x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I found 46 working programs for the J728

1 2 3 4
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-04-04 4:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I found these on a torrent site they look lagit just run a scan on the .rar file before you open it it loked legit when I extracted it though.
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-04-04 4:17 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

well, this is emberalling hpcfactor will not let me Upload/attach the file Ill do it tommorow on my other pc.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-04 5:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't bother. You can't upload any files larger than 100 KB, and anyway we can't host it (or even allow a link to be posted) unless we're sure it's not warez.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-04 11:41 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Thecatmillion,

One of the problems with hosting software is the original authors often have their own rules concerning who can and cannot host software. Legally you cannot just post a program you find on the internet without express (written) permission. There are many reasons for these laws or rules.

For instance, some authors may have an agreement with a distribution company that says "you allow only us to host your software, and in return we will pay you..." Other authors will not allow it because they don't want their software downloads being associated with a pirate organization or an adult download site.

Still other authors only want their downloads distributed by themselves on their own sites with the idea that it will bring in traffic for their other applications.

And there is the difference between freeware, shareware, trialware...etc. Even for stuff that is no longer sold or hosted anywhere, the laws of ownership and propriety still apply. When you bring in the fact that many authors live in different countries, then you have the international software agreement policies as another factor to consider.

In reality, when you see a site that has a bunch of software hosted, it is normally because it isn't being challenged by the owners and they don't really care any more...but that doesn't mean that an established website can take advantage of that fact...as a matter of fact, they are the ones who have the most to lose. It would only take one lawsuit against HPCFactor to put it out of business permanently as we simply do not have the resources to fight any legal action brought against us.

And those pirate sites...they get away with it because they either hide under the guise that they are not hosting, hence they are not responsible...that they are not accountable for the links their members post...or they are hosted on a server that lies outside the legal jurisdiction of those who care...as some countries simply flagrantly flaunt their disregard for software ownership.

If HPCFactor were to go down...everyone loses...hence this website's zero tolerance policy. By being open and above board in all matters, there is never any question to the legal integrity of HPCFactor.
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-04-04 10:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

oh.... O_O I shouldn't have bothered. Sorry HPC Factor
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-04 11:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not at all TheCatMilton...it's always worth the effort. If you come across a good program that is no longer sold or available, contact the author and see if they will release their software into the public domain. Get their permission and it ends up on our downloads page along with the others we offer because of their generosity and our perseverance in asking for it!
 Top of the page
Viriato Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 12:27 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

OK, with due respect, you guys are becoming a bit paranoid. These are legacy devices! Stop being such control freaks or you'll end up being isolated. Show some respect for people who still use the machines your site is about! Your arguments stink because no one really cares if an old HPC owner, decides to test some incompatible, non supported, software on the Jornada. No one is going to chase you or apply a law suit to your moribund site.
You are losing the spirit.
YOU ARE GRASPING TO BIASED AND DELIRIOUS PRINCIPLES THAT HAVE NO COHERENT CONNECTION WITH REALITY!

Edited by Viriato 2011-04-05 12:52 AM
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 1:02 AM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 1:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Maybe so...

But we are paranoid around here.

Consider that you or anyone else can certainly host your own web site and set your own rules and write your own policies. You can interpet the law and control the content and the flavor to your own preferences!

We need a few more HPC websites anyways, eh?
 Top of the page
Viriato Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 2:49 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

That particular archive has been around for ages on the web and therefore it has become world heritage. If my memory serves me well it contains no "pirated" software, just plain copies.

About the concept of cracking and hacking.
Does a copy of one of Picasso's paintings constitute art and intellectual theft? My grandmother has had, since I can remember, a copy of Guernica on her living room, I used to have nightmares with it, she bought it cheap in a legal shop and Pablo Picasso never earned a single penny of that transaction. It's not the original painting anyway, it's just a copy. A copy is just what it is. The seller of this copy never tried to convince my grandmother it was the original, she bought a plain copy. Was Picasso harmed in any manner from this transaction? Was his work undervalued from the thousands of "illegitimate" copies that exist around the globe? On the contrary. This same principle applies to the software developers who see their creations copied and hacked and cracked, their merit becomes more noticeable. You can do a google image search and you will find thousands of scans of paintings of virtually any artist which you can print and hang on a frame on your wall. Is that legitimate, you ask? Of course it is. Even if you do try to make money out of it, since you have invested time and energy and money in the process, it is legitimate because you are doing everyone a favor.
Concerning the testing of some software on HPC which has been copied, tweaked, hacked or cracked. Is it legitimate? Yes. It's out there, it's reachable, it's feasible and it is a good thing if you divulge it.
Culture of any kind must be divulged, not silenced or restricted. It is of high importance, crucial for humankind's development.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 12:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

According to American copyright laws, the creations of an artist are protected under copyright laws during his/her life PLUS another 95 years after the painter’s death. After that time, the works fall into "Public Domain" So I would imagine that your grandmother was okay... Other artists assign the rights to their work to the heirs upon their death. There may be no estate of Leonardo Da Vinci who owns the copyright to anything Leonardo produced, but Dan Brown didn't get to reproduce the Mona Lisa on the cover of The Da Vinci Code without getting permission and paying a fee to the Louvre.

You can read more about American Copyright laws here: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf

Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Luckily for us, most software was created in the late 20th century. American copyright law is very explicit when something becomes public domain. The law clearly states that sofware is not public domain for the period of: "Life of the author + 70 years (or if work of corporate authorship, the shorter of 95 years from publication, or 120 years from creation)" This time period of course can be waived with the author's permission.

For software specifically, the laws have been agreed upon by nations in the Berne Convention. They (the representative nations) agreed that a program is automatically subject to a copyright. To be placed in the public domain, the author must explicitly disclaim the copyright and other rights on it.

It is confusing to say the least. Freeware, free software, open source software, public domain, GNU agreements, shareware, these are all individual and different things which are each covered in a separate set of redistribution laws.

But really, I challenge anyone to go to Google, and register, then set up your own free website as I have done with MyMobilepro.net. It will cost you nothing but about 30 minutes of your time. They will give you 100mb of free storage which is more than enough to host a lot of HPC software. Then put up software for download that you think should rightly be free...and sit back and wait and see what happens.... Just be sure to retain a lawyer before you do...

You said, "Culture of any kind must be divulged, not silenced or restricted. It is of high importance, crucial for humankind's development." I am not arguing philosophical ideology...you may be correct. What I am stating are hard facts embedded in concrete...laws that are black and white in nature...laws that prohibit us from doing what so many of us would like to do if allowed.

MobileproMaster....I can't quite make out the picture...it is a bowl? Help someone who is graphically challenged to understand....
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich, it is of someone doing a face palm. (a guy covering his face with his hand)
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 2:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thought it was a "Gibbs slap" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quckbuNK_YE
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-05 5:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ahhh, now I see it...
 Top of the page
Viriato Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 4:05 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I love the United States
I also love their laws
I wish they all disappear
Along with their flaws

If you repeat this prayer every night before you go to sleep, something good will happen in your life.

PS. You have my permission to read the lines above and to copy them. They are common sense.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9