x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My CE6 10.2" Netbook

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-19 1:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It plays the Youtube videos fine...no lag, no jumpiness, just like it should. I haven't tried playing an MP4 or Divx movie yet...something for later.

The battery seems to last about 2+ hours with wifi on.

IE has a print comand built into it, but clicking on print does nothing. Copying screens to Wordpad works, but when printing, only text prints...no graphics. But this is the way the Westtek printer drives worked on my Mobilepro as well, so it is not nothing special for this machine. The only time I was ever able to print graphics from any CE handheld device was when directly connecting a PCL3 compatible USB printer directly to my 900C. Then it printed just like a desktop would.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-07-19 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Does this help at all?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms893782.aspx

USB Host Printer Client Driver Limitations and Known Issues

The following list shows the limitations and known issues with the USB printer class driver:

•Because Windows CE has only a PCL printer driver, the following registry key entry is hard-coded into the registry to load the PCL driver. This enables testing all USB printers that support PCL print format.
CopyHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Printers\<IEEE_1284_Device_String>\Driver:"PCL.DLL"
•Non-PCL printers still support ASCII-only printing with the default PCL driver.
To support printing on non-PCL printers, you can load third-party printer drivers.

•The USB printer driver uses a hard-coded LPT: value in the registry.
Therefore, the printer driver shows up in Microsoft® WordPad for Windows CE word processing software with two LPT1: ports, even though Device Manager has only started one printer driver: the USB printer driver with the LPT1: name. The printer's IEEE_1284_Device_String appears correctly in WordPad, however.
 Top of the page
Ephraimice
Ephraimice Page Icon Posted 2010-07-22 6:00 PM
#
I bought one of these netbooks from ebay for $130 to use for school. It is perfect for taking notes, but there is no type of calendar or "to do" program. I had a mobilepro 900 (ce 4.2) that i used to use, but i sold it, and i loved the tasks program where you could easily add or delete tasks, which was perfect for homework assignments. So if anyone has a mp900/900c and could somehow get that program (tasks) off of it, and send it to me, that would be awesome! thanks in advance!
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-22 7:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-19 8:22 AM

It plays the Youtube videos fine...no lag, no jumpiness, just like it should. I haven't tried playing an MP4 or Divx movie yet...something for later.

Please update us on the above?
ALSO:
__can you see streaming video like NBC Nightly news, with no breaks in the sound portion?
__seems this netbook has USB host functionality; on which ports does it have it?
__I have seen a pic of a side of the netbook with all the ports there; is it the left side,or the back?
__my greatest need for speed would be to have the minimum needed on a netbook, to be able to do Skype VOICE calls to landlines as well as I do them on my PC.
Does your unit have Skype, which version, and how well does it do voice calls to regular landlines?
Thanks

Edited by Jacobi 2010-07-22 7:13 PM
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-22 8:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I understand VT8500 devices look for a new image on reboot;
does the Processor Model :VIA-ARM WM8505 on the 12" netbook work that way too?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 6:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

AFAIK the 7" VT/WM8505 netbooks will do this. Unsure about the 10" ones.

Ephraimice - 2010-07-22 10:00 AM

I bought one of these netbooks from ebay for $130 to use for school. It is perfect for taking notes, but there is no type of calendar or "to do" program. I had a mobilepro 900 (ce 4.2) that i used to use, but i sold it, and i loved the tasks program where you could easily add or delete tasks, which was perfect for homework assignments. So if anyone has a mp900/900c and could somehow get that program (tasks) off of it, and send it to me, that would be awesome! thanks in advance!

There is no native Tasks application for the 900C - you must have one with one of cmonex' ROM images flashed to it, since these include the GEMini PIMs, which were originally intended for the Sigmarion III. Search the forums for GEMini PIMs; there may still be a valid download link somewhere. Bear in mind, though, that they don't work on some of these netbooks, because some of the necessary DLLs are missing.
 Top of the page
Ephraimice
Ephraimice Page Icon Posted 2010-07-23 11:33 PM
#
Thanks. I searched the forums, and came up with a different program called cePIMS. I then searched that on google and found the files on 4shared. I downloaded it and the .rar included a calendar, contacts, and tasks program. Thanks again!
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-26 8:33 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-13 10:37 AM

Certainly not something you can carry in your pocket....BUT I CAN TYPE ON THE SILLY THING WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

And that is really important to me.

Great pics on this netbook, including the mobo!
Besides remembering reading somewhere,
that the keyboard on the Sigmarion III was backlit,
I haven't seen that feature offered on other netbooks?
So I'm wondering what is the best color choice, to type on a netbook in poor-lighting conditions?
Please help me to to compare the difference between a netbook with white keyboard vs. black keyboard.
Can you please type on your netbook in near-darkness as you would deem regularly usable, and
tell me if light coming from the screen seems to reflect at all on the white keyboard,
in such a way that it does make it easier to use than a black one, in rather low lighting?
Or also, is the white keyboard easier to see, just because of reflecting ambient light?
If so, it would be a plus to buy a netbook with a white keyboard,
rather than with a black keyboard...
Important to decide, before paying $130!
I would really appreciate your answer.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-26 9:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

When it is dark, it is dark. The screen creates enough light to see normally, but still can be shadowy....to solve the problem, you can use this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-2-USB-Keyboard-Lights-/300448342983?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f41de3c7
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-26 11:12 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-26 4:06 PM

The screen creates enough light to see normally, but still can be shadowy....

Any difference you can see for that, between the black and white keyboards?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-26 11:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't have a black keyboard one to compare to, but even the white one is not that good. If I go to a dark website, then I have a hard time seeing the keys...on the other hand, I don't sight type anyways, so it is not really an issue for me....

But you got me thinking and I might just install a little diode in the lid somewhere and wire it directly to the 5V on one of the USB ports just to be cool...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 6:11 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Someone asked: I understand VT8500 devices look for a new image on reboot; does the Processor Model :VIA-ARM WM8505 on the 12" netbook work that way too?

The answer is yes. I have successfully reflashed the device using the SD card on bootup. You have to be careful however. Most of the WM8505/VT8505 flashes are for the 7" netbooks. Use those and you end up with a funky 7" screen.

There is a seperate 10" version available here: http://devio.us/~nextvolume/via_arm/viewtopic.php?id=6&t_id=3

The only problem is that the flash still contains the illegal copies of Textmaker and Planmaker and SpreadCE.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This netbook seems to be cool. Isn't it?

Is it powerful enough to load any web pages or did you notice it stucks with some kind of complex ones?
Does it plays youtube videos directly from web pages?

Unfortunately they seem not to ship to Italy!!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 8:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, since it is IE 6.0, I imagine that any handheld that uses that version of IE would display the page in the same fashion.

It loads the webpage into the viewer and then displays it like all the cheapo netbooks....
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 9:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

So, how does it handle web pages with java script and flash?
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10