x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I'm an HPC Fanatic again!!! (Possibly not for long)

1 2 3 4 5
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-06-24 5:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

thumbs up on the ortophones! I use the blue DJs on my tech12s. I hear the stantons are a good budget cartridge although I've never used them...Rich, your BSR sounds too cool!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-06-24 6:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It was cool...but I sold it years ago when I sold my Akai 4 channel 8 track recorder and my Akai 4 channel reel to reel. Now I have nothing in the way of high-tech quality stereo gear.

I remember my Pioneer SX-1080...it weighed a ton, massive transformers, cool VU and frequency centering meters and such. I remember that before that I had a SX-626 which had a black face with blue lights in the tuner...the 1080 was cool because it had the white face brushed aluminum dial which was the newer fad of the late 1970s...

I also read a lot of people writing that the sound isn't the same on digital as it is from vinyl, yet the quantitative tests from laboratories show through sound analysis that the digital audio actually surpasses that of the old analog stuff. You can produce lower and higher frequencies digitally than can be reproduced mechanically.

Although I wonder if digitalized studio recordings actually convey the actual entirety of the original piece...maybe that has something to do with the preferences. Or maybe digital music is simply too perfect, that we expect to hear clicks and hums while we are listening to music...

Maybe some day I'll buy one of those old units on eBay again just for nostalgia and to rock the house off of its foundation...oh yeah, the speakers had paper cones in those days...and it was very easy to loosen the voice coils if you cranked it up too high...wonder if any of those old speakers are still working these days...or if they have all ripped out from drying out and decomposing...
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2011-06-25 2:27 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

regarding the depth of sound on an LP vs a CD I think that when they do those tests they test a full album version of the song instead of a 12" single. I haven't heard a CD be able to get the same kind of sound as a 12" single. the amount of bass you can put into one of those is massive. and forget mp3. as for speakers, I'd have to say modern poly speakers are the way to go with a good amp to drive them. there are some great book shelf studio speakers out there that make some awesome sound for an office sized space.
 Top of the page
BookWorm Page Icon Posted 2011-07-18 4:33 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

> Choosing to use an operating system that is unsupported, no longer updated, isn't going to continue to receive products from security software
> developers and has no firewall when you already have one that is fully supported is frankly... odd.

So according to you, millions of people who simply like an older OS better, or don't want to deal with all the newest bugs, or want something faster, are freaks.

I still use a Tandy Color Computer 3. OS-9 is as stable as Windows CE, and it boots from disk! The same applies to Atari, Commodore, etc., all used by thousands of people who only put up with their pee seas for internet access.

Your opinion has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down.

> If your going to digitize your vinyl feed one in your good turntable through an external preamplifier and use your soundcard to capture the audio

Do you need a preamp? Is that even safe? I was just going to hook it up to the "line in" on my ThinkPad.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-07-18 10:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

BookWorm - 2011-07-18 4:33 AM

> Choosing to use an operating system that is unsupported, no longer updated, isn't going to continue to receive products from security software
> developers and has no firewall when you already have one that is fully supported is frankly... odd.

So according to you, millions of people who simply like an older OS better, or don't want to deal with all the newest bugs, or want something faster, are freaks.

I still use a Tandy Color Computer 3. OS-9 is as stable as Windows CE, and it boots from disk! The same applies to Atari, Commodore, etc., all used by thousands of people who only put up with their pee seas for internet access.

Your opinion has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down.

> If your going to digitize your vinyl feed one in your good turntable through an external preamplifier and use your soundcard to capture the audio

Do you need a preamp? Is that even safe? I was just going to hook it up to the "line in" on my ThinkPad.
I take exception to you trying to put words into my mouth or suggesting as such.

I'm a guy who owns a legacy systems support site; do you think that maybe I support the use of legacy equipment?

