x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HTML editor needed for HPC2000

1 2 3
Dave Wurm
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 1:03 PM
#
Hi,
I posted a question or two at the end of the string announcing the availability of the freeware version of the H-bomb HTML editor. But, since there have been no replies there, maybe that was the wrong place.

Anyway, I would like to find an HTML editor for my Jornada 720 (strongarm, HPC v. 3.0). As mentioned in my previous post, I've tried H-bomb, but it has several glitches on my machine. I've seen conflicting posts as to whether H-bomb will work on HPC2000.

I've also tried a demo version of CEHtmlEdit from BnkSoftware. This also has glitches and is rather lean on features... but it is only the demo version. BnkSoftware has not responded (yet) to my email enquiring about performance of the full version on my device (before I buy it).

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 1:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

H-Bomb runs under HPC2000.
The bugs you mentioned we are looking into, Julio the man behind the dream - so to speak - is on holiday at the moment, and it's down to him to look into fixing them if they are indeed repeatable.
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 12:44 PM
#
That's good news! I'll look forward to hearing what Julio has to say.

Meanwhile, I'll take a closer look at H-bomb, in order to give you a more complete list of observed glitches.

Thanks,
Dave
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 1:39 AM
#
This is a update on my previous posts on this subject.

I took a closer look at H-Bomb Html editor, running on my Jornada 720.
Here are my observations:

1) The following "Tool" boxes do not close when H-bomb is closed.
(They will close with CTRL-ALT-DEL, or with a soft reset.)
(They are functional, with the exception of the last one listed.)
- Tables
- Hyperlinks
- Email link

2) Selecting "Email Link" brings up the following error message:
"Object doesn't support this property or method: 'frmEmail.SIPVisible' "

3) HTML tags are inserted in UPPER CASE by default.
Is there a way to select lower case?

4) Wordwrap is always on, by default. Is there a way to turn it off?

Perhaps items 3 and 4 can be changed by adding instructions in H-bomb.ini
If so, it would be nice to have a list of instructions/options that the program will recognise.

Thanks,
Dave Wurm
 Top of the page
Julio Angel Ortiz
Julio Angel Ortiz Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 7:28 AM
#
David,

Thank you for taking the time to look at H-Bomb. It's funny, H-Bomb for HPCs has been out for a few years, but only recently have you and someone else mentioned the problems with some of the Tools dialog boxes being a pain to close.

I have fixed the problem with the Email Links and Tables boxes. I'll fix the other one shortly, as I wasn't aware of that one. Tags do appear by default in uppercase, because that was an old design decision that was changed in later Pocket PC versions, but never the HPC version. It will take quite a bit of re-tooling to do that (again, because of how I programmed H-Bomb back then... I learned a lot after that).

Version 1.3.1 should be out soon, as soon as I get it to Chris and we decide how to package it up.
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 7:42 AM
#
HTML editor?

What's wrong with Pocket Word?

HTML can be easily coded in Pocket Word...

Why pay for something when you can do it for free?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 7:47 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Do you pay for water? Why? It falls out of the sky!

Some people prefer customised editors for different tasks. Word, whilst it allows the editing of HTML files, does not have any features specific to HTML editing unlike editors that are designed to do so.

The developer has fixed a couple of undocumented features recently; with posts like yours, it would be easier for him to say "yup, just use word", but then the community does lose something valuable, and possibly a developer too.

I do see your point, but in the context of this thread it's rather redundant: I suspect everyone remaining who uses an HPC realises they can edit text documents with Word....

(now, porting NVU to WinCE would be fun... )
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 7:49 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

a html editor is useful for people like me. i don't know too much html code, and i'm too lazy to type in even the code i'm familiar with. so it's great to have an editor that does some simple stuff for me, i don't need much more.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 8:32 AM
#
H/PC Elder

CybaCowboy - 2005-07-20 5:42 AM

HTML editor?
What's wrong with Pocket Word?
HTML can be easily coded in Pocket Word...
Why pay for something when you can do it for free?

Ya cowboy! Way to go!! ... I create most websites with notepad! ...

User-friendliness is a relative perception. After being put through the grind in Unix/Ultrix using vi for a couple of years (or months? ), notepad is like Sight to the blind, Water to the Thirsty in the desert, Food to the Hungry, HPCs to C:Amie|Cmonex, Apple IIe to PS, Starwars to ... ok ok, you get the idea!
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 10:22 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Notepad better than vi??? You're delusional, son! The majority of chiark.com was built using vi...

But that doesn't alter the fact that some people prefer custom editors to assist with common tasks!

Of course, notepad is better than emacs. Proven fact. But better than vi? Never!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-07-20 2:32 PM

HPCs to C:Amie|Cmonex, Apple IIe to PS, Starwars to ... ok ok, you get the idea!

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 11:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CybaCowboy,

You've answered your own argument here
"Why pay for something when you can do it for free?"

As H-Bomb is freeware now, you don't have to

Julio,

I thought you knew about the control issues already
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 11:10 AM
#
Is the HTML editor mentioned above a WYSIWYG editor? I thought you were referring to a third-party program for CODING HTML!

Handy to have (a WYSIWYG editor), if you're lazy (like me!) or are only creating a simple Web page...

But then, I only have minimal HTML knowledge, so don't take my word for it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 12:16 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

H-Bomb 1.3 isn't WYSIWYG, no. It's more accurate to class it as a programming aid.
 Top of the page
Julio Angel Ortiz
Julio Angel Ortiz Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 12:37 PM
#
Chris,

I knew about two of the three issues with H-Bomb. One listed in this thread I didn't know, but will fix shortly.

H-Bomb is not WYSIWYG, but it sure helps in coding HTML. I think it makes it very easy, as that was the purpose of the application.

And it's free. Of course, so is Pocket Word. But I don't think it's a stretch to say H-Bomb makes it easier to code HTML. Of course, I'm slightly biased.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8