x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New NEC android hpc

1 2
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2011-10-03 6:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Reminds me of a cross between a mobile pro & sharp mobilon.

http://liliputing.com/2011/10/nec-reveals-the-mgx-7-inch-android-netbook.html
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-10-03 6:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Pretty sweet looking, looks like an update of the NEC Life Touch except a bit smaller and thinner...wonder where they put the battery in that thing...
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-10-03 10:11 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Nice, but don't like the coloring of the keys. Reminds me of one of my old 80's Casio calculators. :S
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2011-10-10 7:38 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Too bad it runs Android.. It looks pretty cool, in my opinion. Even the keys look cool, but to each their own, right, SOLIDUS? haha
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-10-10 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Personally I don't mind if it runs Android; there are applications available for it that rival the programs we most use on HPC's. It is a lot newer and more popular with consumers than Windows CE ever was. Most third party developers abandoned CE many years ago.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2011-10-10 6:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I do like the looks of it.

Personally i have a dell streak 7 & as of 3 days ago with a official dell update runs android 3.2 honeycomb, which by the way is purely awesome even with out a keyboard.

I could just imagine how great this thing would be.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-10-11 12:41 AM
#
H/PC Elder

thcrw739 that's awesome. But how is the performance with the Streak 7 under Honeycomb?

I also agree that the key colouring is a + not a - But obviously the colouring is only for the prototype: just easier to print the whole key I guess.

CE is a goner, but Android ain't the replacement. Windows 8 for ARM will be it.

My guess for the battery is half of the base. Just like a Nintendo DS/DSi/3DS.

Interesting to see the Intermec 6651 flipping mechanism again

Anyway I'll wait until this thing actually make it to production, before giving it a like.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2011-10-11 2:37 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I want one ! lol but i think I'll buy Sony Tablet P first
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2011-10-11 6:19 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

takwu - 2011-10-10 4:41 PM

thcrw739 that's awesome. But how is the performance with the Streak 7 under Honeycomb?

I also agree that the key colouring is a + not a - But obviously the colouring is only for the prototype: just easier to print the whole key I guess.

CE is a goner, but Android ain't the replacement. Windows 8 for ARM will be it.

My guess for the battery is half of the base. Just like a Nintendo DS/DSi/3DS.

Interesting to see the Intermec 6651 flipping mechanism again

Anyway I'll wait until this thing actually make it to production, before giving it a like.

I really like it, performance wise seems just as fast if not faster than froyo, the default browswer is tabbed & acts more like a desktop linux, notification's, home button, open programs icon/task manager etc is on a bottom taskbar.

Having the dual core tegra 2 helped from the start.

I dont really mind that the screen res is lower than most honeycomb tablets, I personally think ts the best in its price $299 or less range now with honeycomb. It's just as fast & battery last just as long as any atom netbook i have tried & does just as much..... only draw back is no physical keyboard but have messed with so many cheap android devices im use to it.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-10-12 2:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

That's great. I read some reviews that found the battery life very short though (2 to 3 hours?).

I was interested in the Acer A100, which was the first 7 inch Honeycomb. It has 1024x600 resolution, still not as high as the 10 inch tablets though. But it's also not great on battery life, maybe better than the Streak 7. However it's WiFi only (no cellular), and it's $300 for 8GB version.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2011-10-12 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well at first i thought it would be a long time before i could actually get a higher end android device, but right around my birthday this past summer, staples had a coupon which gave $100 off any tablet which made the streak $199 so i grabbed it.

I get around 4 hours on battery with continuous use wifi, etc, varies with other types of use. I haven't seen the a100 in person, but have seen the a500, and a few other 10 inchers which for me is to big & heavy for something you want to hold wile laying down in the evening surfing or reading a eBook.

I have the 16gb, wifi only version & was looking for a netbook/laptop/portable gaming alternative, I have one of those virgin mobile optimus v's i purchased for $99 with the $35 300min/unlimited data no contract plans for out of the house daily use.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2011-10-14 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The question is though, is this new NEC thing really deserved of a place in our Devices list?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2011-10-14 11:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

We can talk about it, but you won't see an Android device listed anywhere on this site...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2011-10-15 1:45 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey I know, how about "APCFactor"?
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2011-10-15 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well guys, to be honest I think NEC should be given a round of applause for adding a keyboard! Not many vendors do this anymore. At least you'll get the "HPC feeling" when using it.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 16