x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Connecting the IBM z50 to the internet via ericsson T39

LordAbal Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 4:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I have a problem with my z50 when trying to connect to the internet via my Ericsson T39's GPRS, using the infrared port.

- I use de Generic IRDA driver provided by you (on com 3).
- I have Orange Romania as a provider and the modem needs to be configured with Extra settings: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","internet".
I use the same settings on my computer (via bluetooth) with the same phone and it works fine. I dial the "*99***1#".

The problem:

- If i enter the extra settings string on my z50, the phone doesn't do anything and on the z50 the "no carrier" message appears.

- If i DON"T enter the string (in the Dial-up Connection/Properties/Configure/Device Properties/Call Options/Extra Settings), when i try to connect, the phone displays "Connecting" and after a short while the z50 says "Device connected", but the phone still says "connecting". After another short while, the z50 says that i have been disconnected.

Worth mentioning:
- I can connect my z50 to the internet via the T39, but through CSD (so the infrared drivers work) - i dial 545.

Does the Generic IRDA driver support the Extra Settings? If it does, do i enter them the same way as on the computer?

And the final question: Is there a solution to my problem?

Thanks,
Marius

Edited by LordAbal 2005-06-26 4:16 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-26 7:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i do have a T39 too and using gprs with it
have you tried entering the APN (internet) in the phone itself (settings/Data comm/Data accounts/Add account/and there)? you usually don't need any extra settings on the z50 with an ericsson phone.
 Top of the page
LordAbal Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Can you pls tell me the settings in win CE? pulse/tone, the dial patterns etc?

Thanks,
Marius

Top of the page
LordAbal Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 1:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think i figured out why the extra initialization string didn't work:

instead of: at+cgdcont=1,"ip","internet" (that was on the orange page)
i used: +cgdcont=1,"ip"internet"

The T39 displays "connecting" (with the old string it didn't), BUT it still doesn't work

Does the generic infrared driver support the extra initialization strings - i don't think it will work without them?

How can i enter the initialization string in the telephone number area (something like tel. no.: *99***1#;+cgdcont=1,"ip",internet"?

Has anyone succesfully used the extra initialization strings in WinCE 2.11 using the Generic IRDA driver?

Thanx again,
marius
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 1:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

modem: generic irda or whatever you have after installing the irda update
no need to configure anything there. tcp/ip settings are needed only if your service provider requires a fixed ip and/or fixed dns.
it is tone dialling and dialing patterns are G G G

so, have you tried entering the APN in your T39?
i hope it'll work
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-27 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ah i see you've just posted now

yes you don't need to write the AT command,
nor do you need to enter the *99***1# in the init string, and don't try entering the string in the telephone number area by any means, it won't work.

i really suggest you try entering the APN in the phone as i described, and don't use any string in the z50.

i think the generic driver has nothing to do with init strings. btw, are you sure you're using the right COM port for your infrared? though i suppose you are as you're able to connect..
 Top of the page
LordAbal Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 7:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok, i managed to connect through GPRS - thre reason i couldn't connect was I THINK because i hadn't unchecked the "wait for a dial tone" & the "wait 120 seconds.

A new problem came up - I can't stay connected for long. The connection drops after a minute or so.

I thought that when it said "device connected" before, it was connected to the internet, but in order to be connected to the internet, the z50 has to display first "User authenticated" and then just "Connected", no?

I thought that the T39 was the problem, but i tried to connect with a P900 and a Nokia 6820 and still nothing.

I used the init string.

Did i miss some settings?

Marius

P.S.: I managed to download the Ericsson Infrared drivers for Windows CE off the SonyEricsson page (search on the SE page: windows ce). After downloading the ModemScriptIR_WinCE_v1_english.exe, rename it to zip and it will work.
Basically it does the same thing as the Generic IRDA driver.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 7:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i never uncheck the settings for "wait for a dial tone" and "wait 120 seconds" and it works for me.. did you try it without the init string? T39 likes it if you don't give it a string

when i tried to connect with the T39 for the first time it did always drop the connection soon, but it was only due to a low battery level, your case could be more complicated

if you try the nokia 6820, it is likely that you will need to explicitly enter the string, and maybe a more complicated one than just +cgdcont etc. one possible string is as follows:
&f+cgdcont=1,"ip","internet"
OR
&f^sgauth=1; +cgdcont=1,"ip","internet"
(you can try putting a "z" before the "&" too)
and dialled number might be different, simply *99# or *99***2# (cgdcont=x should be modified accordingly), etc.. you should check the CID's in the phone to know which number will be suitable.
but the simple +cgdcont could work too (with another CID number if 1 isn't suitable)! you have to try..

i'm not familiar with the P900 or any symbian kind of sony-ericsson, try googling for it

that's all i can say now, report back
 Top of the page
LordAbal Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 11:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Q1:You also have a z50 or do you have another H/PC Pro?

Q2:What's the longest period of time you managed to stay connected?

Keep trying... Jhonny Tryer

Marius

P.S.: Today i tried a SE T610 but nothing.

Edited by LordAbal 2005-06-29 11:40 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 3:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

A1: no, i have a jornada 728.

A2: after the initial problems, it never disconnected me from GPRS (unless there was some reason for it), so the longest period is several hours for me.

it isn't good news that a T610 won't work either.. but i hope you'll solve it soon
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-06-29 12:43 AM
if you try the nokia 6820, it is likely that you will need to explicitly enter the string, and maybe a more complicated one than just +cgdcont etc. one possible string is as follows:
&f+cgdcont=1,"ip","internet"
OR
&f^sgauth=1; +cgdcont=1,"ip","internet"
(you can try putting a "z" before the "&" too)
and dialled number might be different, simply *99# or *99***2# (cgdcont=x should be modified accordingly), etc.. you should check the CID's in the phone to know which number will be suitable.
but the simple +cgdcont could work too (with another CID number if 1 isn't suitable)! you have to try..

Talking of which, I may of spotted this post a bit late, I had problems with a Nokia 3650 and infra-red drivers, the fact that it refused to connect, is there any settings I needed to add? Or do I just ditch the idea? (funny that my nokia had the problem, because the Pocket PC didn't, nor did the laptop. I also had a Nokia 6021 breifly, which connected with no problems at all!)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 2:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh yeah nokias usually need extra init strings... maybe that was the problem with your device. maybe not. but this is the most likely.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10