x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2011-02-09 8:11 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The displays on both of my J720's are not nearly as bright as they used to be. I go through phases of using them and then not using them. Also, the batteries are really weak. Is that the reason for the faint display? The cases and screens still look almost brand new. If I can resolve this problem I may try to dig one out again and use it as a dedicated function machine - maybe ebook reader or movie player.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-09 8:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The J72x displays do seem to dim somewhat over time, though the battery may well be contributing to the problem. Needless to say, I'd try a better battery first. There are still some on eBay these days.
 Top of the page
t6nna Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 1:12 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

If you have adapter connected, then you should get full power it needs. No need to buy new battery just to test your screen.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 1:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

well peng, none of my 3 have dimmed. so why others and not mine? as suggested, use AC to eliminate the battery as a cause.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-02-11 3:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Dimming of the screen over time is normal. Normally it is the CCFL, but sometimes it may be the invertor board supplying the CCFL its power. I've actually pulled apart a few Mobilepro screens and replaced the CCFLs in them with those from broken LCDs before, just to get the nice bright and crisp screens you see with new screens. I've also swapped out invertor boards, but that rarely has effected any significant change. Either you have enough voltage to stimulate the lamp, or you don't.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks! I will give it a try. I am skeptical about buying a battery for this. I bought two for my nec 880 that were supposedly "brand new" but they only held a charge for about an hour - they probably were brand new, never used before, but the chemical activity and potential in the battery is diminished. I will search this forum to see about rebuilding the batteries.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 4:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Don't you have AC to test the brightness against?
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 7:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi everybody!
For those interested to replace the CCFL tube with LEDs, here is a most interesting 3 pages article on how to hack a Jornada 680 - "LEDs replacing CCFL backlight" at http://spritesmods.com/?art=ledbl
The author says that there is no doubt about the gain in the brightness and colour shade of the screen.
I guess that the forward converter can be made more simple with a non-programable IC.

Edited by arlex 2011-02-14 8:07 PM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2011-02-14 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's definitely the CCFL lamp in the backlight, unfortunately...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12