x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I'm an HPC Fanatic again!!! (Possibly not for long)

1 2 3 4 5
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-05-28 7:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't seem to have taken much interest in programs like SpreadCE and Textmaker due to the fact that three years ago I was into pushing HPC's on their multimedia side, which of course, didn't go down very well. I have gotten my Ericsson MC16 out (more well known as a clone of the HP 360LX), and first of all have realised that after the arrival of my ThinkPad T510 on the 12th March with Windows 7, some of my setups won't run properly. The solution? Using a bootable partitioner (GParted), I decreased the size of my Windows 7 NTFS partition and will install Windows 2000 on another partition on the machine. I haven't quite figured out how to boot from another partition yet, but I'll figure out how by the internet. So what changes will I make on my latest HPC setup then?

1. Applications will be installed on a CompactFlash so that as much memory as possible can be used for one of those apps at full blast (8MB is not exactly first class).
2. If possible, I will disassemble my device (shouldn't be too hard, there are no screws on the device so I should be able to pry of the case (anyone's advice on this is highly appreciated)) and finally fix that PC Card slot as two of the pins are not pointing straight. It will also allow me to use my 4-1 PC Card adapter, as I will be saving documents made from my device onto an SD Card.
3. Sharp HC-4500 and Jornada 720 will not be used.

Other things to take into account? I cannot sync as I don't have a serial cable and for whatever reason it is extremely expensive to get it replaced without buying another HP3xxLX, Jornada 6xx or 7xx, or Ericsson MC1x.

I cannot wait to try out Windows 2000! It's just a fantastic OS, my favourite browser, Opera, still supports it! Some devices on my ThinkPad may not work as most Windows 2000 support has gone by the wayside apart from some Japanese governments, but hay, that's not what I'm using it for!

I hope I can buy Textmaker 2002 and SpreadCE, but Textmaker's support for CE 2.0 is a bit disputed (the MobilePro 700 is reported to work, and that has CE 2.0). This time, my focus will not be on multimedia, I might use it occasionally especially as I will have much more system memory left to handle that sort of stuff, but I never know.

I have to use alkaline's (that's the beauty of greyscale units!) as I binned the charger and the port doesn't work anymore.

But for now that's all I have to say, I hope you enjoyed reading, I typed this incredibly quickly so there may be some mistakes. Windows 2000 was the reason I put this in Off Topic.

Edited by Paspie 2011-05-28 7:51 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 2:49 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Welcome back to the HPC world Paspie When you open your device, be careful. I'd recommend hitting up eBay and getting one of those "Mobile phone opening tools". They're cheap and are meant to open things like cellphones and yes, even HPC's. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Screwdriver-T6-Cross-Pry-Opening-Tool-Set-Mobile-Phone-/140455133439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3c740ff

Take note of the ice blue plastic tool, it's like a mini crowbar. I've used it on a Palm V, Nokia e90 and my old iPhone. Worked like a charm.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 9:51 AM
#
H/PC Elite

SOLIDUS - 2011-05-29 2:49 AM

Welcome back to the HPC world Paspie When you open your device, be careful. I'd recommend hitting up eBay and getting one of those "Mobile phone opening tools". They're cheap and are meant to open things like cellphones and yes, even HPC's. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Screwdriver-T6-Cross-Pry-Opening-Tool-Set-Mobile-Phone-/140455133439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3c740ff

Take note of the ice blue plastic tool, it's like a mini crowbar. I've used it on a Palm V, Nokia e90 and my old iPhone. Worked like a charm.
i have always been here, it's just that yesterday i realised i can actually put one of my devices to abit of use. Thanks for the link, i hope i can find something similar that ships to the UK
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 12:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm now not going to install Windows 2000 on my ThinkPad as I don't think the setup could understand all the power management features of 2010. Instead, my former main laptop (a Compaq Presario V5000 from 2006) will take the rap, as it is far more basic and Windows 2000 shouldn't have that much trouble with it. It used to have Windows XP installed on it, but I'm in the process of nuking it ready for Windows 2000.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 6:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Here's a nice set of tools, located in the U.S. but ships world wide. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Cell-Phone-Laptop-LCD-Case-Open-Pry-Repair-Tool-/300546956896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9fe9e60

I have Windows 2000 installed on my old Compaq Armada 1600 from 1997. Not the fastest in the world, but syncs up with my PDA's and Palmtop computers just fine.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 7:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Why use 2000 when you have XP?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 8:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Because 2000 is less bloated, and perhaps Paspie doesn't need all that bloat on that PC, already having Windows 7 on his other PC.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 9:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A 2006 Compaq is well capable of running XP. Choosing to use an operating system that is unsupported, no longer updated, isn't going to continue to receive products from security software developers and has no firewall when you already have one that is fully supported is frankly... odd.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 9:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Good points, but I thought XP has already been EOLd, so doesn't that mean no more support from Microsoft?
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 9:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Windows XP will remain supported until 2014 and i'm not sure where my parents' backup discs went. I want to let a more seasoned OS and machine do the job for my HPC's as Windows 2000 has had more time than XP so far to be polished on the security/update side. Who would want to attack 2k nowadays anyway?

It installed successfully, i just need to install the drivers for the video and wireless (won't need sound for my purposes). The PC's existing XP installation was kinda corrupt so i just wanted to let that 5yr old HDD start from a blank slate so i completely wiped it.

I have a bit of a heart for Windows 2000, i know someone close to me that still uses it as his main OS, along with some more vintage Windows/PC stuff. I also used it back in 2005 at a Visual Basic class. I even have a copy of VB.net, that i never use.

Edited by Paspie 2011-05-29 9:46 PM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-05-29 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Windows 2000 may not be supported by Microsoft, but it's still supported by a ton of 3rd party program developers. You'll readily find up to date anti-virus and firewall programs for Windows 2000 out there. Plus, there's a small community of Win2K devotees who have compiled updates to Windows 2000 making it (in some users opinion) even safer then Windows XP or Windows 7. (I've not tried it, so this is just passing along information.)

Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-05-30 8:43 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thankfully it NT 5.0 is a great platform to develop for knowing that whatever you program for 2k will work on XP as well.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-30 4:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You people be crazy
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-05-30 5:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I think all of you are crazy,,, Why won't you consider a build of Linux that is capable of running on your machine?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-05-30 5:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Is ActiveSync working in WINE yet?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12