x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

joshua.lin Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 1:09 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I was just wondering (This is probbly a stupid question :/) if there is anyway I could recive/send text messgaes or use my nec 900 as a sorta phone to recive meaages ?
I know it sounds out there but are there any compact flash cards or pc cards that can carry a sim ?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 1:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

With your 900...not directly. That is you have to log onto the internet and have your website handle the messages. For instance, I can log onto the Cellular South website and enter a text message and have it sent to a Cellular South customer. Also, those customers can have their text messages forwarded to a POP3 mail account, so they literally can send and receive text message as long as they are connected to the internet via a wifi connection.

I believe other cellular phone carriers offer similar services.

The Smartbook G138 is the only HPC that I know of that had built in hardware support for wireless carriers...that I know of.
 Top of the page
joshua.lin Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 1:33 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

That's Rich I just wanted to know . The internet cellular service sounds good I'll give it a shot
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 3:11 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

huh, the pop3 info looks pretty cool, additionally you can buy a pcmcia wireless modem. i use a sierra wireless aircard 775 with my jornada and the program that has the drivers also allows me to send texts. of course same rules apply as with any cell phone, it has either be unlocked or of the same carrier as your sim card.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 4:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

But the same thing still applies...you are hooked up to the internet with the Sierra cards. BTW, I wonder how long carriers will continue to support these?
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 4:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think a good while still, my sierra card is gsm and edge so as long as they support that we should be ok. I actually just met a some one recently who still has a pager...i thought service for those was dead a long time ago.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2011-04-29 7:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

joshua.lin - 2011-04-29 8:09 AM

I was just wondering (This is probbly a stupid question :/) if there is anyway I could recive/send text messgaes or use my nec 900 as a sorta phone to recive meaages ?
I know it sounds out there but are there any compact flash cards or pc cards that can carry a sim ?

Hi Joshua.Lin!
Thre is also the solution called pcmcia gsm card, that should allow you to make phone call and probably sms over the gsm band. I know about two such cards, one from Nokia, the other one from Ubinetics. This latter one is still available on the eXpansis web-site under Ubinetics GC201 GSM PCMCIA Phone Card for Laptops. You have to do your research on the win ce3.0 section of this forum, I recall Jornada 720 was reported to work with both, but I have no idea about the compatibility with nec 900.

Edited by arlex 2011-04-29 7:36 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10