x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Anyone tried a Chromebook yet?

1 2
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-08-27 6:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I just read a review of the Samsung Chromebook (dated in June)
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-chromebook-series-5/4505-3121_7-34677639-2.html?tag=rvwBody

Instant-on laptop with a good browser. If it was only smaller it'd be an HPC

I wonder if you can get Chromium on other (smaller) x86 laptops and get similar features...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-08-27 12:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Sounds impressive....over 5 hours continuous use, and a decent boot time, even if not instantaneous....
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2011-08-27 11:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I just tried it when I went to San Francisco International Airport last week.

Great stuff.

But I will want a metal casing.
http://ppctweakies.blogspot.com/2011/08/chromebook.html
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-08-29 1:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Rich, the boot time is equivalent to soft reset time for HPC. The suspend/resume time for that Chromebook is reported to be "nearly instantly".

The Series 5 boots remarkably quickly: from off to login was 8.4 seconds in our tests and another 3.9 from login to browser. As promised, it resumes nearly instantly, too.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-09-21 7:53 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm not a big fan of the Chrome OS at all, so this is definitely something I won't be looking into. Like the design though.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-10-13 1:44 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I did not try a Chromebook yet, but I just tried out the Chrome OS nightly build. Yes, it is fast... but is is really just a browser. I tested it on a Dell Optiplex 780 and its initial boot was 10.31 seconds. Now that is a boot from a USB drive. I may try installing it to a SD card to boot on the Eee later on tonight. I think it would be great on the Eee or a netbook.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2011-10-13 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It does not work on my Eee 2g...
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-02-25 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I know this is an old thread but, I've ordered one of the Samsung Chromebooks the $250 series 3 11.6 inch with the dual core arm processor.

I gave my wife my nexus 7..Her Tablet (my old dell streak 7) died about a week ago & she loved that thing, so i gave her my nexus 7 so she can continue to play her games and whatever else she does.

I didn't use it for really more than a bed surfer as i have a 3ds xl i got for Christmas to play games, & said to myself i'd like to try something different since my main bedside pc purpose is surfing.

In a way It reminds me of the big Jupiter hpc's with the mouse which were always my favorite, especially the Aero 8000

If anyone wants to know what its like after ive had a few day's with it i'll be happy to tell.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-25 4:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not only am I interested...but I want to see some pictures of it too...
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2013-02-26 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hmmm, seems like more of a marketing opportunity for Google than it is hardware and software that I can take seriously. At the end of the day its just a cheap Linux netbook, whether they insist on it being an internet device or not.

By the way, anyone have any idea why my avatar is kinda bloated out here? Should be much smaller.

Edited by Paspie 2013-02-26 2:51 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-02-26 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Paspie - 2013-02-26 6:47 AM

Hmmm, seems like more of a marketing opportunity for Google than it is hardware and software that I can take seriously. At the end of the day its just a cheap Linux netbook, whether they insist on it being an internet device or not.

If we were talking the Acer c7 with the x86, cheap Linux netbook would sound about right, and i wouldn't have gone this route. (Although still a bargain at $199.)

The Samsung arm version you get a 7 sec boot, & a 2-3 day sleep standby, ssd... Cooler system with no noise.

Decent built quality from what i understand, & thank goodness for the matte screen.(but that's a personal preference).

It's a niche version of a already niche line of devices but decent in my eyes.

As for the OS, it seems to me like it should do everything i want a device like this for other wise i wouldn't even consider it.

Edited by thcrw739 2013-02-26 4:12 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-02-26 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Have had it just a few hours so here's what i have so far.

Much faster than i imagined (much Faster than my toshiba laptop 15.6 inch (e-300 apu, 7200 rpm hybrid drive w/4gb ssd cache, 8gb 1333 ddr3)

It's Faster than the video's ive seen but this could be due to chrome os updates or my wireless speed (5ghz band)..... even can play some desktop quality flash games with out choking, build quality is decent, but materiel's (plastics) are just OK (very livable though).... better than the Toshiba laptop, which i paid over $350 for after ram & hd upgrades

Chrome OS Wasn't hard to figure out, sound quality is excellent again better than the Toshiba.

Boot time is really 7 secs tried it after updated several times, and it has a feature that it turns on when you open it up so by the time you get it positioned and opened to your liking it's almost there if not there already.

I like the matte screen, but some may not as it isn't as vivid seeming as glossy. Res is 16:9 1366x768

More to come....

Edited by thcrw739 2013-02-27 12:24 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2013-02-27 4:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Glad to hear this stuff: keep it comin'. This machine is fanless, right? And I'm much interested in how it works off-line. I've been using Chrome/Chromium in Linux recently, and I'm really getting sold on it, regardless of its soul-sucking, she-devil destruction of my identity.

Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2013-02-27 6:52 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Jake - 2013-02-27 8:41 AM

Glad to hear this stuff: keep it comin'. This machine is fanless, right? And I'm much interested in how it works off-line. I've been using Chrome/Chromium in Linux recently, and I'm really getting sold on it, regardless of its soul-sucking, she-devil destruction of my identity.

Jake

Yes it's totally fan less.

Not sure about the offline uses, i'll get back to you on that as i didn't intend to use it that way.

I have found a bit creaky/crunchy in area's nothing terrible (opening the lid/moving the lid), first picked up from sitting a wile untouched) the normal now days for plastic.

I admit though i'm a bit eccentric when it comes to cosmetics & operation of a device especially new no matter how much i pay for it....Someone else might find it the norm, or unnoticeable.

Sitting into position to use i hear nothing though, & I'm sure it will vary build to build depending on manufacturer tolerance.

Yeah i really don't care about the evil's of Google's, they have my stuff & had it for a wile.

Battery life is great i let it sit on for a wile using a 3 hour 720p hd fireplace video streaming in you tube., surfed for about 3 hours on and off, played some flash games, let it sit in sleep mode, turned it on and off several times, updates etc... my guess (didn't time time it exactly) a 8-10 hour day of moderate use & still had 30 percent battery

Edited by thcrw739 2013-02-27 6:57 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2013-02-27 8:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Battery life sounds impressive...how's the keyboard...how would you compare it to a normal desktop keyboard in comfort and size and usability?

How about a comparison picture of it with some other handheld we know and love?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.235 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9