x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

radek200 Page Icon Posted 2010-11-14 9:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I purchased a Sylvania netbook two weeks ago. It has the exact same specs as the Chinese netbook that is frequently discussed in this forum. IE 6 has been my default browser and it has been quick up until 2 days ago. My ISP's speed has been consistent during that time period. However, my browsing has been slow. Very slow. I've heard good things about Opera mini/mobile, but I can't seem to find a decent download for it. What are my options in regards to browsers? Am I stuck with IE?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-11-14 1:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Probably...yeah. Unless Opera Mini works...sometimes it does on some devices, sometimes it doesn't...probably IE6 is your only option....

That is if you run Windows CE. Some devices can be flashed to another OS, and in that case, those browsers then become available...
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-11-14 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Regardless of the other options, you might want to figure out why IE suddenly slowed down.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2010-11-14 3:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It sounds obvious to me hmascience...it got tired...
 Top of the page
radek200 Page Icon Posted 2010-11-14 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Perhaps an energy drink will help?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2010-11-14 4:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yeap, the energy drink is Tunnel.net. Windows Mobile's like this drink too.

What does it stucks at?
 Top of the page
radek200 Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 12:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I spoke too soon. It is my wifi that is slow, not my browser. Ever since I downloaded the wifi patch from Sylvania, surfing the web has been sluggish. I used the Ethernet port earlier today; there were absolutely no speed issues. I tried to remove the patch and that screwed up everything. Any suggestions?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Out of curiosity, was your Sylvania the $85 1 GHz model or one of the 300 or so MHz versions?
 Top of the page
radek200 Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 1:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

The 300 mhz
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-11-15 2:09 AM
#
H/PC Elite

There are a few browsers that will run on ce6. Of the java based ones (using PhoneMe as jvm) there is ucweb, bolt and opera mini to name a few. Some webkit based ones like zetakey, iris, and isee work ok as well. You can find most of them in my "mega pack" of CE apps found here:
http://filefactory.com/file/b40cdc6/n/winCE6freeware.zip

While i find IE fast on basic web pages it slows to a crawl on more complex ones. Thats where the webkit browsers shine. While generally slower on simple pages i find zetakey and iris to load complex pages faster and more accurately than IE.

Cant help with your patch issue though.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
rgisondi
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2010-11-16 2:17 AM
#
RTFM, have you ever tried uzard P. On my smartphone looks very nice: it is speed and can wiev all flash videos using a custom tcpmp. Unfortunately it don't works natively in ce 6.0. After some haks on aygshell import I have been able to open the exe, but nothing more because appears an error message. Without executability check is difficult to go further. May be that you have more chance then me.
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2010-11-16 3:05 AM
#
Tried it with no luck also. Not a big deal to me. I use coreplayer for youtube videos. Somewhat tedious to navigate to the video's link, then open coreplayer, then type the video's name in the search box, but it works in a pinch.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
radek200 Page Icon Posted 2010-11-16 3:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you for the download pack. There are some great programs in that zip file. The FTX browser works well. I am just frustrated right now. I know these machines are limited, but I know mine is at least capable of decent browsing. I have seen it. Anywho, I would like to thank everyone for helping me out.
 Top of the page
radek200 Page Icon Posted 2010-11-21 2:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Update: I checked the properties of my wifi adapter (RT28701) and my primary DNS and WINS addresses were set to 192.168.1.5. I changed both addresses to 192.168.1.1 and my wifi is as fast as it has ever been.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2010-11-21 8:16 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

This is great...I was going to mention though that once my Windows CE netbook becomes hot, the internet also slows to a crawl. In the summer I actually run a fan near it and elevate it a bit to cool it down on the bottom.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11