x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My CE6 10.2" Netbook

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-27 10:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Give me an example web page to view and I'll let you know.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-28 8:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-19 8:22 AM

The only time I was ever able to print graphics from any CE handheld device was when directly connecting a PCL3 compatible USB printer directly to my 900C. Then it printed just like a desktop would.
id you try

Which printer driver did you use for your PCL3 printer on the 900c?
Any chance the driver might work under CE6?
Did you try to priint with the PCL3 printer on your 10" netbook?
Btw
I see on thise netbook pics, there are 3 USB ports side by side:
which one(s) have host functionality
?
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-07-28 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

OK...Try these:

http://www.mymovies.it/tv/raidue/
http://ipmart-forum.it/

...and what about facebook?

Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-28 9:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-19 8:22 AM

It plays the Youtube videos fine...no lag, no jumpiness, just like it should. I.

So it seems it would do video chat really well?
Btw have you used Skype on this netbook, what features and how well did it work?

It would be great to get your answer here;
But if you could have time to switch and answer in my Skype thread here;

"Using Skype to make voice calls to landlines on WinCE6 netbooks"
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=49

I would really appreciate as I'm tryjng to gather answers there, regarding any types of CE6 netbooks.
The Skype focus there is quite useful to the community I believe:
In my view, the possibility of using the netbook as a Skype phone is
as super
as being able to browse the web and use email for free and with portability, at wifi hotspots.
And a great help if you don't have much money for landline or cell phone bills!!
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-29 5:44 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Can you give a link to the manual?
It's very useful for getting to know a device better, especially before buying
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-29 6:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

As you would expect, JAVA is not supported on the Chinese netbooks. Here are 3 pics for you. The first two are the two websites you posted earlier. The top half shows the netbook without Java, the bottom half of the pic shows it on my desktop.

The next 3 pics show the reflash of the unit using the SD card. The top pics shows the process after it is booting, the next shows the desktop (in Chinese after flashing the emergency recovery software), and the last shows the final notice that the flash was successful. At this point everything is back in English.

(site1.jpg)

(site2.jpg)

(updatestart.jpg)

(updatechinese.jpg)

(updatecomplete.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments site1.jpg (79KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments site2.jpg (88KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments updatestart.jpg (65KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments updatechinese.jpg (25KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments updatecomplete.jpg (20KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2010-07-29 7:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Is there some kind of external program to install that make gives java support?
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-29 7:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

First of all, it's great to see you can reflash/restore your device!
Really nice to know in case you kind of mess it up...
Now to add to these experimentations:
I'd like for a netbook to be able in particular, to boot with an OS entirely from SD card,
because It seems a bit risky to keep any personal data inside such a portable device,
that could be lost or stolen easily...
So the safest way would be to to use an OS and programs externally, together with the data.
Can you do that with your device?
If so, which kinds of OS can your 10" netbook boot with, entirely from the SD card?
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-07-30 1:03 AM
#
Jacobi: For everything you expect a netbook to do you are better off buying an eeepc or any of the other x86 based mini laptops/netbooks. CE cant do all that you ask, let alone expecting these cheap chinese netbooks to boot another OS off an SD card. For $50-$80 more just get a "real" netbook which will do everything you want and more.

These cheap netbooks are more for the "tinkerer" in my opinion. They may be good for people at school who need a cheap note taker, cheap travel internet appliance for the basic web surfing, checking emails etc, but they are far from full featured and the software for the most part is weak compared to their x86 counterparts.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-30 2:57 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

RTFM - 2010-07-29 8:03 PM

CE cant do all that you ask, let alone expecting these cheap chinese netbooks to boot another OS off an SD card.

Cheers.

well thanks, but I don't have money for a X86 mini.
So I hope other people are going to answer too, with some more facts and opinions.
My questions regarding Skype come from the fact that the majority of these Chinese netbooks do come with Skype installed!
As regards booting from SD card, I read the SmartQ7 can do that, with Android, Linux and WinCE.
And I believe some of the members have booted from SD card on some of the Chinese notebooks?.

These cheap netbooks are more for the "tinkerer" in my opinion

Yes, that's where the fun is, and I'm amazed at all that Rich Hawley has accomplished on his (cheap?) Chinese netbook!
Hoping there'll be more of that
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2010-07-30 1:54 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I saw the 7" genbook @ kmart wile i was looking fro the tablet, but for those that want a 10" with good specs they will probably get those 2, same specs as the tablet i just got.

http://augenus.com/indexhome.html/GENBOOK.html

I should say although i saw the 7" model, it only has the wm8505 and the 128mb, It's the 10" that has the good stuff.

