x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 question

MasterYster Page Icon Posted 2010-08-05 6:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey guys I recently bought a Jornada 720 from an estate sale for 10 bucks! The battery was dead but otherwise it was great. I have slowly become familiar with it. I also just joined the forum ! My question is, can I boot say, windows ce 4.0 off a CF card? I'll be back in a bit so no rush
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-08-05 2:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

With that device, no, I'm afraid not.
 Top of the page
anonymous
anonymous Page Icon Posted 2010-08-05 3:48 PM
#
sounds like you should use linux instead if you are fed up with wince
 Top of the page
MasterYster Page Icon Posted 2010-08-05 4:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wait but if you can boot linux of a CF card isn't possible to boot windows? Windows CE 4 was an example. I would be fine with windows ce 3. I just want to save my OS on a CF card so if the batteries completely die I won't lose my data
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-05 5:39 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

JLime (Jornada Linux project) boots from the Flash drive. The WinCE OS remains permanently burnt on the ROM chip.

So, if I undertstand your real issue (data integrity), the OS itself isn't going anywhere (at least because of a battery issue). You just need to keep your data on the CF card. Installed (additional to what was provided by HP) programs will go away with a power loss. Some users have made it an art form (I'm not one of them) to have several third-party programs running alternatively off the CF card or RAM/storage drive for optimal performance (whatever that means) or ease of reinstallation after a hard reset.

Hopefully one of the HP720 faithful will jump in here, but I hope that advice gets you started.
 Top of the page
MasterYster Page Icon Posted 2010-08-05 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the tips hmascience!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10