x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hide It! Pro error message on Jornada 720

The Bishop Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 3:55 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I downloaded the Hide It! Pro onto my J720 exactly as required but I'm receiving an error message stating that it had performed an illegal operation and will shut down. I have removed it and reloaded several times, even after loading the patch from their website for the mistaken PC problem. Does anyone have it working on their J720?
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 5:12 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Mmm, just tried it, and i have the same problem in my J728
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the problem is that the installer will install the ppc version.
first i tried to install the hpcarm.cab, of course (this is always my method), but it won't install. and obviously, the ppc version won't work... i'll try something, will report back soon
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

so, it works now. you extract the largest file (59392 bytes) out of the hpcarm.cab, for example with total commander on the destktop PC (no need for wince cabmanager which isn't free!), or winrar, etc...
you rename the 00HideIt.something to HideIt.exe and overwrite the installed exe with it on your hpc. that's it.
(there's another file in the cab, but that's identical to the ppc version and that's only a help file)
oh and it's for the free version, didn't try the other.

Edited by cmonex 2005-06-25 8:09 PM
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-25 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thank you a lot! i'm gonna try and report back soon
 Top of the page
The Bishop Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 3:56 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

How did you extract out of the cab file using Total Commander on your desktop?
I have Total commander on my desktop and J720, but I'm confused as to how I can extract the specific file that you mentioned. I have the download on my desktop and I can see it from the Total Commander, but I do not know the procedure on how to extract and rename the specific file for download or transfer to my J720. This download has moved from being simple to complicating for the novice like myself. Thanks for the simple instructions.

The Bishop
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 4:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Find the file attached

EDIT: File now removed
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks for the hot link!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 6:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

The Bishop - 2005-06-26 9:56 PM

How did you extract out of the cab file using Total Commander on your desktop?
I have Total commander on my desktop and J720, but I'm confused as to how I can extract the specific file that you mentioned. I have the download on my desktop and I can see it from the Total Commander, but I do not know the procedure on how to extract and rename the specific file for download or transfer to my J720.

no particular procedure, totalcommander deals with a cab file as if it were a zip file for example. meaning, you just click on it and TC will go inside the cab, then you copy the file out. just like with a zip file.
 Top of the page
The Bishop Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 9:01 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks C:Amie, It loaded and works great!!!
 Top of the page
net314 Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 3:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello,

I am the author of HideIt! Professional for Windows Powered Devices.

First, I would like to thank you for your interest in the program and I really hope you'll find useful.

As I replied to a user's e-mail regarding the issue with installing the wrong executable: the Jornada 720 has a wrong registry key in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive that when read by the CeAppMgr.exe (part of ActiveSync) the device is incorrectly recognized as a Pocket PC 2000 device. This causes the installation script to install the wrong version of the program, thus the application crashes on launch.

If the J720 registry patch is applied beforehand, the installer will detect the device correctly and the installation script will load the correct version. The problem is that there are some utilities (Language Extender) that will prevent the patch to install; to workaround this issue, the solution is to install the patch as soon as possible.

This is a known issue to HP since 2001, I've contacted them (and provided my solution for free to them for a future update for the J720) but nothing happened, so I decided to provide the fix from my site. Problem is that an awful lot of people are not aware of this problem - even the various posts of the fix to sites (PocketPCcity was the first non-HPC site to mention the patch and I submit it there in order to alert people for this issue) and this causes not only HideIt! but many other HPC programs (the ones that are distributed as multi-version packages) to install incorrectly.

You can also install the program by copying the file hideitproce_hpc.arm.cab to your Jornada and by tapping on it (from the Windows CE File Explorer) will install it correctly (both the application and the shell extension).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-24 9:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks for the information so you wrote the patch, cool!

i do use language extender

strangely that cab wouldn't install if i remember right. (i wrote so in this thread earlier)
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2006-01-31 2:18 PM
#
Just a note about my experience with HideIt Pro on a Jornada 720...
On my device, the program author's registry patch did not correct the installation problems (noted above, by others) where the installer loads PPC software instead of HPC software.

The work around offered by cmonex worked fine with the Free version. (unpack the hpc_arm.cab, and rename the largest extracted file as HideIt.exe).

I liked the free version, and decided it was well worth the $10 registration fee.
The same installation problems apply to the Registered version. I had several exchanges with the program author, while trying to make it go.

Here's a brief summary of what needs to be done to install the registered version:

-Uninstall the free version from J720 and the PC that you use to sync with it.
(Make sure all related .cab files are removed from PC download directory.)
-Sync J720 with PC.
-From the PC, Run the installation program (as downloaded from net314, HideItProCE123c.exe).
-Choose 'purchase' as the installation option.
-Follow all the eSellerate steps for purchase and automatic installation on the PC and then onto the J720.
(This will result in the PPC version being installed on the J720.)
-Find the hideitproce_hpc.arm.cab file on the PC (downloaded and upacked with other versions during the registration process).
-Unpack this file, Rename the largest file HideIt.exe, and copy it to the J720, overwriting the PPC file of the same name.

If it doesn't work the first time, repeat the process above. Except, when the first eSellerate window appears, press the 'Alt' button until the 'Reinstall' button appears, and follow the instructions from there.

Edited by Dave Wurm 2006-01-31 2:23 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.185 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12