x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I found 46 working programs for the J728

1 2 3 4
joval Page Icon Posted 2011-05-08 11:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

The folks hosting this web site are afraid of their own shadows...and come across as exceptionally cowardly at times. Web hosting has its own protections...look at Youtube and you can see a reasonable approach to copyright issues...the author of the copyrighted work is instructed to contact the website so that anything uploaded without permission can be pulled. All you need is a policy and an avenue to correct an unauthorized upload...not these neanderthal concepts that ALL IS VERBOTEN...fearing BigFoot will attack in the dark and chew up the Website owners. Get real...you do a great harm to those few still remaining hpc fans. You should see all the hacking and tweeking going on in the android forums...even if it is an open format...there are occasionally those who may overstep a bit...but no one comes down on them like the googoo Gurus here, IMO. Pathetic! The way you caved to that browser cease and desist order was ludicrous...you agreed to restrictions that they had no right to ask for...you took on their burden instead of letting them know you would remove whatever they found offensive after they notified you of each and every specific instance.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2011-05-08 11:51 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Actually, I have to laugh at myself reading my prior post. I love the android forums...there is soooo much going on and being shared...I am having a great time trying out all the fantastic hacks and tweaks on the Nook Color...everyone is so positive...and generous with their knowledge and experience. Then when I log on here...the first thing I run into is an enthusiastic noobie being deflated by the cronies at large belching acrid smoke...go figure. And I'm sorry I come across so negatively here so much of the time...inspite of all the good offered here...it's too bad, because I find those policies so inane and offensive. Yeah, I know...you're gonna tell me I should go set up / host my own website. Par for the course around here...never an apology, eh?

Edited by joval 2011-05-08 11:52 PM
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 1:30 AM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

I think I was treated very nicely as a "noobie" when I first logged on here more than a year ago. I think what you're talking about with new people being deflated by belches () is actually new members attempting to make this into a netbook/PocketPC forum or asking for something that doesn't exist. The moderators can't let that happen to the site, and when something is impossible, it's impossible. There's not a lot of positive ways to say, "Sorry, you can't do that." And when it comes to piracy, piracy is piracy. If we showed some of the software developers who are still around what you say should be the rules around here, what do you think would happen? Because this site is pretty much the only one left discussing H/PCs, I am thinking it must be a target for these companies to check up on once in a while. Now do you understand? I have never downloaded a torrent in my life, and I'm still alive, aren't I? Live with it... And setting up your own website isn't that hard, as long as it's just a simple repository. I seriously think this godforsaken thread should be locked so people stop spewing propaganda. Nothing good ever came from this thread, it seems.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 2:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sorry if my crabA$$ attitude makes you feel you should lock this thread...and please don't feel you were the start of that at all. I won't buy Apple products because of their closed platform mentality, either. But, hasn't someone already made the point that on this site even simple registry tweaks or those windows icons being used as avatars represent copyright infringment...it's a very mixed bag around here as to what is or isn't proper or risky or whatever and who calls it. Can't even mention swapping out dll's...or am I wrong on that one???? You are not even allowed to "speculate" as to how a program you "don't even own" might be modified to some alternative end...say dual boot, remapping buttons, change background color, font type, etc...at least that's the way it comes across to me... correct me if I'm wrong on all this any of you masters of the hpc universe.

Anyway, sometime I will have to make a positive contribution...instead of belching so much hot air...I guess I could finally get around to showing how I repaired the broken video ribbon cable on my Jornada 720 sometime by using an extra wire jumper to replace the break in the ribbon. Until then, maybe I should just stay away!!!!!

Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 3:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

No, people are always swapping out dlls. I don't think that anything you just said is against the rules. Many, many sites use the windows logo without trouble. Oh, and where do you think things like Adobe Reader 1.00 for "Handheld PC" came from. They used to be PocketPC programs, but they were modified and remapped and are hosted on HPC: Factor.

PS- The only Apple product I own is a Messagepad from 1993. I also hate their close-sourcedness, if you can call it that. Plus I hate things that the majority likes as a rule...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 9:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As chief crony and presumably the recipient of you belcher nomination I would like you to be mindful of the fact that on three occasions I have had legal paperwork fall on my door mat as a result of things posted on this forum. While they have to date all been trans-national and of little consequence to me personally they threaten the hosting arrangements of this site and its continuity because I guarantee you that the ISP/IHP response won’t be so measured - thank-you DMCA.

Thanks to the US DMCA you don't even need to consult with the accused offending party as is the case in UK law, you just go to the service provider and the first thing you know is that your accounts have been deleted or internet lines pulled.

People in general have to realise that there are times in life when YOUR actions and YOUR views have consequences for people outside of YOUR own ego. And yes, this argument boils down to nothing more than ego, cheapness and laziness.

If you want to talk about stubbing, fine. If you want to document how to make each of your 46 apps work on HPC2000, fine. If you want to provide a pack of stub files and registry changes for each of the applications, fine. If you want to provide the licensed binary files (probably stolen from someone why purchased it with their own hard earned cash), advertise it on our community and make yourself out to be a hero, Robin Hood character or even a martyr, not fine.

The fact that we keep being forced to have this conversation over and over again is getting very tiring.
I look forward to an accusing and slanderous reply.

p.s.
even simple registry tweaks - wrong; the support section is full of them
windows icons being used as avatars - wrong; I can't imagine where you day dreamed that up from
swapping out dll's - wrong; we distribute stub dll's why would we prevent their discussion?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 12:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

This always kinda reminds me of a restaurant that doesn't provide the service or the type of food that I enjoy...if I'm not happy there, then I don't go back. But if I live in a small town, and it is the only food place in town...then I just learn to live with it.
 Top of the page
joshua.lin Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 12:18 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

hahaha well there isn't much support out there for the Hpc's any more,so I think we should be greatful for what we get
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 1:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I don't like that analogy It implies that we don't listen, learn or improve
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 3:01 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think the best way to look at it is the site and it's members do as much as they can within the law and the rules that keep it out of trouble with the law. Other sites like youtube are able to have these"correction of copyright" systems because they have staff to handle it. My understanding is that the core people who have the ability to do that on HPCFactor is not huge. If posts were to be opened up with that type of correction route the people who run the site would be editing it all day long. I also understand that running this site is not their primary job. So I think when talking about all the things that "could" be done you need to take a step back and look at it in context. I think they do the best they can with reasonable prudence. Maybe too much for some people and that's ok but better to stay online than get killed off by legal battles

Edited by jorel101 2011-05-09 3:03 PM
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How long has this war been going on? Has it just started within the last year or has it been a problem all along? I wouldn't know because I haven't spent ~8 years on here like some of the big shots, and during my time here, I had a period of absence during the summer.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 3:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Pretty much since we allowed the discussion of stubbing to take place (formally) in 2005. Before that and before people knew about stub file use I don't remember having to deal with community gemerated warez posts (spam bot generated ones sure)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-10 8:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You're right about not having a huge number of staff here, jorel101 - it's like a half-dozen or so folks, and nearly all the day-to-day site maintenance is done by C:Amie, Rich, and me (and C:Amie does all the heavy lifting).
 Top of the page
Thecatmilton Page Icon Posted 2011-05-11 2:02 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

CAN WE JUST DROP THIS!! I just want to not be the evample anymore... (Facepalms)
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-05-11 3:23 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don't think anyone even remembers/thinks about the fact that you started this.

Does this mean you're facepalming yourself? I don't think you're using it right...

Edited by MobilePro Master 2011-05-11 3:24 AM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 53 - Executed queries : 30