x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Trade my Symbol CF WIFI card for Dlink CF WIFI card

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok, I have a Symbol Spectrum24 super low power CF wifi B card.

I want to trade it for a prism based CF wifi card, my only choice being a Dlink DCF660.
The Symbol works great, I just want uniformity with drivers and backup images and so on.
I'm in Canada so this applies to Canucks first and I'll consider US residents also.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 5:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm not sure if the d-link works with the "standard" prism drivers. its own driver looks different. but i'll test it with my generic prism cf card. mine is so generic that it works with even wince 2.0
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Elder

TY cmonex, but I tested the 660 with all sorts of drivers and it works with them all.
I used the card for 6 months with the Dlink drivers on my PPC before I realized I could use other drivers! Once I found other drivers worked I settled on the Prism ref drivers for hpc2k. They are great.

So all my backups are based on the Prism drivers and a 660. I use the symbol on my ppc but prefer to use the 660 for certain purposes. This means I have backups with both driver sets.

I also have some prism based pcmcia cards but those buggers run really hot. I'm concerned I'll fry something using them in my 6651 or ppc. They also eat batteries like crazy. All this heat is wasted battery. So I use them in my Libretto which has a thermal shutdown circuit when things heat up.

The symbol runs really cool and I don't notice any difference in battery life when it's in or out.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok thanks for the information on the dlink..

my senao CF consumes little power too.. but it does heat a little, maybe because it's in with a pcmcia adapter? though i don't think so.
that symbol would be great.. do you use it in a pcmcia slot? maybe i'd like it, but canada is a little far from me oh and does it know WPA? (i rememebr seeing it somewhere that it does) maybe i'll be using wpa soon.. so that could be a deciding factor for me.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 4:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't know about the WPA. It might, but I suspect with 98/2k/XP only.
And yes, pcmcia adapter here also. I don't think my cf card has been out since I bought this thing.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

as far as i know, ce.net (4.2.. don't know about the lower versions) knows wpa.. maybe..
so, the pcmcia adapter really shouldn't matter then as the pcmcia slot is actually capable of running a pcmcia card on 3.3V, i'm sure about this.
 Top of the page
acornl
acornl Page Icon Posted 2008-04-26 11:59 AM
#
Hi I have a symbol wireless card for my pocket pc and cant find the drivers I need for it. Can anyone tell me where I can get what I need. It says spectrum24.highrate
wireless networker on the front.
Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-26 2:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There are Symbol drivers here - for H/PCs:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/

In the future, please don't post questions like this in threads this old, especially in the hpcBay forum, which is for selling and buying H/PC-related items only. (And if it's for a Pocket PC, we recommend checking Pocket PC sites for help, like Smartphone & Pocket PC Magazine's site: http://www.pocketpcmag.com/ )
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8