Edited by thcrw739 2010-07-30 1:57 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2010-07-30 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I have to agree w/ RTFM--these netbooks are mostly handles to jiggle so that they can sometimes imitate real netbooks. But even when they're imitating features, they don't alway do the job well, and so can't be depended on. I use my Chinese linux laptops all the time, and while they can do amazing things given their limitations, I don't count on them for anything more that docs, email, and text browsing. Anything else is gravy, and don't forget that the hardware is lousy in these things--so you can't count on them to be around for long.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-07-30 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I really second RTFM's recommendation for you to look at previous generations x86 mini's (eeePC or even earlier units by Fujistsu or Dell) for your needs. If money is that tight, then you really can't afford the hit-or-miss nature of these machines (I'm reminded of the old saying of wise workmen "I can't afford cheap tools..." ).

Don't get me wrong -- I love a bargain but sometimes you are going to running smack into the tension between cheap, fast, and right.

I'm not sure that I understand your concerns regarding "security" (fwiw, I work at a college). You envision having a SD card that you will remember to unload and replace it someplace "safe" after shutting down your mini? I've washed many a USB drive and more importantly seen students leave them somewhere, get their wallets stolen, etc.

If you really want a SD or USB-based OS, you might do more research into live linux distributions. Puppy is the easiest (fastest to set up) in my limited experience (once you realize that you have your "own" OS, it means that you can borrow any computer (school, lab, friends, coffee shop) and as long as it isn't too locked down, replace/customize it for your own (temporary) use). But there's always some risk.

Just my 0.02.

Jacobi - 2010-07-29 2:46 PM
First of all, it's great to see you can reflash/restore your device!
Really nice to know in case you kind of mess it up...
Now to add to these experimentations:
I'd like for a netbook to be able in particular, to boot with an OS entirely from SD card,
because It seems a bit risky to keep any personal data inside such a portable device,
that could be lost or stolen easily...
So the safest way would be to to use an OS and programs externally, together with the data.
Can you do that with your device?
If so, which kinds of OS can your 10" netbook boot with, entirely from the SD card?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-07-30 6:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Don't know about the Skype thing...never used it, never tried it. As far as loading another OS from SD, I guess it is possible, but it would take someone smarter than me to do it. I mean if it automatically is looking to load something on boot up, even if it is looking to update, then it has the potential to load something into ram and run it.

My netbook wasn't designed to do everything, nor do I expect it to. Simple surfing and checking email makes me happy. If I need something more, I'll go with one of my many laptops that are sitting around collecting dust...soon to be on eBay. Too much crap here.
 Top of the page
Jacobi Page Icon Posted 2010-07-31 6:17 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-30 1:12 PM
My netbook wasn't designed to do everything, nor do I expect it to. Simple surfing and checking email makes me happy.

Agreed! That's what I can do too on my Psion netbook Pro (WinCE 4.2), plus add simple spreadsheets.
I use it just for touch'n'go, portable computing.
For more substantive computing, the sit-down kind, I use my laptop.

Rich Hawley - 2010-07-30 1:12 PM

Don't know about the Skype thing...never used it, never tried it

Well here is why I need to get a WinCE6 netbook,
it's too difficult to install Skype on the Psion and I don't think it would work on it.
Skype is primarily a software phone.
Once you have installed Skype software on your PC/laptop,
you only need plain-vanilla internet for phone connectivity,
(with your laptop connected to your home router, or to a wifi hotspot, etc.),
For hardware, you need a computer (PC, later HPC, etc.),
with headphone and mic jacks, and a headset, that's all.
You can also install it to and run it from a USB flashdrive, SD card, etc.,
so you can see it's extremely portable!

If you buy a phone # and 1 year' SkypeOut service, total about $60,
with that you can use your # as your home phone, but without the tie up:
instead, you can receive phone calls to your # from anywhere you are in the world,
and make phone calls as well from anywhere in the world, on anyone's PC etc...
In the US and Canada phone calls are free 24/7.
The only limitation is that you have to be online, to receive calls.
(Though you can pay extra for a feature that will push calls to your cell phone).

I'm looking forward to have a CE6 netbook that I won't mind to leave on and keep online,
so I won't wear out my laptop just for a phone.

Besides voice phone calls, Skype also has lots of other addons: SMS, chat, video conferencing, etc.,
though the connectivity there is more like the P2P type I believe, so personally I don't use them.
Btw so far as announced by Skype, voice phone call are sent encrypted.

As I mentioned in my Skype on Netbooks thread,
"Using Skype to make voice calls to landlines on WinCE6 netbooks"
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=49
for me Skype has totally replaced my old landline.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12