x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Why is the HP 200LX still so popular?

aab Page Icon Posted 2011-07-13 9:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I have a hard time understanding why the HP 200LX still sells for over $200 today. I don't even think it has a touch screen and runs DOS, so why are people still paying so much for them? Why are CE 2 devices going for $5 yet this DOS device sells for over $200?

What can you do with it? Is the screen 1 or 2 bits?

I'd be interested in trying one if it was more affordable.
 Top of the page Quote Reply
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2011-07-13 10:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well--it depends on what you want. I still have my 200LX and use it at times when I want to be "distraction free". They are great when you just want to type up your thoughts and focus on writing. I used my even more back in the day that when I still used Lotus 123, but since I have long since switched to Excel, then I don' t really build many spreadsheets. But I still have a few that are on the 200LX that I use in the lab.

If you think a pair of batteries last a long time on your 700, they seem to last forever on the 200LX. And it is super lite weight. If you end up on international flights sometimes like I do, the trusty 200LX will allow you to keep working long after the other batteries are long dead.

But I do admit that with my iPhone, I use the 200LX and my jornadas and mobilepros less and less. And the iPhone makes being distraction free really hard.

If you want one and keep a close watch, you can get one a lot cheaper than the average going price. I have two and will probably always keep them. If 2012 really turns out like Rich Hawley thinks, then I plan to use them to write my memoirs in the post apocalyptic world...

HG

Edited by H2OGuru 2011-07-13 10:26 PM
aab Page Icon Posted 2011-07-14 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

How do you get data in and out of the 200LX? Obviously it doesn't support activesync, can it even be connected to a desktop and what software is used?

Does it have a CF/PCMCIA slot and can it access the same file system as Windows CE?

Is it true you can install Windows 3.1 on it? Do any DOS games run on it? Does it have a touchscreen? Sound?

And the 200LX can run full blown desktop DOS software correct? It doesn't have to be another version like with CE devices? Are there any limitations to the software it can run?

Thanks
MobilePro Master Page Icon Posted 2011-07-14 1:59 AM
#
Avatar image of MobilePro Master
H/PC Philosopher

aab, almost all devices use the same file system, which you are familiar with. It uses folders and files. Some devices just display it differently or don't have a built-in file browser at all. Think of DOS as the CLI versions of Windows, meaning it's Windows without the windows. If you want to see a list of disks, directories, or files within directories, you use a command. You'd be surprised how easy it is to use.
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2011-07-14 2:45 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I use a 64MB CF card as it does have a PCMCIA slot. Sounds small but it is plenty big. Word 5.5 is freeware now and I use it. Basically anything that would run on a 286 runs on it if I remember correctly. I have some simple DOS games but very few. It is mostly a distraction free word processor for me. I would like to have an old DOS version of excel, but the one I have from back in the day require more computer than the 200LX is.

I think some people have run windows 286 and windows 3.0 on the stock 2MB versions like I have and 3.1 on the ones with expanded ram but I never wanted to do so. I'm 45 so I stretch back to the old DOS days and can do what I need to do. It is command driven as MPM says.

I never tried to play sounds or mp3s on it. I typically use my jornada 728 for that and now my iPhone. I think there are mp3 players for DOS, but never messed with them. I think software that requires EGA or VGA will not run on it but I may be wrong.

HG

aab - 2011-07-13 7:10 PM

How do you get data in and out of the 200LX? Obviously it doesn't support activesync, can it even be connected to a desktop and what software is used?

Does it have a CF/PCMCIA slot and can it access the same file system as Windows CE?

Is it true you can install Windows 3.1 on it? Do any DOS games run on it? Does it have a touchscreen? Sound?

And the 200LX can run full blown desktop DOS software correct? It doesn't have to be another version like with CE devices? Are there any limitations to the software it can run?

Thanks

Edited by H2OGuru 2011-07-14 2:54 AM
degarb Page Icon Posted 2011-10-01 11:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I really want to buy a hp200 lx--new or used. Email me if anyone has one.

IN a word, spreadsheets. No other hand held I know, really can do spreadsheets like the hp200lx. None. Number pad, 45 hour battery life, AAs = unlimited battery life!!!!, outdoor screen, indoor screen with headlamp, wide landscape screen, easy to see font size, manual recalculation (absolutely needed on sub 1 ghz machines.), lotus is far easier than excel at entering formulas (no = at beginning). Light weight so I can walk around a building entering numbers. Small so it was easy building a small bullet proof aluminum box to make it last decades and always be available in the bookbag. Successors suck. Windows CE couldn't crunch a simple ss, because of so many lacking things like the manual recalculation mode.

The 2009-2011 walmart/target acer subnotebooks kinda work, but not really practical: slightly too large for walk around & daily carrying, sucky battery life guarantees it will be dead when you need it, impossible to see screen outside, sucky excel that requires = at each formula, no number pad. In real world, doesn't work.... My black berry has a screen so small, nearly impossible to read, narrow view, and inputting formulas is nearly impossible without error, error, error, and poor battery life on all smart phones, including blackberry.
indstr Page Icon Posted 2011-10-05 7:59 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Crap!!! I just saw one of these at Goodwill on Sunday for $5. I didn't buy it because I thought "It'll probably only sell on ebay for $7"....

Was I wrong!!! I'll be rushing out tomorrow to see if it's still there.
indstr Page Icon Posted 2011-10-06 4:24 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

It was gone... oh well
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-10-11 11:36 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh my, that's so sad, I'm sorry!!!

That's happened to me a few times before, oh, I'll get it some other time... Was I wrong...

This intrigues me though, I should check out my local Goodwills though. Who knows.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.189 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 32