x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2011-02-26 11:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey all, I've just noticed an NCD ThinSTAR 500 thin client on eBay...it runs Windows CE 2.12. How would one install apps such as web browser, Pocket Word, image viewer, etc. on such a device? I'm assuming there's nothing on it as-is?? It might be cool to have a little Windows CE desktop computer. It has the same amount of ROM/RAM as a typical HPC. Thanks for any advice.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

If I were you, I'd get something with CE 4 or higher. The browser on CE 3 or lower is at most limited.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 1:01 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you want to play with a WinCE desktop computer, you might be better off looking at a PIC 50x15 (aka decTOP) , assuming you actually want some functionality out of the thing (beside grins and giggles). Some info from Wikipedia:

The device is designed for minimal cost like a consumer audio/video appliance, is not internally expandable, and comes equipped with a minimum set of interfaces which include a VGA graphics display interface, four USB 1.1 ports, a built-in 56 kbit/s ITU v.92 Fax/Modem and an AC'97 audio interface providing sound capabilities. There is also an IDE-connector and the case can house a normal 3.5" HDD.

Hardware Specs:

AMD Geode GX 500@1.0W processor, 366 MHz clock rate
128 MBytes DDR RAM (Up to 512 MBytes)
VGA display interface up to 1600x1200
four USB 1.1 ports
56 kbit/s ITU v.92 Fax/Modem
AC'97 audio interface
Fanless design.

Electrical Specs:
Input Voltage: 12 VDC (Factory provided AC/DC converter)
Power Dissipation: 8 Watts (plus power supply's own dissipation)
Total power Dissipation: 12.7 Watts @ 100% CPU Load
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-02-27 2:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

IIRC, the ThinStar, like the 50x15, has an x86 processor. So, with CE 2.12 onboard, you're pretty much limited to .NET CF 1.0 stuff, using the CE 2.11 port.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2011-03-02 3:34 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks for this info, it was kind of a cool thought, but really I don't have the room to set up another desktop system. I think I remember seeing the decTOP online a few years back.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.144 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9