x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FutureCom Neta 985

no-success Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 10:33 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

FutureCom Neta 985

anyone heard of this brand or device? they look pretty slick and run ce.net 4.1

http://store.futurecomglobal.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=103

i think they should get added to the wince devices list.

i really want a ce .net device like this with usb... any other ideas?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-24 11:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think that CPU is an x86, meaning it'd be hard to get software for.

It's better if you pick the 980 or 980X models. BTW they look similar to the Viewsonic products, not sure if they're the same.

Either way, these are way too expensive IMO. There are many other similar devices, usually sold on eBay. But as there is no real keywords to search for them, nor a proper category (Tablets? PDAs?), they are sometimes hard to find.

For example someone posted this one a while ago, which is IMO a fair price:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6778739189
 Top of the page
no-success Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 1:20 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

so if i could score one for 250 i should prolly run with it huh?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 4:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If you're still talking about the 985, like I said, better invest on an ARM based device instead.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 5:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I agree with tawku completely. you should get a StrongArm/XScale device, as those are the ones that have more software available for them.
 Top of the page
Wasatch Wizard
Wasatch Wizard Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 4:30 PM
#
If an application is developed for .Net CF, wouldn't it run on any Windows CE.net device? Isn't that the purpose of using the CF in the first place - the CPU, OS doesn't matter?

Am I wrong?

Thanks!
-waswiz
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-02 3:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If it was developed properly...

First, not many apps are developed for .Net CF. And I have tried .Net apps developed for PPCs that don't work with my CE .Net device. So if you know the software you want to run on it, first check their compatibility; but if you're expecting to go shopping for .Net CF apps as you need, don't count on it.

I recommend ARM devices for running native CE apps. There are more of them compiled for ARM than other CPU types.

Edited by takwu 2005-07-02 3:21 AM
 Top of the page
David G
David G Page Icon Posted 2005-07-02 11:48 PM
#
The 985 is a pretty good net appliance. We bought one at work and have used it successfully as a Citrix client. As a CE machine it is limited as it is X86 based. It doesn't even use a standard CE desktop. I like the company and own (and am using) my Neta 980 - Strong Arm based CE 4.1 machine - to respnd to your posting.

Both are nice pieces of hardware. The 980 is the more compatible unit. You can get them new or slightly "demo'ed" om eBay for around $250.
 Top of the page
mikesm Page Icon Posted 2005-07-05 6:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi. Does the neta 980 have a CE.net 4.2 upgrade available? I really would like to use one, but need WPA support to integrate in the wireless environment it would be used in... I understand ce.net 4.2 is needed for this.

Thanks,
Mike
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10