x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Casiopeia PA 2400U

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-07-05 2:50 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a cassiopeia PA 2400U that I have not used in a couple of years. It really makes me mad...it is still a very useable pda - I like the big screen because...well, I'm not getting any younger and bigger print these days is always better. I would like to put a wireless card in this and use it as a web surfer/e-mail. Can I do this? It has ce 2.0 now. I have checked with casio and they said that it could not be upgraded to 2.11 but I have learned to not always believe what the mfg say. Can it be upgraded?

I want to do 2 kinds of wireless. One is wireless from my home computer's wireless network. The other is to connect to my telephone company which uses a GPRS mobile data standard - I live in China. I know zip about this. If I can connect to the gprs can I use this pda to do voice communication over the internet?

I also have a genio ppc with 2002. I get lots of use out of that but I am becoming addicted/dependant on my little mobile device and am finding that I am running out of slots to plugs things into to get things done. I am hoping I can use my casio to take the burden off the genio and do my websurfing and e-book functions. Someone also gave me a Visor handspring. I saw a module on e-bay that allows this to be used to play mp3's and do voice recording. The PDA's are really well suited to me because I spend a lot of time traveling on trains in China and visiting orphanges in poor areas with very dirty environments that would kill a notebook very quickly. Also, the casio and visor take AA batteries so if I run out of power it is an easy fix. Finally, the older pda's are much easier on the budget

Maybe another alternative...has anyone ever put Linux on this pda? I am going to install linux on my dual P2 this summer and would love to have a baby penguin in the family as well.

One last question - do you know of any pda's with 2.11 that allow for an external microphone to be plugged in?

I know there are a lot of questions in here. I will be thankful for any help you can provide.

Thanks for a great site!

Tom
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-05 7:35 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi,

CE2 is limited on WiFi. There are one or two listed in the HCL
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=10

The 2400U is similar to the 2400W (2.11) however there is no upgrade.
Casio.com
Casio does not have any plan to release Upgrade kit from PA-2400U to PA-2400W. Because the hardware of PA-2400W is slightly different from that of PA-2400U.

For GPRS try downloading our GenIrDA Modem driver and see if it can talk to the phone. IF it can ask your cellular provider for the GPRS dial settings and dial string.

It's a SH3 device, so you could try jlime - as for compatibility, functionality-results, benchmarking and a SIP... I don't know on that score.

The IBM z50 does have a Mic socket, there are others - It's a subnote though, not a tablet.

Forget VoIP unless you can get yourself a CE 4.2 deivce.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-07-10 11:02 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks! I really excited about getting things working now...

I have read online that some of the Jornada's have been able to be upgraded to Linux. If that is true can I get voice over to work on a 720 with gpsr?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.144 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 26