x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 won't boot up

[Frozen]
Frozen
MasterYster Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 1:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi anytime I boot up my Jornada it gets stuck on the startup screen. Any help? (I think the erom might have been erased due to the symptoms)
 Top of the page
lotec Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 2:00 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Have you tried a hard reset? This will delete all your files and restore the device to its original settings.

1. Disconnect all cables, including the ac adapter from your HP Jornada.
2. Remove the backup battery.
3. Remove the main battery.
4. Wait at least 5 minutes, then reconnect the ac adapter, reinstall the main battery, and then reinstall the ! backup battery. Your HP Jornada should turn on automatically and display the MS Windows for H/PC 2000 Welcome Wizard.
5. Restore data to your HP Jornada from your most recent backup file.

(from j7xx)
 Top of the page
MasterYster Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 2:26 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I did that but still no dice
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 5:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hmmm.....check the USB and base charge contacts. ...should be clean and aligned...maybe modem Jack

As stated by Jxx....pull all batteries....leave them out...even overnight...and later boot from AC adapter alone

Failing that consider opening case and removing and reinserting the memory card

You didn't spill anything on it?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 12:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Good news...you can't erase the ROM. It is non-programable/non-eraseable. Bad news...any number of failing hardware thingies could cause those symptoms, i.e. bad memory chips, timing chips, even a simple capacitor or whatever...

If you have access to someone else's Jornada, it takes a whole 15 seconds to unscrew 3 screws, lift the keyboard, and swap out the rom/ram board and see what happens...that will help to pinpoint the problem as being either the daughterboard (which contains the rom/ram chips), or something beyond that which is interfering with the boot process.

By duplicating the problem using your ram board in his Jornada, that would confirm where the problem lies. If nothing else, take out your daughterboard and re-seat it to make sure it didn't jiggle loose and maybe a single pin isn't making a good connection.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 6:05 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I can send you one RAM/ROM chip for free if you pay $2 shipping charge. If you are in SF bay area, you can even save the shipping charge by picking it up from me.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 7:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've never seen one go bad yet...more often it is just a connection problem....but I guess it is possible.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2011-05-09 10:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I did help someone replace the chip before.
 Top of the page
MasterYster Page Icon Posted 2011-05-10 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey guys I fixed the issue. I popped open the little <minor expletive> and fixed a lead. Booted up like magic again. But just another quick question, why is that <major expletive> backup battery always out of charge? Doesn't the Jornada charge it itself? And also, I would appreciate it if anyone had an idea on how to play youtube videos

Edited by CE Geek - please refrain from profanity as this is a family-friendly site. See Rule 4 of our Forum Rules. Don't want to give an old man like me a heart attack.
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2011-05-10 1:02 AM
#
About the only way to play youtube vids on a j720 would be to purchase CorePlayer. It has a nice youtube search and play function built in. Also with a few registry tweaks you can have IE open coreplayer to stream the video when clicking on a video link. I no longer use my 728, but this method works well on my ce5/6 netbooks.

Cheers
 Top of the page
MasterYster Page Icon Posted 2011-05-10 1:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yeah I tried buying coreplayer but I could not install, it would never let me install it on my Jornada 720. A waste of 30 bucks.
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.191 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10