x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

convert dvd to hpc format?

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2010-07-09 4:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am sure there are posts and articles that will tell me how to shrink a dvd file to a format that will let me play it on my j720. Can someone point me to some of those?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-07-09 5:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

SUPER (erightsoft.com) If you want to hear about acceptable bitrates and codecs, wait a bit more for Jornada users.

Don't forget to install GAPI.

Edited by Alt Bass 2010-07-09 5:50 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-07-09 5:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

DVD Catalyst walks you through the process:

http://www.tools4movies.com/
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-07-09 8:33 PM
#
SUPER is an excellent piece of FREE software for windows. It does more than any payware software that i have seen. Easy to use, has presets for pocketpc which would be what you would use for the j720. Just click pocketpc format and drag video into the window. I've used it in the past. I'd highly recommend it.

Cheers
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Alt Bass - 2010-07-09 11:49 AM

SUPER (erightsoft.com) If you want to hear about acceptable bitrates and codecs, wait a bit more for Jornada users.

Don't forget to install GAPI.

RTFM - 2010-07-09 2:33 PM

SUPER is an excellent piece of FREE software for windows. It does more than any payware software that i have seen. Easy to use, has presets for pocketpc which would be what you would use for the j720. Just click pocketpc format and drag video into the window. I've used it in the past. I'd highly recommend it.

Cheers

convert dvd to hpc format?

Unfortunately, SUPER doesn't work with DVDs directly, so you will need to use a different piece of software first to either rip the DVD to your harddrive.

The j720 is not the best device for video playback.
Besides the limited graphics power it offers, the screen refresh rate itself is also not the greatest, however, if you want some details on what it is capable of, Chris did a review a few years back on PocketDVD.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/software/pocketdvd/pocketdvd-1-1/

PocketDVD has since evolved into DVD Catalyst.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 9:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I love DVD Catalyst! Always have! It is what I've used on all of my HPC movies....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-07-11 12:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

DVD Catalyst has optimized settings for H/PCs, so you don't need to go through trial and error. And, PocketDVD's comment notwithstanding, one advantage of the 720's small screen is that it renders higher video framerates better than the 720's VGA counterparts. With 20-25 FPS and GAPI, videos from AVI to MPEG-4 to FLV render more than reasonably well.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Here's the question that wins the blender....can i used dvd catalyst to make a 1/4 screen vga file? I want to send a classmate (we are taking an online course together) a 20 minute video. 20 minutes of dvd translates into 200 mb of vcd, which is way too much. The video is just of a lecture, with some subtitles.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-07-13 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don't have it in front of me, but my recollection is that you can select the movie dimensions, aspect ratio (with and without bands), and quality. The movie dimensions as well as output container are embedded/implied as part of the selected device type.

The origin responses were probably geared toward a one-stop rip your DVD and get a HPC playable file. If you already have the file (MPEG 4?) on your computer, then using something like Handbrake (open-source) might give you the control and flexibility that you want. I'd not sure that I understand your reference to vcd format unless that's your only output option from some other program. Both DVD and VCD formats have alot of file overhead to allow them to be played in "dumb" consumer devices.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2010-07-14 2:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
pengyou--

Have you approached Mitch directly (maker of DVDCatalyst)? His support is awesome. I have corresponded w/ him about many settings, and he da man.

Jake
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2010-07-14 7:14 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

pengyou - 2010-07-13 6:01 AM

Here's the question that wins the blender....can i used dvd catalyst to make a 1/4 screen vga file? I want to send a classmate (we are taking an online course together) a 20 minute video. 20 minutes of dvd translates into 200 mb of vcd, which is way too much. The video is just of a lecture, with some subtitles.

Yes.

You can select from a multitude of different screen resolutions, starting from 64x24 all the way up to 1920x1920
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11