x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Platform Builder

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-11 6:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You have me a little confused here over what you need. So if I don't cear it up for you, please say so.

Platform Builder is effectivly just an extension of MS C++ .net, with Windows CE soruce code. The C compiler that ships with it is similar to the Visual Studio 2003 one.
eVC 4 is just a scaled back dev studio. The Platform Builder version usually contains a slightly broader SDK release - which is as far as I'm aware identical to the CD version of eVC4 (but different from the Web Release).

eVC is currently at SP4 - links hpcfactor.com/developer/

Platform Builder is Not for use with Pocket PC devices, you need to use the Windows Mobile SDK's with Visual Studio .net or with eVC4 SP4. What specifically have you been told you need from Platform Builder, and what are you trying to achieve here?

Lastly, if you have a subsequent issue, please do not hijack this thread with it. Create a new one - but please be aware that this is a Handheld PC / Windows CE core site, and not a Pocket PC support site. If you are looking for PPC Support please visit our associates at SmartMobileAssets.com or PocketPCThoughts.com.
 Top of the page
BruceHungerford
BruceHungerford Page Icon Posted 2005-10-11 8:48 PM
#
Earlier in this thread, chiark wrote "You can't just take stuff generated by PB and copy it over the windows directory, unfortunately. You need to replace the whole ROM..."

However, Tapani Otala, author of the iPAQ Storage brick, writes on his web site, "It turns out that the standard ATADISK.DLL driver is simply a bit dense as well as picky. I was able to create a new device driver based [on] some minor modifications to the original ATADISK.DLL driver code from the Microsoft WIndows CE Platform Builder 3.0 package." (http://www.tjotala.com/hardware/storagebrick/default.htm)

I have interpreted this -- and other comments on the web -- to mean that one could take output from the PB and use it as a driver, etc. to provide additional functionality. I have been specifically interested in "developing" mouse and other drivers for my NEC MobilePro 890 (an 880 "upgraded" with a 790 ROM). Have I misinterpreted things? Is it possible to use the PB for this purpose? If not, is there a different/better way?

Also, what would the legalities be? Microsoft is apparently not opposed to Otala's use of the PB -- his driver is well known and even recommended by Addonics (http://www.addonics.com/support/download/). If I were to develop an 890 mouse driver using the PB, could I legally use it? Provide it free of charge to others in the HPC community?

I would really like to hear your reactions. And, if you have a better solution for the mouse problem, I would really like to hear that as well.

Thanks,

Bruce
MP890 Evangelist
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-12 8:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Chiark is completely accurate in what he said, he is referring to replacing the Operating System, not specific drivers. the platform builder is also the Windows CE core DDK - meaning you can just create drivers from it.

This said you do not Need the Platform Builder to create drivers, just the Windows CE 3 DDK and the necessary parts of Visual Studio.
To create drivers for HPC2000 in Platform builder you would need the Windows CE 3.0 PB - not the 4.x or 5.x PB.

The Windows CE ATADISK driver provided in PB is a sample driver - it is supposed to be modified by the OEM/Hardware developer. If you used the sample drivers from a legal version of the DDK, then there are no problems. Black hat yourself platform builder and the entire thing is illegal.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-10-16 9:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

BruceHungerford - 2005-10-11 6:48 PM

I have interpreted this -- and other comments on the web -- to mean that one could take output from the PB and use it as a driver, etc. to provide additional functionality. I have been specifically interested in "developing" mouse and other drivers for my NEC MobilePro 890 (an 880 "upgraded" with a 790 ROM). Have I misinterpreted things? Is it possible to use the PB for this purpose? If not, is there a different/better way?

Also, what would the legalities be? Microsoft is apparently not opposed to Otala's use of the PB -- his driver is well known and even recommended by Addonics (http://www.addonics.com/support/download/). If I were to develop an 890 mouse driver using the PB, could I legally use it? Provide it free of charge to others in the HPC community?

I would really like to hear your reactions. And, if you have a better solution for the mouse problem, I would really like to hear that as well.

Thanks,

Bruce
MP890 Evangelist

Hi there! From what I know, it is possible to write a driver and have it installed into the \windows folder. I do believe there is a reference mouse driver code that one can adapt for usage.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8