x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

TRADE : Jornada 720 with MobilePro 900 or 900c

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-06-27 1:18 PM

Rich, if you're suitably endowed with time, making a CE5 ROM isn't an impossible goal.

pitone671, I promise you will never make a WM5 rom for it. CE5, yes and there are a few of us around here also who could bolt one together with you.

eh, i'm seriously willing to participate. i don't have too much knowledgeof all this, or programming for the time being but i want to learn as much as i can (and as soon as possible ), and i'm willing to test stuff too.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 1:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hum, well you'd need a MP900 series for a start.

Also something worth noting would be that as NEC don't offer the ROM's up on a plate, if the lfash goes bad, or you wanted to go back again... there would be a problem.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 2:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ohhh, it would sure make me cry to try and flash my rom and have it go belly up...I'd cry like a baby.

When you all get it working, let me know...I mean obviously it is possible, because you can easily flash the 900 with the CE.NET upgrade, and you can flash the prototype 900Cs with the newer version of CE.NET as well. Perhaps by examing those files you might be able to get some clues on how to do it.

Actually, if I had one wish for OS software, I'd like some hack that would allow me to have a virtual desktop that wasn't limited to the 240 vertical pixel limit. Something I could scroll around in. There is a lot of pocketpc software that runs just fine, but it is truncated at the bottom...and I just can't get to it.

Wish Nyditot would work...

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 3:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-06-27 7:57 PM

Hum, well you'd need a MP900 series for a start.

Also something worth noting would be that as NEC don't offer the ROM's up on a plate, if the lfash goes bad, or you wanted to go back again... there would be a problem.

as you already know, the first problem has been solved , the second is quite worrying though

Edited by cmonex 2005-06-27 3:08 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 3:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2005-06-27 8:09 PM

There is a lot of pocketpc software that runs just fine, but it is truncated at the bottom...and I just can't get to it.
Rich

try using tabs, can help a lot sometimes sorry if it was too obvious for you!
 Top of the page
pitone671 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 9:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Regarding potential flashing problems:

Recent ROM images (from various Windows embedded device manufacturers) contain a bootloader that checks at for a firmware upgrade at boot time. If the right file containing the firmware is found the ROM image gets flashed in the device. If the system is correctly designed the bootloader itself is not replaced so if something goes wrong during flash, you just reboot at start the procedure again. Going back to the original ROM images is possible if a backup is done first. Doing a ROM dump to preserve the original ROM should always be done first.

If the bootloader is never replaced during flash ROM upgrade/replacement is it rather rare to lose a device forever, just flash again in case of problems and usually everything works ok.

If the bootloader itself has to be reflashed during ROM upgrade (poor firmware design) then it is a risk to flash a device because if you loose the bootloader then the device is bricked.

My guess is that the MobilePro's bootloader is designed to upgrade the firmware without replacing itself. NEC would not have proposed a fimware upgrade from the 900 to the 900c if the procedure was risky.

Regards
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 11:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh this is fairly the same i think about it. so you just have to find the right drivers, etc, and get the MP bootloader accept the image. and that's it. hahaha

pitone671, i'd have a question for you, i've sent you a PM, please check it out, many thanks!
 Top of the page
pitone671 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Cmonex

Getting the MobilePro bootloader to accept the image should not be an issue since ROM images are normally all in the Windows CE ROM image format. Some manufacturer add some bits of information like a checksum of the image but all the ROM upgrades I have seen where CE ROM images.

NEC probably did the same for the MobilePro so this should not be an issue.

Regards
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 5:09 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok, i hope you're right! let's get down to business then and start the project!
 Top of the page
pitone671 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 9:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sure,

When I have a 900 or 900c

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9