x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Desktop WINCE archive - how much you have?

1 2
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 3:02 AM
#
Just curious here.

To my surprise I can't fit all my Wince / PPC software onto a 4.3gb DVD. It was desktop backup time for me and subtracting my CE/PPC backups, my maps and videos (which aren't programs are they?) I still need 5gb to backup my CE/PPC software.

I don't keep anything but the cabs in zipped form (unless there is a desktop companion program like Ewallet). I throw away the installers after extracting the cabs and docs so I was surprised at how much I've accumulated in two years.

Mind you, I learned to keep the cabs for all platforms (mips/arm/sh3) and cores (2.11/3.0/ppc) just in case I get a different device. I do discard the older version of a program, so it's not like I have all the versions of WR Tools or Resco products ever produced (an example)
So, yea, I have a lot of redundant zipped cabs but stil I was surprised at my library size.

So how about the rest of you? How do you store your CE stuff on your desktop? Do you keep the full installers or just the cab(s) once the install is done? How large is your library?
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I keep the cabs of the programs that can be installed from cabs.
My vidoe files are an issue though.
There is no portable media big enough to contain my video collection (besides a portable harddisk) I dont want to burn 20 DVD's to backup my hpc-optimized movies though. I might just have to get me a network storage solution to use for backup or more secure storage. Currently I use a harddisk that has already been revived from being dead 8 times. But since this harddisk doesnt get a lot of actual use it has been working for 3 years like that.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 11:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have the perfect large storage soloution.
Pick yourself up some LaCie Firewire D2 disks from eBay (ones with dead drives cheap and easy) then just get yourself some Super sized IDE disks, flash the firmware on the Caddy with the latest D2 release from www.lacie.com and pop the new IDE in.

Hook it up to a Firewire card and you're laughing. The LaCie caddies are a good chunk of sturdy metal, good product, and standalone/stackable. 400/800 bus on the system, daisy chain a couple of disks running at UDMA 6 and you have channel space on a 400 firewire bus for 3 disks going at full speed, and obviously 6 on an 800 - like you'll ever be using the entire array symmetrically at full speed anyway!

Well.... that's what I did
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nice trick, but unfortunately I dont have firewire (yet) and I'm cheap too !
I'd rather have a harddisk with either a wifi connection on it or a 10/100 connection so that I dont have to worry about hooking it up to a computer to access the files.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 6:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

good question

my archive is mainly hpc2000 arm software, both cabs and installers, if i didn't run an installer it's just there, if i did, then i'll replace it with the cab (only arm version).
and my j720 folder just totals 4.57 GB so it'll fit on a single DVD. *relieved sigh*
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 1:44 PM
#
Hmmm, cmonex, just between you and I we have 10gb of CE stuff. Granted, we probably have some duplicates but that's still a hefty number. It will be interesting to see how much other "heavy hitters" check in with. That means you c:amie.

And who says there's no software out there for CE devices?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 2:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't archive applications for anything aside what I immediatly use - and site licenses.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 6:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

10 GB, not bad, is that including the videos? mine isn't and my archive isn't complete either, as i'm not interested in every kind of stuff. but it would be a good idea to make a complete archive and get it on the web! i'd be glad to even host it
 Top of the page
Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 9:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

You guys really should get together with Rich over at HPC Nec so that he can add your stuff to his software listings of things.

Alternatively, host the archive, I'm sure many here would love access to that quantity/variety of software

Keep up the good work

Guyturf
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 1:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well most of the software i have isn't something you can't get easily from elsewhere.
but i'd like an archive, as the other hpc software sites usually just link to the original author's page and if that site goes down, you might be out of luck finding another place on the web to download the particular software...
fyi, hpcnec lists the (hpc2000) software that works on ce.net 4.2, my software archive is plain hpc2000.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 2:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Alright, I get the message.

The first thing that needs to be done if there is to be an archive found somewhere is to create a rough index of what content the participants have. There is no point in initiating batch uploads of duplicated or out dated content.

The simplest way to get a file index (and hopefully you have a structured local archive rather than a file dump) is to just make a text file map of it.

You can get a text file list of all your information quite simply by opeing up command prompt under windows, switching to the root of your archive and entering
dir /b /s *.* > mylist.txt

So for example if your archive is at d:\my stuff\hpc\programs\ and everything else comes under \programs\

Open Command prompt
d: (enter)
cd my stiff\hpc\programs (enter)
dir /b /s *.* > mylist.txt (enter)

This will create a file called mylist.txt at d:\my stuff\hpc\programs\ with all your directories and files indexed within.

Zip it up and post it to the board, let others compare your content.

If you're all still serious after that, we'll go from there.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

cool, thanks for contributing to the project!
of course, i'll make a file soon, and upload it.
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 3:21 PM
#
yea, I'm in on this idea too. Like, cmonex, a lot of my stuff isn't readily available elsewhere. And I didn't include videos or music or maps in my total. I think it's pretty organized.

I'll generate the text list and massage it to remove things I bought that don't require registration. Oh heck, I'll just gen the list and worry about that later.

umm, where to upload the list to?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 3:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's just what I said cmonex should do

Into the forum provided it's not too large (zip her up if needed)
 Top of the page
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 9:52 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

1asphost.com Lets you host 100mb for free

That's a good alternative instead of using the forum.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9