x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Nearly there ... with a wifi card

Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-15 5:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Today my Dell Truemobile 1150 (OEM clone of the Agere Orinoco Gold) arrived at my door. I immediately began uploading the driver onto my Jornada 720 (CE3). The drivers were installed with no problems, I just had to sync with the PC as my CF card wasn't large enough. The software even detected my card when I pushed it in the PC Card slot, however after leaving it for 30 minutes, even when I soft-resetted the device, it's still searching for a network ('Network Connection: Searching'). I tried placing the Jornada about 1m away from the router, and still had the same problem. I also went into 'Indentification' in the Network Configuration program in Control Panel, and nothing has changed. Is there any way for the card to actually detect the router when it is active? (clearly as I'm using it to write this post on my main PC through wifi).

Edited by Paspie 2010-12-15 5:09 PM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-15 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Things I forgot to mention:

My access point is definitely being detected as it is listed when I search for networks, I have setup a profile to connect to my network. I've noticed that there is nowhere to put your WEP key in ... how do I do this?

The software is still trying to search for a network for some reason. Please help as otherwise I've wasted a few £'s.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-12-16 5:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There should be a page in the "Edit Wireless Profiles" wizard marked "Encryption."
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-16 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

CE Geek - 2010-12-16 5:58 AM

There should be a page in the "Edit Wireless Profiles" wizard marked "Encryption."
That's weird as in my case there isn't. The only case where encryption is mentioned is in the client window ('Encryption: No Encryption'.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-16 2:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I've just realised that where I put in the encryption is the data security window, and it know works fine! Only thing to mention though, is that the device crashes when I try to load the HPC: Factor forums...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2010-12-17 5:05 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Should be able to handle it fine - my 728 never had trouble with this site.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-17 10:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Happens with the login page as well, although it will load the home, reviews and downloads pages of this site...

Loading would have been easier if HPC: factor's design had been left the same as it was before 2006. There are some more complicated websites that the Jornada will freeze on as it is trying to load, probably the browser. I wonder if Pocket IE on CE 2.0 fares any better.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2010-12-18 11:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've never had any major problems with it on hpc2000 either. The progression to xhtml/css does make it somewhat messy compared to .net, but it is stull usable.

PIE2 won't render anything useful now.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-19 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

With Redgear I tried to install Opera Mobile 8.65, however the CAB file wouldn't open even with Redgear enabled.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2010-12-26 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I might want to try a different wifi card. Apparently prism2.5 cards are superior to orinoco's in terms of performance. That just might solve the problem. I have pointed out a Senao NL-2511CD, has a lip (personally I prefer to have a lip on my PCMCIA cards as they are much easier to remove from the slot), and requires an external antenna which tends to provide wider range and throughput (depending on type, correct me if I'm incorrect).
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2010-12-28 5:32 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Having used many vendors cards on my 720 I can say prism based cards, both 2.5 and 3.0 versions are the fastest. I got 300k on a consistent basis both up and down.

To compare, my power frugal symbol never went faster than 35k.

It didn't matter what brand prism I used, linksys, belkin, netgear were all equal. I did discover very weird compatibility issues with different drivers though. Search my old posts to learn more.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-01-02 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

wallythacker - 2010-12-28 5:32 AM

Having used many vendors cards on my 720 I can say prism based cards, both 2.5 and 3.0 versions are the fastest. I got 300k on a consistent basis both up and down.

To compare, my power frugal symbol never went faster than 35k.

It didn't matter what brand prism I used, linksys, belkin, netgear were all equal. I did discover very weird compatibility issues with different drivers though. Search my old posts to learn more.
Prism 3.0 seems to be even worse than Orinoco Gold...avoid! It's the cards with Prism 2.5 chipset that I'm after.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 8