x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

soft reset. Is there a way to reapply registry settings?

technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 12:21 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

After mucking about with a java class file, I managed to lock up my 720. Soft reset also wipes out the .NET compact framework.

Is there a way to reapply system settings/run batch file to preserve current configuration. My understanding is that it isn't possible because the CE registry is stored in hive files in the ce store.

I'm also looking for a zip util that could be run from the command line. (ie exec'd from batch file)

Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 7:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

technogeist2k9 - 2010-07-09 7:21 PM
Is there a way to reapply system settings/run batch file to preserve current configuration. My understanding is that it isn't possible because the CE registry is stored in hive files in the ce store.

Hi technogeist2k9. Yes, there is a way to preserve the current configuration, it is called back-up and restore function. Unfortunately you should have done this prior to the lockup. Normally it is to run the restore function after the hard reset, which (be aware!) wipes out all data and installed software.

In your case you have to run obligatory a hard reset first. To do that just remove the charger and both batteries for min.15 - 20 minutes. What you get after the restart is the original factory status of your HPC.

For Back-up and Restore go to Start/Programs/HP Applications/HP backup. You can save the backup file on the CF card or you can do the backup directly on the desktop pc via the ActiveSync (WinXP), but this is much slower. Good luck!

Edited by arlex 2010-07-10 7:55 AM
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 1:31 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I do use backup. Unfortunately, the last backup didn't include .NET CF. Most software doesn't remove itself when a soft reset occurs, so at the time I didn't see the need to make yet another backup.

Thanks for the instructional response. I have been using pda's for a very long time (~1998) , and this is the first time I've encountered soft-reset issues.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 6:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

technogeist2k9 - 2010-07-10 8:31 AM

I do use backup. Unfortunately, the last backup didn't include .NET CF. Most software doesn't remove itself when a soft reset occurs, so at the time I didn't see the need to make yet another backup.

Thanks for the instructional response. I have been using pda's for a very long time (~1998) , and this is the first time I've encountered soft-reset issues.

Sorry technogeist2k9, did not intend to offend you. On the other hand I never experienced a soft reset removing programs, too bad for you...:-(
Good luck
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 7:17 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

No problem.

I hope someone could put forward any ideas for how to do this. And maybe any possible snags or gotchas I might encounter.

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-07-10 7:21 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 9:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Soft reset deletes your .NET CF? That is a new one...weird.

You could just save your registry by making a backup of it after it is the way you want, i.e PHM RegEditor, and then reinstall if as you need it with Tascal Regedit.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-07-10 11:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, this does happen with those CE 5 and 6 netbooks, but I've never heard of it happening with an H/PC 2000 device. Does it actually delete the files, or just disable .NET CF? (There's a registry setting for this.)
 Top of the page
technogeist2k9 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-11 2:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The .NET compact framework wouldn't recognize the PE header and refused to run any files. The .NET compact framework folder (within Program Files) was empty, and that's the thing that's baffling. Also, Pocket Scheme (hosed) and DSForth stopped working too.

If I get satisfactory results with VS .NET (2003) building v1.1 apps, then I will most definitely dump Java completely. Except, that I *need* use of the Javascript shell and compiler, which allows compiling of Javascript to java classes. On the device itself. There's a javascript shell for .NET but currently it has external .dll dependencies (Antlr3), which, in any case is reliant on JVM (unclear of jvm version required) so, imho a bit of a kludge.

But getting the java code to compile using Ant, has so far been really frustrating. But that's par for the course with Java development. (grrr. sucks like an industrial vacuum cleaner)

The .NET version of javascript shell is called Jint, which can be found at jint.org, you can compile it using C# (VS2008 Express or VS2010), but you will also need to get hold of .NET 1.1 SDK (not sure if it's still available for download)

Edited by technogeist2k9 2010-07-11 2:44 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10