x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sylvania 7" Tablet

1 2 3 4 5
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-04-23 3:11 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Oh, this is too easy for you. You've only returned it once and now everything's working out. You're even philosophical about outdoors light. Man, you got to find some frustration to make it all worth while. You still have that Velo 500 in your sig? Hook up the two through some kind of serial-to-usb and do an internet connection sharing deal with the netbook.

*That'll* bring it all back to earth

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-23 11:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You are not supposed to be able to see it outdoors. There you just carry it and act like you are using it. It's the wow factor that you are trying to invoke in others. You don't even have to turn it on outside....just hit the screen a few times and stare at it...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-23 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay, I saw that the slideme market did not have some of the apps I wanted so I added the Amazon Marketplace http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/ref=topnav_storetab_mas?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011 It is really handy...even though I have never been a fan of Angry Birds, it sure looks nice on a 7" screen.

Edited by Yoldering 2011-04-23 3:35 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-04-23 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Rich, the screen is what those ebook readers are all about.

There was a Kindle ad where they showed a lady on the beach reading a Kindle and the guy next to her has an iPad which just had a black screen under the sun.

Personally I don't care for eInk and reading under the sun, but apparently a lot of readers do care, as they can do the same with paper.

Now if you're talking about ebook readers with transmissive LCD screen, then yeah it's simply too limited compared to a tablet with the same screen technology.

Edited by takwu 2011-04-23 8:58 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-23 9:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've never seen a screen yet that is perfect in a dark room, and in normal lighting, and outdoors in bright sunlight...except for a simple monochrome screen that has a back light.

That's the one thing I like about my Jetbook...the sunnier, the crisper the text...but it still works great under normal lighting too. You can bet that I'm not going to sit in the hot sun on the beach and read a damn ebook, not when there are near-naked babes walking around. Besides, how can you read an ebook when you are busy holding binoculars?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-23 9:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have no intention of using it when I am outside. I have much better things to do when I am outside. I just wanted to test it to make sure. BTW Rich, we are going to the beach in two weeks!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-23 11:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Take pictures!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-24 6:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I added applanet market today to get a swipe keyboard that is a lot better than the default.: it is the ShapeWriter keyboard. So now the resistive touch screen is almost a non-issue, it actually makes it easier to write with a stylus.

Edited by Yoldering 2011-04-24 7:03 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-24 8:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So speed wise, you can't compare these things based solely on mHz...

So speed wise, how does it compare, to say a Pentium laptop...would you say it is faster than a 233mHz PI, or a 533mHz PIII? Is there any comparison at all or is it just faster than I can imagine?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-24 9:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

When you say fast what do you mean? How fast it boots up? about 20-30 seconds give or take a few., instant from "sleep"
Opening apps is instant, opening settings instant. This thing is a lot faster that my Pentium 1.6Ghz laptop. As for browsing, it is only as fast as the connection, and mine is browsing pretty fast. I have tried Opera Mini, Skyfire, Dolphin HD, Firefox, and the default browser (whatever that is) I like the default browser the best so far. Here is a really good review of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsc_OAltaBA

Edited by Yoldering 2011-04-24 9:09 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-25 2:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich, THANK YOU for the suggestion of QuickOffice, I broke down and decided to buy that one app because of the usefulness of it. They were offering a 60% discount from their website so it was only $7.99 This version is really nice. http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_pro_android/
It is a full office suite including the ability to create, edit, and share Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files as well as PDF files.

So far I have tested the PPT and Word ability and it works great.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-25 6:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is very nice!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-26 7:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wait - you can edit PDFs on it? (And does that mean just editable fields, or the whole layout of the document? Can you create PDFs too?)

This one definitely piqued my interest, but it was already sold out at least a day before today's deadline for the discount. Wonder if that offer will come up again.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-26 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You can create them, not edit. I am sorry I read that wrong. It says advanced PDF viewing.

I also downloaded Kindle for Android and loaded up on a lot of their free books. I might do the Nook too. Each of the reader apps offer different features as well as different books.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-04-27 4:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I admit I'd like the ability to edit editable fields on PDFs on a mobile device - like on my tax forms, for example. I can view them on my CE devices as previously edited, but can only do the editing on my PC. That said, the ability to design PDFs on a mobile device is nice.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 11