x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SIMpad sl4 problem with web pages

Tombraider Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 9:00 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have Windows HPC 2000 3.0 also known as Windows CE 2.0 on my SIM pad.
Even if I turn off images and all caching in IE, the SIMpad seizes up when I try to go to the "My Yahoo" page - it continues to try to open the page forever and then stylus clicks stop working.

I wind up doing a reset with the button.

Is this a problem that would be helped by loading CE 4.1 on this device or is it hopeless?

Is there a solution to this in CE 3.0? Is there anyway to close out IE when it seizes up without a hard reset - remember the clicks are NOT working. Is there something like control-alt-delete in CE 3.0?

Thanks in advance.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 10:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

*stops, glares, carries on*

"HPC 2000 3.0 also known as Windows CE 2.0"

What?

Windows CE 2.0 is the H/PC 2.0 release
H/PC 3.0 is the CE 2.11 relase
HPC2000 is the CE 3.0 release

The three terms are in no way interlinked or known as each other.

Moved to HPC2000 support
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 11:58 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Tombraider - 2005-06-24 7:00 AM

I have Windows HPC 2000 3.0 also known as Windows CE 2.0 on my SIM pad.
Even if I turn off images and all caching in IE, the SIMpad seizes up when I try to go to the "My Yahoo" page - it continues to try to open the page forever and then stylus clicks stop working.

I wind up doing a reset with the button.

Is this a problem that would be helped by loading CE 4.1 on this device or is it hopeless?

Is there a solution to this in CE 3.0? Is there anyway to close out IE when it seizes up without a hard reset - remember the clicks are NOT working. Is there something like control-alt-delete in CE 3.0?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there! I got my SL4 flashed to CE.NET 4.1 and it basically gives me IE5.5, ie surf >90% of websites without a problem. Actually, I have not found a page I cannot surf yet. Yahoo! mail definitely works as I checked my email and downloaded an attachment the other day (Some attachment called "HEre's the info.scr" ... ... nah, its a file from cmonex to run on the SL4.

With some fake dlls, most of the apps I need works out of the box. Apps that does not work (yet) includes:

1. SQ.exe (both HPC and PPC version. PPC version runs but I am lost with it)
2. TextMaker

Apps that run so far:
1. TC2.0 (File explorer app on steroid!)
2. uBook (eReader)
3. Tombo (notes taker)
4. PocketHost

Native apps that works great:
1. Media Player (but does not contain codec for some formats)
2. RDP over WLAN (works but onscreen keyboard does not work with it, so you need to activate the desktop onscreen keyboard within the session. Accessories->Accessibility)
3. ActiveSync over WLAN

Cards that work (with CF->PCcard adapter):
1. 512MB Rosewill CF card
2. Pretec CompactWLAN CF card

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Tombraider - 2005-06-24 3:00 PM

yes you should upgrade to ce.net 4.1 if browsing is important for you, it is much better

ctrl+alt+del does exist in hpc2000 though it might not work on the simpad as it doesn't have a keyboard.. (but it isn't for restart but for closing a frozen app)

Edited by cmonex 2005-06-24 5:32 PM
 Top of the page
pyrite65 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 2:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello from my SIMpad! I'm just saying hi before I flash
 Top of the page
skywalker2005 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, just wonder how the speed you guys surf Internet. I was able to flash the simpad to ce.net 4.1 but the IE seems still quite slow comparing to my old laptop.
I have cisco aironet 340 card installed on simpad, and the IE runs like dial up though I have DSL connection.

Sometimes pages are not displayed and I need to keep refresh it and then it loads.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-10 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

skywalker2005 - 2005-08-10 5:51 PM

Hi, just wonder how the speed you guys surf Internet. I was able to flash the simpad to ce.net 4.1 but the IE seems still quite slow comparing to my old laptop.
I have cisco aironet 340 card installed on simpad, and the IE runs like dial up though I have DSL connection.

Sometimes pages are not displayed and I need to keep refresh it and then it loads.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Is good enough for me. Though I have to agree that its not as fast as desktop. But definitely not dial-up speed.

It definitely is not snappy on scripts!
 Top of the page
skywalker2005 Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 5:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I had upgrade the firmware and driver of my cisco card but the speed is still slow, the ping time to the router/gateway is around 150 ms, my laptop only takes 1ms.

just curious what's the typical ping time of yours?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-11 11:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

skywalker2005 - 2005-08-11 3:57 PM

I had upgrade the firmware and driver of my cisco card but the speed is still slow, the ping time to the router/gateway is around 150 ms, my laptop only takes 1ms.

just curious what's the typical ping time of yours?

I'll need to try that out tomorrow ... will let you know.

Tomb, you got your SL4 around to try out a ping test?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 1:59 AM
#
H/PC Elder

skywalker2005 - 2005-08-11 2:57 PM
the ping time to the router/gateway is around 150 ms, my laptop only takes 1ms.

Do you mean your laptop with the same wireless card? If you're talking about your laptop with a 100Mbps ethernet connection then there's no comparison obviously

And back to your original question about how fast webpages load; it really depends on a lot more than just the network card. Your CPU and RAM in the Simpad is nothing compared to any Pentium II class computer (and less than nothing to newer PCs. That is the most likely cause of the speed difference on certain webpages.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-13 10:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

pyrite65 - 2005-06-25 12:48 AM

Hello from my SIMpad! I'm just saying hi before I flash

And pyrite65 was never heard from again ... ... so I guess we know how the flashing turned out ...
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 1:59 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Grunt. Someone here said SL4s are virtually brickproof. Now I'm concerned again. I have a friends e740 sitting in a drawer, bricked.
She's none too happy with me even tho' she begged me to flash it. (hmm, that doesn't sound right)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-08-22 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Elder

wallythacker - 2005-08-21 11:59 PM

Grunt. Someone here said SL4s are virtually brickproof. Now I'm concerned again. I have a friends e740 sitting in a drawer, bricked.
She's none too happy with me even tho' she begged me to flash it. (hmm, that doesn't sound right)

hmmm ... let's see, e740 != SL4! ... so although SL4s are virtually brickproof ... does not imply that a e740 is also brickproof ...

oh, and with regards to folks who are ungrateful for your help and turn on you even though they begged you to flash it ... its just too bad they are immature and not able to bear the consequences.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11