x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ericsson MC16 and 4MB CF card

Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-06 11:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

For some reason everytime I have my 4MB plugged into my ancient monochrome rubbish the system turns itself off, only to find that when you turn it back on, it has resetted itself. Then, just as it is loading the desktop, it turns off and resets itself again and again, with the 4MB card still plugged in. It seems to work fine with my 2MB card. Issue not critical but would be handy if fixed.

Thanks for any help.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-06 11:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You'll find a clue as to why here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0012.asp
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 8:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm not quite sure on that one because the CF card was definitely identified and when I inserted while in the folder (my Handheld PC), a Storage Card folder did appear. Anyway, aren't Ce 2 devices supposed to support cards with capacities up to 2GB?
As a final 'word', the 4MB card came with my brand new Jornada 720 I reveived last year.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 8:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, I think I just made my biggest oversight of the year - I read "MB" and saw it as "GB."

Maybe reformatting the 4 MB card will solve the problem.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2010-08-07 8:33 AM

Maybe reformatting the 4 MB card will solve the problem.
That's not going to help if I want to transport a file between 2MB and 4MB in size (it will make using the card in the Ericsson pointless).

Here's a little more detailed specification of the card. Probably don't need it but anyway,

'Hewlett Packard 4MB CompactFlash HP F1230-80001'
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 1:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Reformatting the card won't change its capacity. Perhaps you are thinking of re-partitioning the card? A reformat would be a good idea; even though CF cards are supposed to be self-checking, they do get corrupted.

Also, not all CF cards are created equal, particularly in terms of read-write cycles (and speed). FWIW, that card is supposedly a rebadged SanDisk OEM SDCFB-4 c97. Depending on what else the CF card has been subjected to, it could ready for retirement (although it seems unlikely, both in terms of its behavior and age). I'd try the reformatting first in any case.

Good luck.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

hmascience - 2010-08-07 1:48 PM

Reformatting the card won't change its capacity. Perhaps you are thinking of re-partitioning the card? A reformat would be a good idea; even though CF cards are supposed to be self-checking, they do get corrupted.

Also, not all CF cards are created equal, particularly in terms of read-write cycles (and speed). FWIW, that card is supposedly a rebadged SanDisk OEM SDCFB-4 c97. Depending on what else the CF card has been subjected to, it could ready for retirement (although it seems unlikely, both in terms of its behavior and age). I'd try the reformatting first in any case.

Good luck.
Note that the 4MB card does work flawlessly in my Jornada 720. I don't really know how to reformat a card. You're right: I was thinking about re-partitioning the card.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 5:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Reformatting is easy: just put it in a CF card reader connected to your PC, open "My Computer," right-click on it, and select "Format." Just make sure you select FAT rather than FAT32 as the format type, or the MC16 won't be able to read it. This does raise a question, though: I wonder if someone formatted it to FAT32? H/PC Pro and higher can read FAT32 volumes - that could explain why it works in the 720.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Here's another problem I have ... not just with the HPC. It has happened on both the 2MB and the 4MB, although not both at the same time. When I tried to open the 4MB card on my PC, an error message stated it 'couldn't be accessed because of I/O device error'. I am using a standard multi-card reader for both cards. I forgot to mention that both cards have worked on the MC16 before.

Edited by Paspie 2010-08-07 7:29 PM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-07 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Still sounds like data corruption. Whether or not its due to your PC, the reader, or some combination of your HPC's is hard to say. Your first step is still going to be to reformat (now both) the cards if you know there is nothing wrong with your PC/reader. If you have some data on the cards that needs to come off, you can try to get it into a HPC or download one of the free/trial data recovery tools for your PC (taking all the usual precautions re: adware, etc.).
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-19 10:11 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Good news!

It looks like a card reader fault. Luckily I have two card readers with a CF slot, so I just went back to the old one and the 4MB card is working fine.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-08-20 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2010-08-07 5:51 PM

Reformatting is easy: just put it in a CF card reader connected to your PC, open "My Computer," right-click on it, and select "Format." Just make sure you select FAT rather than FAT32 as the format type, or the MC16 won't be able to read it. This does raise a question, though: I wonder if someone formatted it to FAT32? H/PC Pro and higher can read FAT32 volumes - that could explain why it works in the 720.
The CF card was already FAT, when I click 'Format' I'm given the choice between FAT and exFAT. It's not particularly specific.
By the way, the card reader problem is sorted, I just need to remember to insert the card the right way, and insert the card before I plug the card reader into the PC.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9