My point here is that as the machine is fully capable of running newer operating systems (XP) and is an internet appliance running on the inherently insecure (due to mass effects) Win32 code base the action serves little purpose.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 7:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The shame is that when most people today associate old formats (Vinyl, Beta, VHS, Compact Cassettes, Video8, Hi8) with the problems they had. For Vinyl, it was the crackles and pops that were caused by the person playing it without brushing off excess dust beforehand. For cassettes it was the phenomenon of tape snapping or tangling up during playback. All of these problems could be resolved with a good deck, proper usage etc. Vinyl is analogue so if I want to play it on the move, I can just record it on to cassette, and play it in a car or decent tape walkman. Because that format is analog too no data is lost (depending on the quality and/or brand of tape, eg. Ferric, Chrome, Metal and eg. Maxell, TDK, Sony, Fuji, Pheonix, Polaroid)

HPC Update: Well, I never got that Ortofon cartridge, and I've kinda turned off of vinyl and straight into cassettes, leaving my HPC's further behind. The setup for the WMDC plugin (which supports HPC2000 devices) seems to stop at a memory error message every time I tried to install, and I didn't have a clue where to extract the files. I simply do not have the time or cash to dust off my Dell Dimension 4100, set it up to sync HPC's and then buy software that would make it useful. Right now, I don't have a good use for them and they are all broken in some way so they will end up being sent to the dump before too long.

Edited by Paspie 2011-08-04 7:13 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 7:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Paspie...dump them all in a box and post the on ebay...someone will give you something for them....better than a dump.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 7:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2011-08-04 7:09 PM

Paspie...dump them all in a box and post the on ebay...someone will give you something for them....better than a dump.
IT'S NOT WORTH IT (my dad is refusing anyway). The Sharp HC-4500 is broken and the battery is dead, the Jornada has a broken PC Card flap, the Ericsson, despite working, is in a poor state and a couple of the PC Card slot pins are misaligned with the rest. Even if I put them all in a bundle it would cost a fortune to post. Is there anyone here, who lives in the UK, is willing to buy all three? As a student there is not really much I can do.

Edited by Paspie 2011-08-04 7:23 PM
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-08-04 8:49 PM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

If you send me that HC-4500, or even just the LCD assembly, speaker, and latch spring, that would be awesome. Even just the little tiny spring and the speaker would be awesome. I will at least pay shipping. I'm not in the UK, but this would really help out a lot.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-08-13 3:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I'm now just going to sit back and let my HPC's have their share in storage until I can post them/parts of them elsewhere without having to use my parents as a pass through. I'm sorry but there simply isn't the time to post them right now.

Edited by Paspie 2011-08-13 3:03 PM
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-08-13 7:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm not asking you to put them up on eBay or something, just to mail me a couple teeny parts in an envelope. That shouldn't take any time. I'll pay for them if you want.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-08-13 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Just forget about it, okay! I would if i could, but it's clearly not going to happen. In any case I can't retrieve the parts you want from the inside of the case.
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-08-13 10:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Someone hit the reply button too many times... . Anyway, if it's about the international shipping hassle, C:Amie offered to receive the package and forward it to me. If it's about getting to the parts too like you said, well I don't know about the price but getting the whole thing would work too because I'm kind of desperate. If not, that's too bad, these parts are hard to come by it seems and I'm sorry for bothering you about this. Isn't it odd that in the same thread you say you're an HPC Fanatic again, your HPCs break? Hmmm...

Edited by MobilePro Master 2011-08-13 10:27 PM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-08-14 9:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

MobilePro Master - 2011-08-13 10:27 PM

Someone hit the reply button too many times... . Anyway, if it's about the international shipping hassle, C:Amie offered to receive the package and forward it to me. If it's about getting to the parts too like you said, well I don't know about the price but getting the whole thing would work too because I'm kind of desperate. If not, that's too bad, these parts are hard to come by it seems and I'm sorry for bothering you about this. Isn't it odd that in the same thread you say you're an HPC Fanatic again, your HPCs break? Hmmm...
Maybe you are not aware of my age.
 Top of the page
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-08-14 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am as of a couple days ago. I was just trying to see if maybe your dad was saying no because he would have to organize the shipping himself. Putting them in storage is a good idea though so when you're older you can deal with them, and at least they're not in a dump.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.222 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 13