x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Use Ipod as 20gig HD for J720?

Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 9:18 AM
#
I heard somewhere that Flash drives don't work. I'm sure someone here has a solution.

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on it. Sorry if this was brought up somehwere else.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 9:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

... an ipod isn't a flash drive
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 10:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

the harddrive from a creative has been used for pocketpc's.
the 4gb in there has been replaced with a cf card, and the microdrive has been used in pocketpc devices. they might work in hpc's as well.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 12:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If you're talking about opening an ipod and using it's HDD for a Jornada, it should be possible (ipod's hdd is a standard hdd). if you're talking about putting your ipod in disk mode and plugging it into the jornada, it's impossible at the moment, as there's no USB or FireWire support for the J's

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
wally
wally Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 1:21 PM
#
AFAIK, the Ipod requires drivers to be seen as a hdd on a desktop box.
IIRC, only the 6651 can use a standard external USB hdd in an enclosure or some jukeboxes (Lyra among them)
 Top of the page
Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 1:37 PM
#
Oh yea, of course, I don't know why I called it a flash drive. So only the 6651 can use it? Bummer. So much for throwing all the Family Guy eps. on there.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 2:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

well... we're awating information from Nick Charlton on a PPC2002 driver hack for a host controller...

Depending on what happens there depends on whether it will ever be possible
 Top of the page
bobbarker
bobbarker Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 3:41 PM
#
If JLime ever becomes available for the J720 I'm sure you could get it to be in Disk Mode and have it run on the little serial cable you get a USB to serial converter and end up with a long cable but it might just somehow maybe work. I dunno.

One trick you can do on an iPod is open the Diagnostics menu and put it into "Sleep" and it will make the iPod appear as if it is got a dead battery...and won't turn on till you do a reset. It's a fun trick to play on people who ain't too smart.
(Diagnostics menu can be accessed by reseting (press OK and play) and holding the Rewind+Forward+OK (center) button...if you have a new iPod then just do Rewind and OK button. Once the screen goes blank release the buttons and a backwards Apple logo comes up...enjoy diagnostics.
 Top of the page
Scala
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 4:16 PM
#
Wahaha nice Ipod prank, my friend would kill me if I did it to him.

Are you all sure JLime isn't available on J720? I thought I saw it on the website.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 4:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

bobbarker - 2005-06-26 2:41 PM

If JLime ever becomes available for the J720 I'm sure you could get it to be in Disk Mode and have it run on the little serial cable you get a USB to serial converter and end up with a long cable but it might just somehow maybe work. I dunno.

One trick you can do on an iPod is open the Diagnostics menu and put it into "Sleep" and it will make the iPod appear as if it is got a dead battery...and won't turn on till you do a reset. It's a fun trick to play on people who ain't too smart.
(Diagnostics menu can be accessed by reseting (press OK and play) and holding the Rewind+Forward+OK (center) button...if you have a new iPod then just do Rewind and OK button. Once the screen goes blank release the buttons and a backwards Apple logo comes up...enjoy diagnostics.

Look into the forums for more info:
Connecting a serial device to a USB Host port is possible (example: J6xx sync via usb to serial converter)
Connecting a USB Host device to a serial port is not possible (example: ipod on J serial port)

Hope this clarifies the issue
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 6:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wally - 2005-06-26 7:21 PM

AFAIK, the Ipod requires drivers to be seen as a hdd on a desktop box.
IIRC, only the 6651 can use a standard external USB hdd in an enclosure or some jukeboxes (Lyra among them)

no, not only the 6651, nope.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 6:03 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Scala - 2005-06-26 10:16 PM

Wahaha nice Ipod prank, my friend would kill me if I did it to him.

Are you all sure JLime isn't available on J720? I thought I saw it on the website.

it isn't, at this time. but we hope, it will be available soon, they're already working on it
 Top of the page
Scala Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 1:03 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Sorry for bringing this back up again...

Cmonex did you say that the 6651 will support the hdd w/o special drivers
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 3:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

The 6651 supports lots of USB goodies with the USB driver pack (readily available)
Mice, flash readers, external hdds, keyboards, and some usb nics.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2005-06-26 7:15 PM

well... we're awating information from Nick Charlton on a PPC2002 driver hack for a host controller...

Depending on what happens there depends on whether it will ever be possible

I'm trying

Anyone want to donate a CF Type 2 CF adaptor? Or buy my one listed on eBay so I can afford one?

Nick
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 31