x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC Factor Check In

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-03 3:39 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I bought a new (to me) Dell Mini 10 yesterday. I loaded Linux Mint 12 and have been getting over 7 hours battery life with the extended battery. This runs really fast and it has a quick boot too, Cool little machine! Very happy with this one!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-03 10:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You worry me Scott...I mean you have turned into a Linux supporter big time!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-03 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

For about the last 4 years...
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-12-03 7:36 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

I would love to install Lubuntu Linux on my U810, however it has SO many extra little features I'm not sure if Linux would support any/all of them. Maybe I'll get a 16 gig SD card and put everything Linux on there so I can pop it in to use the machine with limited functionality but high battery life and responsiveness.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-09 9:05 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

In case anyone wants to try out Chrome/Chromium OS here is the link. http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/index.php follow the directions provided.
It is really fast.
Thank goodness it is Friday...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-12-12 7:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Uhoh, Rebecca Black better've not heard that, Yoldering!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 1:37 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I came across another deal that was too good to pass up. I bought a new "to me" Acer Aspire One for $85! This one will be a gift for my lovely wife this Christmas. I really like the size of these little machines!
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 2:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

That's awesome! Now, do you prefer Windows XP or Windows 7 on them, or some Linuxy stuffage if you don't mind me asking? I had had Windows 7 on my Asus 1.6ghz ATOM with 1gb of ram and it ran great for me.. Though I wouldn't try to have 2 million web browser tabs open either.. I suppose it would've liked 2GB of ram better.. 2gb of ram seems to be a sweet spot with x86 Windows 7. My core 1 duo lappy loved getting up to 2gb, though when I went up to 3.25gb, I didn't really notice much. I rarely go over 1.6gb of physical ram in use on it.. oh well.. :/
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 2:47 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I prefer Linux. Linux Mint is a great build. Though both dual boot to XP.

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 2:50 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I should try that one out. I messed with Ubuntu 11.10 this month on my laptop, but I grew tired of both Unity and Gnome 3.. But Ubuntu is just so well supported, but I just don't like those UIs...to each their own, of course, so I shan't dis. I looked at Mint and it looks like it technically uses Gnome 3, but it looks like there's some sort of overlay on that, and seeing a screenshot of it, it looks very usable, and not just overtly pretty..
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-14 3:04 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I don't use unity, and I log into mint 12 using GNOME classic. I removed the useless bottom panel, and moved the top panel to the bottom.

Also, when I was breaking my wife into using Linux I ran a shell on top of Mint that made Mint look and feel exactly like XP. It should work with any GNOME build, however, I have never tried it with GNOME 3. http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14

If you are going to try it, I suggest that you try MINT 11

Edited by Yoldering 2011-12-14 3:07 AM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-12-28 2:15 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yoldering - 2011-12-13 7:37 PM

I came across another deal that was too good to pass up. I bought a new "to me" Acer Aspire One for $85! This one will be a gift for my lovely wife this Christmas. I really like the size of these little machines!

The Acer was a big hit. She was shocked!!!

Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-12-28 8:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just buy the tablet and tell her that she already said ok...Worked for me several times with my mother!!!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-12-28 8:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hey, when our university went to a kiosk system for student assignments, I used that as an excuse to buy a new pocketpc back around the year 2000. Told my wife I had to have it...she never even flinched. Said, "Well, if you need it for work, then so be it." Now that I don't work any longer, I need to find a new excuse to buy toys.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-12-29 4:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's easy, Rich - just follow her around and watch whatever she's doing until she gets sick of it and tells you to go find something to do.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 11