x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IDE->PCMCIA adapter

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi there,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31567&item=6780494550&rd=1

This appear to be a pccard adapter:

Feature:

* PCMCIA V 2.1/JEIDA V4.2 compatible
* Supports all IDE or ATAPI mass-storage (Magneto-Optical, ZIP, etc.) drive
* True 16-bit data access
* LBA mode and MST compatible
* External mass-storage (Magneto-Optical, ZIP, etc.) device for mobile computing applications
* Specific client driver provided
* Operable with IBM PC or compatible PC (Desktop or Notebook) with PCMCIA sockets
* Supports DOS/Windows, OS/2 Warp, Windows 95 and NT

Package Content:

* PCMCIA TO IDE ADAPTER
* 44 PIN IDE TO 40 PIN IDE ADAPTER
* Driver DISK for DOS only. (No driver is required for Win98, WinMe, Win2000 and WinXP)

So, you reckon it will allow HPCs to have easy access to (2.5" IDE drives and even DVDROMs etc?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 12:47 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Controller driver?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 1:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-06-30 10:47 AM

Controller driver?

It seems like the IDE, PCARD and CF pin logic/electrical configuration is somewhat compatible.

Why do I say that, you ask? I have a 2.5" 384MB flash disk that acts just like a notebook hdd. I opened it up and found that it simply contains a pccard->IDE mapping/adapter pcb housing and a 384MB flash PCCARD. The pccard->IDE adapter is just electrical pin (re)assignment and contains no controller of any kind, not even a resistor!

I remember trying my 512MB CF in a pccard adapter and putting it into the pccard->IDE adapter and it works just like a notebook drive. With a notebook->desktop adapter, this can run in a desktop unit.

so I am inclined to believe that the notebook drive would function just like a CF ATAdisk. The key to this interchangeability is in the ATA interface which is standard throughout.

The only downside I can think of is 1) Power consumption 2) bulk and 3) weight ... if it works!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-30 4:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Fantastic.

With some logic on my part (hard to believe I know) that would be sensible, as I already know the pcmcia controller provides ata support

So getting a caddy like at the bottom of this page:
http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/Database_files/Hitachi_and_IBM_Laptop_Hard_Drives.htm

Throwing a 32GB disk in it.. powers the only issue- as you said, they're ps2... what sort of current are we looking at from a PS2 port, anyone know?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8