x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Recieved my MobilePro 700 with a surprise in system properties

1 2
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 5:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I got my MobilePro 700 and got a nice surprise when I went in system properties.

Memory: 16 286 MB RAM

This is awesome as 8 MB shared between RAM and storage, even if I put most things on a memory card, would have been very tight, I likely would have got the 32 MB upgrade later on. With 16 MB I'll probably leave it as it is, if I put everything I can on a storage card 16 MB will be enough.

I really like the MobilePro 700 so far, it seems as fast if not faster than the MobilePro 900 despite being 54 VS 400 mhz.

The only minor issues are the different key placement from the 900 will likely get confusing as I go from one to the other, and it doesn't recognize my 4 GB CF card formatted as two 2 GB partitions. It recognizes both partitions but says they are an unrecognized format and wants to format them, maybe I'll let them format them and hope that from then on all 3 devices can read it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 7:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Windows CE 2.0

CE 2.0 only recognizes FAT16 (FAT) format. Maybe you formatted the partitions to FAT32.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 7:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Make sure that you're using standard cluster sizes too, don't format them with larger or smaller clusters and don't add FAT extensions.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 8:22 PM
#
H/PC Elite

What are standard cluster sizes? Should I just let the MobilePro 700 format the partitions when it prompts to do so and then the card should work in my 3 devices (Casio E-15, NEC MobilePro 700, NEC MobilePro 900).

BTW, is NEC pronounced "neck" or "N, E, C" (saying each letter).
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 8:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, N. E. C.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 9:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You can pronounce it "neck" if you want. Who's gonna stop you?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 9:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

512 k I believe for Win32.
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 9:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Thanks, I'll try that.

By the way the MP700 can't even charge rechargeable batteries when plugged in? I would have thought it could have. I likely will never use the AC adapter, this lasts so long on AAs it makes more sense to use it on batteries even when AC is available and just swap the batteries as they get low doesn't it?

I'm also glad it shows the battery power in 10% increments, my Casio E-15 that runs on AAAs only says "Good" or "Very low".
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

aab - 2011-05-20 4:42 PM
By the way the MP700 can't even charge rechargeable batteries when plugged in? I would have thought it could have. I likely will never use the AC adapter, this lasts so long on AAs it makes more sense to use it on batteries even when AC is available and just swap the batteries as they get low doesn't it?

Actually, the 700 can recharge batteries. Just cut the bottom half inch or so of plastic casing off one battery so the inner casing is showing (negative pole). Place that batery in the 700 first so that the negative terminal comes in contact with the third contact in the battery holder. Add your other battery and you're good to go. Your 700 will now recharge when you plug it in...

Rick

Edited by Richard Plume 2011-05-20 10:12 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 11:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Most MobilePros show the power in 20% increments. And no Palm-size PC ever supported displaying the battery level as a percentage.

Nice trick, Rick. Does that work with any other H/PCs? (I know the HP 360LX supports charging of rechargeable AAs in the unit without any hardware mods.)
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2011-05-20 11:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2011-05-20 6:28 PM
Nice trick, Rick. Does that work with any other H/PCs?

Yes, I've also used it in a Velo 500 and, if I remember correctly, a Compaq C-Series 810.

Rick

Edited by Richard Plume 2011-05-20 11:51 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-05-21 1:11 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Rick,

Would your nifty trick work with a Sharp Mobilon 4100, the machine with the removable battery case?

Jake
 Top of the page
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-05-21 1:55 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Actually my E-15 uses that very same trick (the casio battery is "half naked" ), though it stupidly only charges if you put it in the cradle and not if you plug it in directly, the reason I assumed the MP700 can't do this (other than the 3rd contact being hidden as opposed to the E-15) is:

-The manual says it comes with AA alkaline batteries (I would have expected if it can charge batteries that it would come with a rechargeable battery).
-The manual only mentions the AC adapter as being to use it on AC power and doesn't mention charging
-The word "charge" was not found in the entire user guide of the MP700

So I'm not too sure who figured out it can charge batteries because all info from NEC seems to suggest it can't charge batteries.

Edited by aab 2011-05-21 1:57 AM
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2011-05-21 2:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jake - 2011-05-20 8:11 PM

Rick,

Would your nifty trick work with a Sharp Mobilon 4100, the machine with the removable battery case?

Jake

Jake;

I just checked a 4100 and I don't think it would be possible without some surgery. It appears the charging contact is right next to the positive terminal. I would have to see a 4100 rechargable battery pack to figure out how it works.

Rick
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2011-05-21 3:02 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi, Rick,

Many thanks for checking it out.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum: