x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I found 46 working programs for the J728

1 2 3 4
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 7:08 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

If you want those Jornada programs, just email TheCatMilton, don't troll the site with posts telling us how the laws are stupid and that we shouldn't obey them. That's one way to get banned, but I suppose that would be stupid too?
 Top of the page
Viriato Page Icon Posted 2011-04-06 11:27 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Oh, I am very sorry If I did hurt your feelings. I guess I was wrong about you US citizens. You are not ignorant at all. You are not as short minded as you appear to be. You are not a bunch of puritans, policing everyone but yourselves. I am really, really sorry...

Edited by Viriato 2011-04-06 11:35 PM
 Top of the page
Viriato Page Icon Posted 2011-04-07 1:15 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Ps. And you have a marvelous sense of humor, too.
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-04-07 1:45 AM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

What does any of that have to do with sending an emai? Can someone lock this thread?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-07 5:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, let's all settle down.

You can call our laws whatever you want, Viriato, but the fact remains that we can't operate this site if we disrespect the law. We're not about to invite unnecessary legal battles. If you feel this is silly, you're welcome to start your own site, make your own rules, and deal with the consequences on your own. I don't think that C:Amie, who runs this site at his own expense, appreciates being told how to run the site by someone who is utilizing the site for free - especially after having to face down lawyers over similar issues in the past (see the discussion about Netfront here). Please show a little more respect.
 Top of the page
Viriato Page Icon Posted 2011-04-07 11:56 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Netfront is an entirely diferent case. The fact is you are increasingly undervaluing the Jornada 7xx and everything concerned with it. Not everyone has the possibility to buy those new CE Netbooks. And many people simply don't want to. Those are not in fact Handheld PCs at all. You are acting like good watchdogs, very well trained. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure you must have reasons to act like that. It still gets on my nerves though the fact that you don't see my point. Blindly upholding the law and distorting one's intentions is not my idea of justice. Justice is indeed a difficult subject...
Here in Portugal we have a general concept of good faith versus bad faith, which is somewhat diferent from the concept of fair play versus foul play, or of black versus white.
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-04-08 2:04 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I thought it was someone putting thier hand on the back of thier head
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-04-08 2:10 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i was going to say that is not hpc facor's fault for hosting this it would be my fault Thecatmilton (user 20213) because it was user uploaded same as all of those torrent sites (ex: btjunkie.org, thepiratebay.com, and minnova.com)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-08 9:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

OK, well, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion; that includes the belief that we are running the site incorrectly.

MobilePro Master, nice Picard face-palm [ http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=Picard+face-palm&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=666 ].

To the OP. HPC:factor will host any Handheld PC software, making it available to everyone so long as it is freeware, open source or part of our exemptionware program - get the developer to tell us they've abandoned it and it's OK and we'll post it no problems.

Now, may be 45 of your 46 programs have been abandoned but haven't been released to the public domain. There is a clear split on public concensus on this forum as on other parts of the Internet over the rights and wrongs of whether they should be available. But what if the 46th program can still be purchased from the developer or Handando or some such. What then?

I'm a software developer, I'd be pretty peeved if I found my application in amongst your bundle.

That argument is probably not going to make the slightest difference on your views on this topic, so I request that you respect this.
If we let you post your 46 programs, that sets prescedence for others to do it. That makes the site more visible and encourages other pirates. That encourages more people to start downloading this stuff and increases the risk of virus and root-kit infection through malware sites while making the site more attractive to criminal-linked SPAMMERs.

You might assume that the team here and myself have the time and inclination to screen this stuff; we don't. The site runs accross international boundaries, in Europe we don't have the likes of the MPAA and RIAA to deal with, in the USA the rest of the team do. Our systems in the US have commercial links and it wouldn't take anything more than a single letter to get them to pull service on us - quite rightly so too, it's not their fight or problem so why should they have grief because of their assistance to us.

Finally, what gives me the right to decide what of your 46 programs can be posted on-line with cracked licenses? I don't want to be the person who makes those decisions and neither does anyone else around here.

You may disagree with that and the English prescedental legal system that it is based upon, however I would encourage everyone to keep the conversation respectful. If we were saying 'no' before hand, we're certainly not going to say 'yes' at the tail end of a sharpened, hot headed comment.
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-04-18 9:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Is it posssible to remove threads? I dont like bieng the example..
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-04-19 6:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It's ok Thecatmilton. This topic comes up every once in a while anyway You don't have to feel bad about bringing it up or being "the example". We know you were only asking, so it's ok.

In addition to comments I made about this in the past, I would say I like the site this way. Keep it clean. Hopefully that can make moot the arguments like Viriato's. The arguments about the legality and "reality" of a lawsuit etc etc. Forget all that. We're doing it this way because WE LIKE IT. That is, a lot of the members support the owner's position in the issue. How's that?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-19 9:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I would encourage everyone who wants to see these released as freeware or exemptionware (where they can get it for free) to get in touch with the developers and plead our case. Many are happy to do it if asked. This way everyone is happy and everyone can benefit.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-19 10:40 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

. . . there's that word again . . .
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-04-19 11:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

couldn't help myself
 Top of the page
drsills Page Icon Posted 2011-05-07 1:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Good news! I found Viriato's argument for copyright infringement so compelling that I put my name on it and published it to great critical reception and substantial personal financial gain.

Seriously, though, the arena for piracy is fairly well demarcated and entirely available: the fact that trackers like <link removed> can float the 46 prog torrent across a zillion users' hard drives for, like, six years or so is proof of the consistent success illicit distribution can have. Why bother replicating the stuff on a legitimate site?

In sum, arrrgh, piracy: fun for the anonymous, but anethma to the accountable.

Edited by C:Amie
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10