x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sylvania 7" Tablet

1 2 3 4 5
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 8:02 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I went to "Best Buy" today to look for a screen protector for the tablet and while I was there I had the chance to play around with these http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%232cw~~cpcmcat209000050006%23%230%23%239~~cpcmcat209000050008%23%230%23%231~~nf1021%7C%7C372671756f743b&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&sp=-displaydate+skuid&usc=abcat0500000 Let me tell you the Sylvania is not and should not be compared to most of those and I really hope no one thought I was trying to. However, I would much rather have 5 of my tablets than one of those. I also played with the Coby 7" tabled and my tablet kicks its butt!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I was in Barnes and Nobles last Sunday and they were hawking the Nook. Should I be looking for an upper-scale tablet, I would look hard at this. For 249USD, you get a serious, speedy browser that just came out with an Adobe Flash add-on.

Not only that, it's very hackable, easier than the Iphone, which will give you full-blown Android.

I was very impressed. Perhaps not as good as the Ipad, but more portable and half the price. It should be called the Niche b/c there's nothing else like it at this kind of price.

Jake
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-30 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yup, I woke up early this morning so I figured I would test out a keyboard and mouse with the tablet. It works like a charm. Just plug-and-play. Really good news because I am going to get one of those floppy keyboards to keep in the case with it.

Edit: here is the keyboard I am going to try. http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=13988

Edited by Yoldering 2011-04-30 2:06 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-30 8:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Cool looking, but I bet you end up not liking the keyboard...seems like it would be similar to typing on a piece of rubber....not a very good tactile sense of touch. Still, when you get it, take pictures and let us know...I'm interested.

The other thing I was looking at today was the larger Android tablets...the 10 inch ones. About the size of a piece of paper...and better for my lousy eyes maybe.

I wonder why we haven't seen a bunch of Android laptops...seems the emphasis is in tablets. I think I might like a laptop with both a normal keyboard and a touchscreen....especially a big one with an easy to use keyboard....
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-04-30 9:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich, i just picked up an Augen Genbook 108 for under $100. 10.2" screen, 256mb ram, 800mhz arm cpu, 8 gb internal nand etc etc. The built in touchpad sucks (i use a mouse) and no Android Market installed. Other than that i'm happy with it after installing alternative markets and rooting it. Even got youtube working on it quite easily.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-04-30 11:30 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

We went by there and took a look at those keyboards but decided not to get one. You were right Rich, it felt weird.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-02 12:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have a couple of those, and while they work fine, you do have to put a little extra into each key press.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-05-07 6:23 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi I have a question.

Since it has a resistive touch screen and a pretty good sized stylus... Are there any handwriting apps? I'd imagine it'd be rare because most Android devices have capacitive touch screen, so a handwriting app doesn't really make much sense.

The idea is just a cheap alternative to a Tablet PC for taking digital handwritten notes. I currently use a Tablet PC but the battery life really sucks and I use it almost exclusively with a power adapter.

I understand the smaller screen and resistive touch are not ideal for writing, but it might still be ok. I'm still looking for a practical note taker
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-06-16 3:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Tak, I have never used a handwriting app but I am positive it would work well. I may try later this week.
My wife surprised me with an early fathers day gift. She got me the tablet stand/keyboard case! Wow, this puppy is nice. now I have a real keyboard and when ever I want I can take it out and use it as just a tablet. I guess you could say the best of both worlds. It is a little big for my tablet so I placed two small pieces of Velcro to keep it in place. See photos:

Edited by Yoldering 2011-06-16 4:01 PM

(case 1.jpg)

(case 2.jpg)

(case 3.jpg)

(case 4.jpg)

(case 5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments case 1.jpg (20KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments case 2.jpg (23KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments case 3.jpg (26KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments case 4.jpg (30KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments case 5.jpg (21KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-06-16 4:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Renamed and moved to Off Topic on request of thread starter
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-06-16 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Oh yeah, this case was from Amazon and was less than $20 shipped!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-06-16 9:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Look just like mine!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-06-21 2:16 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So you have one of these too? Pretty nice huh?
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2011-06-21 7:31 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yoldering and Rich (and anyone else),

The case and your tablet look like a neat kit. So far I had avoided an android tablet. I'm curious how the office suite you mentioned works in terms of compatability with Office -- does it convert both ways well enough?

Has anyone tried the softmaker android version beta yet (assuming it has been released yet)?

I still need to work in word much of the time. Some of my files are ...complex...so sometimes the wince devices choke on me if the file is "heavy"

So I guess I am curious about office compatability...
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-06-26 2:42 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

H2OGuro, I have Quickoffice Pro, it works flawlessly with MS Office.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 13