x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ActiveSync over Network Help

KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 2:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I followed the instructions under "Synchronising with ActiveSync over a Local Area Network" (CESD-C-0012) or at least I think I did. The network card on my J720 is correctly configured as I have been using it to connect to my desktops "Public" folders for some time, now. I don't have a server on my system, only a workstation. Actually, if I understand networking correctly, my internet router/switch acts as a proxy server. It has a default network address, but I have copied the workstation IP address to the Primary WINS IP address location on my HPC. If I execute AS from the desktop, it does not search my network connection, even though I have the ethernet/RAS option checked. (It even states that the network is available.) Instead, it checks only COM1, COM2, USB and IR ports. (USB is not supported and IR is not installed on my desktop, so it actually only checks COM ports.)

Let me know if more information is necessary. There is a firewall setup on the internet router/switch, but both LAN ports are protected, so I'm assuming they are on the same side of the firewall. If I need to move both machines to the DMZ, that may be a simple solution, but it would a pain to move them alternately for synching and internet use. (I'd probably want to disconnect the WAN access during that time, too.)

TIA,
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 2:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You have to initiate the AS connection from the H/PC for LAN sync.

See "To Initiate the Synchronisation" in CESD-C-0012
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 5:40 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yeah, I did that, too. It didn't work. I think I got some sort of error, but can't recall what it is. I'll have to try again and post the error message here.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 5:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please do
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-06-28 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The error message states that I must establish a partnership with the desktop before running AS. I looked through the menus on both the HPC and AS on the desktop, but didn't find one that said "Create Partnership..." I looked through the help on AS on the desktop and it didn't say where to set it up. It said the first time you connect to the desktop, it would ask you to create one. Well, that's what I'm trying to do. I feel like I'm in an endless loop! Help--where's the "BREAK" key!? :+( Am I in some Commodore 64 parallel universe and no one told me?

Thanks,
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 1:31 AM
#
H/PC Elite

To create a partnership, you need to connect your HPC at least once using the serial, usb or ir ports, when you do so it'll ask you if you want to create a partnership, you have to say yes. after that, you'll need to disconnect from the usb/serial/ir/whatever you're using and try to sync via network connection again. you can't use network connection to make your first connection, you'll need to use one of the other methods, but only the first time, after that, it'll work fine via network.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 1:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Noooooooooo! Not serial! Aaaaaaaaaugh! I think I've only connected once to my desktop with the J720 using serial--and that was to get the 3C589C drivers installed. It's strange then, that I don't have any partnerships. Wouldn't I have to have established one to use AS before? Back when I was using a 660LX, I never synched. CE Services always gave me some error about something not being installed, so I just used the "PC Link" option so files would convert properly.

I'll give the partnership thing a try. Do I need anything besides AS 3.7.1 installed? If so, I may be in trouble again like I was with CE Services/660LX.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

By the way, anyone that needs proof that I'm an idiot needs to check this forum. I apparently asked this same question four months ago. As I haven't had a need until now to sync via network (and really only to install over AS), I haven't used this. Wow, am I a moron!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 9:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'd recommend you install AS 3.8 rather than 3.7.1.
Other than that and a serial cable, you don't need anything else.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9