Can you give me some suggestions to forums that might have them?

I know here, and the brighthand forum has some. I don't know about anywhere else.
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Scala - 2005-06-23 7:36 PM

I want to know which HPC to buy. not over $250... does anyone think I should just screw the whole HPC ordeal and get a KB for my Axim X30 (with 624mhz)?
The HPC's look much better in my opinion.

A lot depends on what you wish to do. Your 624Mhz Axim is powerful and can do a lot. You can easily use it for a stereo MP3 music player, run multimedia, store photos, use it inside or outside (something you cant do with any true handheld--see the screen in bright sunlight). If you just add a Stowaway type folding keyboard to your Axim, you will spend much less than buying a clam shell handheld and you will have a more versatile powerful device. The PDA keyboards are superior for input than any Jornada keyboard and what you carry--fold up keyboard and Axim--will be less bulk than any NEC handheld.

Major differences between your Axim are: the powerful processor, up to date O/S, quality sound hardware, voice input and output capability, and quality record. The list is long. Among the handhelds being discussed here, the closest match would be the the recently discountinued NEC 900 which is still an inferior device compared to your Axim. The 900 display is dated, largely due to Microsoft. You do get much longer active use time with a handheld than with your Axim PDA but you can fix than with a spare battery.

I have an excellent discountinued PDA that is no where near as powerful as your Axim but I only pay about $30 for them, barely used--The Casio BE 300. It fits nicely in any shirt pocket, is very light & thin, highly O/E and CF card modifiable and has a stereo socket. Despite its mere 163 MHz MIPS processor, I run video clips and can show photos with it. I use it for ebooks and data storage and access. What makes the BE 300 so modifiable is what turned many people away from it. Casio used Win CE 2.11 kernal but built its own O/E leaving the 300 with a static menu and limited software portability. But with an enthusiast made O/E hack, my favorite is Xpod 6.1, an amazing array of PDA software installs and runs on this MIPS PDA.

I have a Jornada 680e (which {http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/handheldpcpda.html has reduced to $104 & still includes a warranty} & an NEC 780.

The jornada is more adaptable and modifiable than the NEC 780 but the 780 is much more handy for entering data. It is difficult to find software for it and to get third party software to work in it. In that regard, the jornada 680e is significantly more flexible

I am looking to buy a NEC 790. When I get one, I will sell the 780. The only reason for keeping the Jornada 680e is fun. I enjoy its quality construction (NEC was amazingly cheap about its cases. I had to and advise new owners of NEC units to insert a PCMCIA to CF card adapter into the PCMCIA slot to keep the case from cracking or breaking there. The larger screen is a plus but after you install the Jornada display patch in the 680/680e, the 680 display is better, despite being smaller.

Again, your choice depends on what you intend to do. If having fun is part of your intent, then I would consider a Jornada 680 or 720. If data input is important and your hands are larger than those of a petite woman or someone from Japan, you may want a NEC 780, 790, 800 series or a 900. Price and value calculus wise, a 780 is a good bet in practical use device (they recently flooded the market so you can get one for under $150) Insofar as the NEC bigger size goes, it is still much smaller, lighter, thinner than a notebook PC and as an user and owner of dozens of laptops and notebooks over the past 20 years, I consider handhelds the true mobile device. Notebook PCs are nothing more than portable desktops. I call them lug-a-bouts.
NEC & Jornada handhelds are the real mobile PCs. PDAs are still largely luxury toys so long as data input remains the serious problem it is. Screen keyboards, thumbpads, & sometimes tiny screens of Smartphones just incredibly reduce practical use.

My hope for PDAs was that random pattern recognition and thus voice recognition would be solved by now. Dragon just dramatically improved speech recognition but the program is huge and it eats more resources than most home desktop PCs have t spare. ...Maybe Sharp will embed Dragon onto a ROM chip...

Finally, if you want to use a handheld for diverse, all around use (Internet, data input, music, ebooks, etc) your best bet is to look at the Jornada 720 & NEC 880.
If you are willing to pay for a used J 728 or a NEC 900, I would first consider the Sharp Linux driven Zaurus SL-C860, SL-C1000 or SL-C3000. But you already have an Axim 628 MHz device.

If Sharp would just place the SL-C860 (discountinued) into a Jornada 680 case, they would have a killer handheld to beat all handhelds!!

...Of course, this is all merely my humble opinion...

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 2:46 PM
#
Nice.

I'm thinkin I'm going to get either a J720 or a NEC790.

Most of all I want a 6651 and am hoping one will pop up

Thanks.
 Top of the page
jupps Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 3:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

bruisedquasar - 2005-06-24 12:46 PM

Again, your choice depends on what you intend to do. If having fun is part of your intent, then I would consider a Jornada 680 or 720. If data input is important and your hands are larger than those of a petite woman or someone from Japan, you may want a NEC 780, 790, 800 series or a 900.

Hmmm, lumping together petite women and people from Japan into the category of small-handed people is not good for your health, especially if you are within the vicinity of a Yokozuno-aspiring Sumo wrestler.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 4:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar - 2005-06-24 6:46 PM

use it inside or outside (something you cant do with any true handheld--see the screen in bright sunlight). If you just add a Stowaway type folding keyboard to your Axim, you will spend much less than buying a clam shell handheld and you will have a more versatile powerful device. The PDA keyboards are superior for input than any Jornada keyboard and what you carry--fold up keyboard and Axim--will be less bulk than any NEC handheld.
You do get much longer active use time with a handheld than with your Axim PDA but you can fix than with a spare battery.

hey, there are hpc's with TFT screens, so i think they can be readable in daylight too..
about foldable keyboards: they just suck at least for me. and the ppc will not be so portable any more... so i might as well get a real hpc with bigger screen
same applies to a spare battery for a ppc..

If Sharp would just place the SL-C860 (discountinued) into a Jornada 680 case, they would have a killer handheld to beat all handhelds!!

we agree on this!
 Top of the page
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 5:47 PM
#
Everybody mention abour J680 and J720, what about J690?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 7:15 PM
#
Yeah, I got a 1800mAh battery for my Axim, so battery longetivity isn't an issue, buuut viewing webbies on that 320x240 screen is killer, not to mention using fitaly as text input >.> I can only get 32wpm with that sucker (which isn't bad for styli entry)
I can get 65-70wpm on a keyboard.

I think i'm going to go for the intermec 6651 for the screen, and camera, and price. 800x480 sounds soooo nice.

Thanks for all your help. Once I'll find one (hopefully soon) I'm going to have to come here more often
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 13