x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

File Association Icon Problem

MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-02-08 7:51 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

I installed Microsoft File Associate on my MP790 so that I could use it for associating text files with Pocket Notepad, but it turned out that Pocket Notepad doesn't support file click to open, so I re-associated text files with Word and deleted the program. However, text documents now use the Pocket Word icon instead of their specialized text document icon, which I am sure you are all familiar with. Now, it is harder to differentiate between file types. So, I was wondering what kind of registry editor I should use to fix this (I have the repo dump file) or if I even need one. And if I do need one, how do I find the file association keys on CE? Will deleting the file association completely reset it, or do I need to do something more complicated?
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-02-08 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sorry for double post, there wasn't an "edit" button. Anyway, I put a registry editor on the MP790 an deleted the .txt association completely and also made sure that txtfile was set for opening up in Pocket Word, which it was after I opened a text file in Pocket Word. Still, though, when I see a text file in Windows Explorer, it tells me when I click on it that there is no program associated with it and to open the program and select the file from within it to associate. I expected this message the first time, but no matter how many times I open a text file with pword.exe, it never associates it, let alone there being the right icon. Now I'm afraid I'm in worse trouble. Please help. (P.S.- It would be preferable if the fix for this didn't involve a hard reset.)

Edited by MobilePro Master 2011-02-08 10:50 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-08 11:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Any registry editor should work fine. Look under HKEY_Classes_Root and you should find the defaulticon settings and can change them to whatever...

And our lesson today boys and girls is an old one....back up your registry before trying anything new...

BTW, attached is a default 790 registry file exported using Tascal Regedit

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 790registry.zip (24KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-02-08 11:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am very noobish at this and I understand that I have to back up my registry, I've heard it before. I didn't think I could do much damage with the file association of .txt though. I have only edited a registry once before, and I had a tutorial then. Could you be more specific with this? Would changing the default icon key help solve my main problem now? Also, what do I put in for a data value in the default icon key to make it be the default text file pword icon? I saw the format of others which had pword.exe,-then a number. What number goes there, and which number means the right icon? In fact, right now the default icon shows that it is a Pocket Word icon, but it just doesn't show up in explorer as any kind of icon. Anyway, what really confuses me is that it doesn't automatically re-associate. Should I just delete all of the text file data in the registry and then see? I am really confused...

EDIT: Wow, thanks for the .reg, I'll import it as soon as possible!

Edited by MobilePro Master 2011-02-08 11:43 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-09 10:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, I sent the reg so you could compare it with what you have...not to import it. If you import it, you will lose any reg changes any software installations have already made.

I found the best thing to do is use the CERegEditor program on your desktop and save a default registry, and then after you mess around with installing and changing things...which is just fine as only through experimentation do we learn, but then afterwards, take your modded registry and use the REG COMPARE feature of CERegEditor to see how it changed...

You can then relate what you see with what you did.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-09 11:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Try a different Notepad program like PHM Notepad or Starlight Computer Wizardry's Notepad for CE. The latter is here:

http://scw.us/ce/notepad/

PHM Notepad is below:

Attachments
----------------
Attachments notepad.exe (16KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-02-09 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, I already imported the reg and everything is fine. All of my programs still work and I can see them in the reg and text documents look and work like they used to. The only problems were some duplicate reg folders, which I took care of, and it said that I had Total Commander installed. This also helped clear out some program reg files for programs that weren't there anymore. So, even if you didn't mean for me to import it, I did and everything is fine, so thanks.
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-02-09 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Again, sorry for double post. The notepad I use is the second one you mentioned.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10