x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Stefan Stewart
Stefan Stewart Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 11:16 AM
#
Hi all, Im one of those stupid people that buy things off the net impulsively. I bought a Jornada 680e off ebay for 70 quid but it doesnt come with the docking cradle or the sync cable. I have found a cable that i can sync my jornada to my pc without having to use a docking cradle but do i need the CE software for the pc before i can transfer data from my Jornada to my pc? Wont it transfer even word documents?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 11:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi, welcome to the H/PC community.

It's not as simple as a Windows to Windows connection, however it is possible to do it without the software; see:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/editorial/on-the-road/

However really you need it. You can get it for free from the Sync Software link above, just head for the latest version of ActiveSync. It's about 4 MB to download.
 Top of the page
wallace
wallace Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 12:17 PM
#
C-Amie,

Great info about the modem-modem connection. Did I miss something though? Does the desktop need an older modem? <56k?

Here's my approach. With your first new Hpc you'll want a CF card sooner or later. Beg borrow or buy one. Buy a cheap card reader for your desktop if you don't own one. Use that as your transfer method until you get a wireless setup. Then it's all a no brainer.

Most enterprises will have a box with a card reader somewhere. Since they can scan your card for infections there's no reson they wouldn't allow file xfers from your card. Carry your card reader with you, just in case. I have a CF only USB reader that's pnp on all desktops.

Hope you like your 680. I love my 690. There *is* lots of usefull software of all types out there for it. Just look harder
 Top of the page
Stefan Stewart
Stefan Stewart Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 1:16 PM
#
Thanks C-Amie, ya saved me....oh how i wish i could save someone...
 Top of the page
Stefan Stewart
Stefan Stewart Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 1:22 PM
#
Ok so thats the software side sorted....i was now jus wonderin if this lead [the one that allows you to transfer stuff from your PDA to your Desktop WITHOUT a docking cradle] will work with my jornada 680e, its for jornadas, i jus dont no if it works with 680e and i wana make sure it does before i purchase it! But i really want it cos then i wont have to buy a docking cradle!

if this link abouve doesnt work its the 'eXpansys HP Jornada Serial Autosync Cable' on amazon....thanks...i appreciate it!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 2:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Bases solely on the thumb nail, gut instinct is no it's not.

However, I had a look about and I think that this is a bigger version of the thumbnail:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58544&item=5133267846&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

They say on the ebay site that they send you the correct adapter... My gut feeling is that the "correct adapter" is for the 500 series and not the 300 / 600 / 700 or 800 series.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29842&item=5729223337&rd=1 is an authentic one, and as stated above the cable is the same for 300, 600, 700 and 800.

sorry I'm sounding a little vague here
 Top of the page
Brain_Recall
Brain_Recall Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 10:20 PM
#
Methinks your "gut feeling" is right, C-Amie. The first is certainly not for a 680. The second one is, however. The connecter is distintly small, almost USB-ish, ... kinda.

Checking HP Parts Store shows they still have a cable available. Any one of the three serial sync cables they list should work. I'm kinda suprised they're still carying one of those. They nearly dropped every other part for the 680s. Anyways, here's the link: http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.asp?mscssid=WE5GW01UTQWG8NHCWANGF6WBH10C0052

Stefan, first, congrats on the new 680! You'll love it. Secondly, you may want to grab this for some light reading. It's hp's online manual for the 680/680e.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpia2133.pdf

You don't nessicarly need the docking cradle. But if you ever get one, the same serial cable that connects to the 680 will also connect to the docking craddle.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 7:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Those generic cables you have to specify a connector plug to go on the end. The cable in the photo is just the snc lead, you have the choice of Jornada, iPaq, NEC, IBM plugs to attach to the end to make it compatible.
It's very confusing though and I couldn't find reference anywhere to a hp H/PC 'bit'

I've always been able to get the sync cables out of hp (iPaq) tech support. Although others report less fortune in that department. I'd suggest giving them a buzz.
 Top of the page
Stefan
Stefan Page Icon Posted 2004-11-03 4:29 PM
#
My god you guys really are great. I actually recieved my Jornada yesterday and it turns out i got the software and the sync cable with it, but it wasnt written down on the auction so i presumed i wasnt guna get them, so thats gr8 news! Anway, on my Jornada 680e the storage memory is fine...but on the program memory it changes all the time, even if i quit the memory window and return to it, its changed slightly. I havent really done anything to it yet since i bought it...total program space:8157...free space: 5842....do you no y its gone down so much and changes all the time? Also, lets remember im a dummie, whats the difference between storage memory and program memory, thanks a lot...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-03 4:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

On CE the ram is all the storage there is, so it has to do the job of the Hard disk - as would be the case on a pc , mac that you may be familiar with. As well as the job of the RAM.

In order to provide a level of separation you have the slider in the system applet dividing the RAM between Srotage and Program.
The Storage is in effect the "Hard disk" when you install applciations, files, browse the web (and this cache pages), or sync data to the build in databases this goes here.

The program memory on the other hand is the RAM that is used to provide thinking functions. Say you open a picture file that is stored in the \My Documents folder.
The actually processes to open up the image viewer, and then the data srote to put the image onto the screen go in here.
Like wise when you have Pocket Excel add something up all the maths data is stored in here before paying a visit to the CPU. The CPU then send the result back to the RAM.

The figures are constantly moving as the system state changes. Temp files are created and deleted. Programs make small changes to the reigstry and system when they start, run and are closed.
So what you are seeing is perfectly normal.
 Top of the page
Stefan Stewart
Stefan Stewart Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 5:32 AM
#
Thanks! ok is it ok to off and on post questions or are u annoyed? OK, so do you no any good sites that i can download free games for my jornada 680e? I wana have a fun side to my pda as well as a work side....
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 6:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The most comprehensive software site I've found is www.pocketpccity.com.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-06 7:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

We prefer that if you want to change the direction of a topic, that you start a new thread. It makes it easier for people to assist you.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9