x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP 320LX won't boot...

JC Denton Page Icon Posted 2011-06-20 4:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello!

I was wondering if someone could help me to at least establish what exactly is wrong with my HP 320LX.

Long story short - it won't start/boot. All it does, when I press the RESET button, is showing me that HP welcome screen with two little things in the corners of the screen - in the lower left hand corner there's an "20" (without "", of course), and in the lower right hand corner there's a "w". I assume these are some kind of error codes, but I wasn't able to find the meaning of them.

BTW, it all happened for no apparent reason. I downloaded some stuff from here http://velo.8k.com/ and tried to install them. Suddenly, the palmtop start acting weird, displaying different characters and lines on the screen, then it froze. I did a soft reset and the system booted up, but all setting was lost (and probably data), so it started that setup wizard. When I got to set a proper date, the palmtop froze again, but this time after resetting, it displayed the message I mentioned earlier - welcome screen with 20 and w.

I tried different batteries, leaving it without any batteries overnight...nothing.

If someone have any idea what is wrong...any help is greatly appreciated. It looks to me like a hardware failure, but I wonder how can that happen just like that, for no apparent reason.

Thank you!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2011-06-25 5:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Pull the coin cell and batteries out of it for 20 min. After 1 min remove the ROM chip and blow it off, then blow down the ROM chip slot. Put everything back in this order:
ROM chip
Coin Cell
AA batteries
 Top of the page
JC Denton Page Icon Posted 2011-06-27 11:04 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you for your advice! I'll try that when I get back home today.
 Top of the page
JC Denton Page Icon Posted 2011-06-27 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK, I tried what C:Amie suggested...no luck, still dead.

Thanks anyway!

Top of the page
JC Denton Page Icon Posted 2012-05-07 7:16 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

After almost one year since my last post here, I finally established what's wrong with my 320LX and I managed to fix the problem. The culprit was faulty Windows CE ROM chip.

Today I got my hands on a used Ericsson MC12. I just switched the ROM boards - put Ericsson ROM into HP 320LX and - it worked! (the only difference is that I now have Ericsson boot screen instead of HP).

Putting HP's ROM chip in MC12 gave me the same error and wouldn't boot the palmtop.

That's all. I hope this will help anyone with the same or similar problem.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9