x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC MP 900 ERROR!

1 2 3
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 9:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ivantam - 2005-06-30 3:16 PM

exactly as that guy ....... (you mentioned)

now, the rom is competely ruined~~~~

i can actually see it's getting worse and worse, slowly and slowly .....

breaking my heart .....

how do you mean it's getting worse??
 Top of the page
ivantam Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 10:56 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

at first, after the hard reset or soft reset, i can still operate the handheld for a while, but still freezed for no reason (at least i can't figure the pattern) and most of the time when it freezed, no software was ever installed after reset.

then after several soft and hard reset, my unit freezed immediately after reset, sometimes even in welcome screen for first time user, date and time input screen......

finally, just like now, not even can boot into welcome screen, freezed in NEC startup screen ......

i believed that hard reset or soft reset can really damage the rom image by chance .......

from update procedures you gave me, i believed that the rom's boot loader can first look into CF or PCMCIA for update.exe before directly access to it's own rom backup file.

so i may still have a chance to flash my unit again, if everything's ready.

i still remember when the time i played Zaurus, the rom update is more or less similar to Mobilepro, and i did try so many unofficial release rom to speed up my Zaurus.

maybe the boot loader is control by ic chip rather from the rom, just like pc bios.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 12:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

uh well that's my theory exactly.
so i warn now every NEC MP900 users: don't use soft reset if it isn't absolutely necessary. i'm not sure about the hard reset but that could be problematic too.
anyone heard of this issue with a 900C? i have not and i really hope NEC fixed the design flaw at least with them. i do have some very speculative ideas as to what this flaw could be. would be helpful to determine it.. because if we find out about it then maybe another users can avoid it...

well about the upgrade i don't know.. the instructions are very clear on that. you need to start the exe manually. but ... you might still have a chance!

yes the bootloader supports flashing via an ethernet network. you need a ne2000 ethernet card for that. how cool!
i don't know if your bootloader is still intact but i hope so... sorry but it isn't on a different ic, as i know the bootloader itself is upgraded when upgrading to ce.net. ** in my opinion it is totally nonsense. reflashing the bootloader can be very risky. even more risky as NEC tells you to remove the batteries for the time of the upgrade. why?! are they CRAZY?! ... well i'll make sure i'm running off an UPS when i try the upgrade.

wow, zaurus? what are they like?

** yeah and my rom dump starts with the bootloader right away... so it's not independent... was quite a fun looking at it though the error messages are really SCARY...

Edited by cmonex 2005-06-30 12:22 PM
 Top of the page
ivantam Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

to remove the batteries for the time of the upgrade ....... -> that's something i don't understand or figure out why, since every single update instruction i ever knew is to ask you having full battery level.

why put off the backup battery also??? good for overwriting??? to make sure that the old rom is not booting or functionable???

quite interesting.

i hope you can find a solution for your upgrade or getting a new 900 rom to work.

so that you can teach me also.

P.S. Zaurus is running linux ...... kind of qt, quite powerful and plenty of open source softwares to use ....... but the LCD screen and keyboard are too small, so i give it up.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 2:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

YES!!! that's what is CRAZY

i will not do the upgrade without a reliable UPS

and why are they updating the bootloader also?? they really want to have even more bricks?!
ahh i'll have to calm down

of course if i find a solution i'll tell you.. well maybe i already have an upgrade on its way to me. if i succeed with it i'll see if you really need a working device or not.. i mean for your flash process!

yes zauruses are too small.. the pics are soo deceiving

Edited by cmonex 2005-06-30 2:45 PM
 Top of the page
ivantam Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 3:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

you are my star~~~

i will look forward for your good new~~~

and now, i am still waiting for NEC's reply.....

i wondered if NEC will reply my email ........ what customer service, maybe i will call them directly by phone~~~~
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh well.. as i said they'll be slow.. but it's not one full day since you wrote them, you still have a chance! it is a good idea to call them!

thanks for trusting me however i can't promise anything
good luck with NEC..!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ivantam - 2005-06-30 8:19 PM

to remove the batteries for the time of the upgrade ....... -> that's something i don't understand or figure out why, since every single update instruction i ever knew is to ask you having full battery level.

why put off the backup battery also??? good for overwriting??? to make sure that the old rom is not booting or functionable???

gee i might have an explanation for this. yes they're risking the smooth upgrade process but you can solve it by using an UPS, i just was a little angry why they seemed so careless. but no they're not careless, just know too much about the certain design flaw... it could be something to do with power surge from the main and/or the backup battery. so they want you to remove them during the upgrade process so that they won't interfere.
it is only a guess, nothing more. i might be completely wrong!
about your idea: the old rom will still be booting and it must be functional enough too. and i know nothing more than that.
 Top of the page
ivantam Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 4:08 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12718

same problem concerning corrupted rom~~~

the bad thing is that CF, which for official ce upgrade, can only use once ...... and 900 to 900c is one way ticket.

i am afraided that even i can ship the machine to usa, still, they will not help me to repair.

maybe i have to buy a palmone lifedrive and an external keyboard .....

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah that was the case i already made reference to. however it happened half a year ago.. i know for sure he solved it somehow. i guess he was still in warranty (?) and just had NEC repair his unit. so lucky isn't he

the upgrade is really an one way ticket, so think twice before upgrading. but anyway you can't upgrade with the CF as you need a working machine ..
i think NEC will repair it for you if you have enough cash and don't contact them by email but by phone. but i'm not sure, you should call them to make sure..

the lifedrive sucks in my opinion. get another pda, but not the lifedrive unless you want a dead hard disk soon. or maybe it is only me but i would be really afraid.
and if you have to do a hard reset then you'll lose everything on the hard disk.. so it isn't worth anything.. ridiculous.
oh and the external keyboard wouldn't work for me..

btw, check your PM messages. i'll send a PM to you soon
 Top of the page
ivantam Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 11:17 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

thanks for your pm~~~

a few days ago, i just ordered a cf wi-fi card for my 900 ......

but lucky, i haven't ordered a pcmcia gprs card in expansys ......

poor man i am ....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 1:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-06-30 10:02 PM

but no they're not careless, just know too much about the certain design flaw... it could be something to do with power surge from the main and/or the backup battery.
it is only a guess, nothing more. i might be completely wrong!

well i'm almost certain about this now.. i've been fiddling a little and i know now that there IS a power problem with the main battery (don't know about the backup batt) by design (more like design flaw). i just have to find out if it's the battery itself or something in the MP900 (or both..). though on my own i probably won't be able to get any further than this..

ivantam, any news?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 8