x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-01 9:41 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I just realized that the reason that my jornada's stylus is like sandpaper. It is made of hard rubber, and the edges are smooth, but the tip is very rough. Unfortunately, I didn't find this out unil I got a nasty 1 1/2in scratch on the screen. Any way to smooth is out? Maybe with 400 grit or higher sandpaper and water?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 6:03 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Maybe it's faster and safer getting a new stylus.
Sanding out is a way to get it smooth but you should use 400 then something like 1000 for finishing.

good luck
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 10:23 AM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

Honestly, I wouldn't waste the time to do it. Once the tip of a stylus is dinged up, it is hard to get it right.

I'd suggest going and buying a new one.

Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 10:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

You can get a replacement stylus here:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=UP_728STY1

Regards,
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-02 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, I'll try ebay, the only reason why I asked about the sanding is because I really can't use my jornada until I have something relatively safe...anyone knowhow to buff out a scratch? lol
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-26 7:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Haha Clinton! I did it! You were right about it being hard to get it right though...I just spent a few hours in the bathroom with what I think was 1,000 grit sandpaper, definitely not fine enough though. Luckily I had an old Sony Clie stylus to compare it to to get the tip right...I just needed to flatten the tip completely, and kind of round it up as much as I could. I had to start over a few times, but it wasn't that bad. (My stylus is shorter now!) Pretty much to get it right you can't care about the small stuff and just keep sanding around the tip until it is a little blunt/roundish. It still isn't perfect, but once I pick up some 5,000 or finer grit sandpaper, it will be smooth as glass (Or at least smooth enough that I don't have to move it very slowly across my screen)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-28 4:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

::Sigh:: When you think you have something, you really don't. I picked up 1,500 grit sandpaper to finish the job, then realized that either the stylus needs a special finish to be smooth enough to not scratch the screen (most likely) or I would need sandpaper so fine that I would have to order it. To all the ambitious people out there, don't try to sand a stylus into shape, it will just end up with you covering your hpc's screen with ceramwrap. The stylus is too short now for the pop-out button to click back in while in the hpc. I think I added a miniscule scratch too, no biggie. (This is a sad moment for me )-EDIT: I was going to post a picture for all of my 720 with a ceram-wrapped screen, but my 142k image just surpasses the 100k limit

Edited by programsynthesiser 2004-11-28 4:41 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-28 12:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You need a screen protector
http://www.hpcfactor.com/reviews/editorial/protecting-your-hpc-2002/

Ok, how about a wild longshot here <insert health and safety message> fumes etc.

Depending on the type of plastic it is could you not obtain a smooth point by heating / melting / moulding it back into a tip?
It'll probably make a horrific mess, but thats about the best way to get a smooth edge - if you've wrecked the stylus already, you've not all that much to loose. <insert health and safety message>
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-28 9:30 PM
#
H/PC Elder

The only problem with that is that it may make a kind of blotch/melt and land on floor kinda thing. I'm afraid that it would come out uneven. Maybe if I got 5,000 grit it would become as smooth as glass, what I expected 1,500 to do. But even at hardware stores I haven't seen anything that high. I'm actually going to go out to Best Buy and pick up one of those pens for $12 that has a stylus built in (press a button and changes to a pen again) Unfortunately, I will have to buy a screen protector, but even though they are a terrible mess to puton, it really makes tapping and writing more effective. (Heck, ceramwrap is making my display nicer)I will post my photos on my site though -By the way, I'm not THAT crazy C:Amie (or am I )
 Top of the page
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2004-11-29 8:34 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hmm....

I still stick by my replacement post!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-29 9:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've got one of those combi pens, Tari from Handheld Underground sent them out. Most kind.

I guess that Ceramwrap is reducing the reflectivity of the screen. >_> <_<
Although I've still not worked out what Ceramwrap is... ceramic?

All I shall say on that subject is that in California you're liable to be getting far too much sun.

"Mad dogs and Californians go out in the midday sun"... I might have changed that a little :whistles:
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-11-29 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

LOL! Ceramwrap, not creamwrap. You know, its that plastic stuff used to cover bowls to keep food in...look up gladware or something. (Is it that different in the U.S.?!)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-11-29 7:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cling film & cream to you too
 Top of the page
ET3D Page Icon Posted 2004-12-01 3:17 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I too just realised that I've been scratching my H/PC Pro's screen pretty badly with my extensive Solitaire sessions. I started using my 5mx's stylus today instead Izzi Pro's one.

Does anyone know if the Izzi Pro's stylus looks like any more common stylus, so that I may be able to find a replacement for it?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-01 4:55 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Here's a thought for the image 911 boys.

I wonder if they could come up with some sort of arteficial stylus tip using their knowledge of the old Ane's and Ene's. Sort of recoat a stylus for someone for a couple of £ / $ / € / ¥.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10