x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Simpad SL4 - HPC2K, CE 4.1, CE 4.2 or Linux ???

Niteman1969 Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 3:20 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Which OS should I choose?

I have the rom files for hpc2k, ce net 4.1 and for simpad linux
I am getting the simpad itself in a few days.

I know the 4.2 upgrade cost £75

What I want to use the machine for.....

Wireless Internet
GPS
Word Processing (maybe if a keyboard add on is available)
general home and office tasks.

GPS (is there any linux stuff - is it any good?)

Internet - an up to date web browser would be nice with
integrated flash , acrobat and quicktime players???

A decent MP3 player would be nice.

IRC

Access to hotmail and messenger , yahoo , icq , aim
maybe even skype????

good PIM

etc etc....

the wincesoft remote version 1.18 looks very interesting
but is there anything similar under simpad linux?

Regards

Niteman1969

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 3:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'll try to answer your questions as i know HPC2000 and now ce.net 4.2 too. played with 4.1 a little too. don't know anything about linux though but according to snappy it's still a little flaky. ask him for details

so..
Wireless Internet - ce.net 4.1 and 4.2 will be the best for it. 4.2 is of course slightly better but it can't justify 75 GBP + shipping + risk (whether the unit gets broken while shipping..)

GPS - i know only the hungarian map softwares and destinator. i can tell you destinator runs fine on 4.1, but not on 4.2... you probably need to hack a ppc application so if that's your goal, go for 4.1! it is more compatible with hacked ppc apps. (heh, learning that just now)

Word Processing (maybe if a keyboard add on is available) - i think it is the same with all OS's, though i haven't looked into textmaker yet on 4.2 (confirmed to work on 4.1) and i know nothing about linux.

general home and office tasks. - for example?

GPS (is there any linux stuff - is it any good?) - see above. + linux lacks a lot in this area..

Internet - an up to date web browser would be nice with
integrated flash , acrobat and quicktime players??? - i think flashplayer 5 is included in 4.1 rom, but don't know the 4.2 rom, you should check it out on the upgrade site. adobe acrobat reader 1.0 will run fine on 4.1. but not on 4.2... oh well... ansyr primer does work but it is soooo slow.. and the built-in pdf viewer sucks. it is very fast but isn't compatible with every pdf.
about a browser itself, your only option is ce.net. if you want java also, netfront 3.0 will run on all platforms (except linux, obviously). and ce.net 4.1 (simpad rom of course) has jeode jvm (integrating into IE i think). 4.2 doesn't have it. maybe it can be hacked, i'll see.

A decent MP3 player would be nice. - should be the same on all OS's, ce.net comes with an updated mediaplayer but there are other programs too.

IRC - ircce runs fine on every OS's and probably linux has an irc client too.
yeah i've tried ircce and it DOES run on 4.2!!! (there was some thread on it that it wouldn't work.. but it works!!)

Access to hotmail and messenger , yahoo , icq , aim - all should be fine with ircce or imov (didn't try the later on ce.net yet!!), i'm not sure about aim though. but there's a hpc2000 aim, i can try hacking it for you on 4.2.
how did you mean hotmail? emails?

maybe even skype???? - only ce.net 4.2 has a chance! i'll be looking into it.

good PIM - hpc2000 is the best.

etc etc.... - for example???

the wincesoft remote version 1.18 looks very interesting - don't know anything about this!
but is there anything similar under simpad linux? - dunno

i hope i could help. in general the best compatibility is with hpc2000 but wireless internet is much better with ce.net. it can even do PPPOE (4.1 and 4.2 too)
i think 4.1 is more compatible with hpc2000 and hacked ppc apps. what's more, 4.2 isn't really worth the upgrade hassles.
if you list all the apps you want to run i can test them on 4.2, but not on 4.1, sorry. but if something runs on 4.2 and it isn't a hacked wm2003 app, then it will run on 4.1 too. sorry again, i have only 4.2 at this time.

Edited by cmonex 2005-07-07 3:55 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 4:13 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok, i think i see now the problem with hacked ppc2000/2002 apps. i have an aygshell.dll in rom.. oh well that complicates things.
maybe the simpad rom doesn't have it but as i already said it isn't worth the money if you can have ce.net 4.1 for free!
btw, i'm talking about these ppc things only because you're interested in GPS.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 4:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey, admins please move this to general discussion so it doesn't disturb the OT spirit I'm trying to work on here!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 4:17 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh sure... i'd move it to the ce.net category because that is where this thread belongs to. only problem that i have moderator rights only in hpc2000 category so you'll have to wait for C:Amie
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 7:28 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to CE4 .net support
 Top of the page
mfradin Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 7:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I switched from HPC2000 to CE.net 4.1 on my simpad SL4 and I won't go back!!

For web browsing CE 4.1 is much better, I can access my hotmail account with no problems. I haven't found any web sites that won't load.

The biggest difference between HPC2000 and CE.net 4.1 is the PIM. Outlook is not included with CE.net 4.1. Pocket On Schedule is included. I find Pocket On Schedule ok for my needs but, is a little tricky to sync.

The installed PDF viewer is a little slow and does not open all pdf files, I use acrobat reader 1.0.

Overall the SL4 feels like it runs qiucker with CE.net 4.1.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 8:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

mfradin - 2005-07-07 5:39 AM

I switched from HPC2000 to CE.net 4.1 on my simpad SL4 and I won't go back!!

For web browsing CE 4.1 is much better, I can access my hotmail account with no problems. I haven't found any web sites that won't load.

The biggest difference between HPC2000 and CE.net 4.1 is the PIM. Outlook is not included with CE.net 4.1. Pocket On Schedule is included. I find Pocket On Schedule ok for my needs but, is a little tricky to sync.

The installed PDF viewer is a little slow and does not open all pdf files, I use acrobat reader 1.0.

Overall the SL4 feels like it runs qiucker with CE.net 4.1.

I second that. I didn't even try out hpc2k before I flashed in CE.NET 4.1. I also tried opensimpad 0.8.1 and 0.9.1RC images. The 0.9.1RC images are rather usable but you need to tweak the config file for proper touch screen calibration.

On the whole
CE.NET 4.1 - 9/10 (not a 10 because it does not run CE-STAR 2.2! )
HPC2000 - 8/10 (Pretty useful already, but its outdated browser gives much to be desired)
OpenSIMpad/opie/gpe - 8.1/10 (I favor it over HPC2k because it is still progressing, and supports my wifi card out of the box! Further, there are quite many apps available for download through a simple click-click-install process)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah this is my opinion too.. guess i was just too detailed! about program compatibility..
...because if your favourite app won't run you're really out of luck and have to make compromises..

my points for ce.net 4.2: 8.5 or 10, didn't decide yet. depends on whether i can get adobe acrobat reader to work or not, and maybe destinator too but the latter isn't really important.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 6:30 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-07-07 9:42 AM
my points for ce.net 4.2: 8.5 or 10, didn't decide yet. depends on whether i can get adobe acrobat reader to work or not, and maybe destinator too but the latter isn't really important.

Don't you get acrobat reader included with 4.2? I did...
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-07 7:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-07-07 10:42 AM

yeah this is my opinion too.. guess i was just too detailed! about program compatibility..
...because if your favourite app won't run you're really out of luck and have to make compromises..

let's just say that yours was the detailed analysis while mine is the executive summary!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-08 3:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2005-07-08 12:30 AM

yep, i do have the pdf viewer for ce.net 4.2 in ROM, but it just plain sucks. it's fast, but can't open every kind of pdf's. and if the pdf isn't in english, it can't show any characters right, just a mess instead. have you never had problems with it?

ansyr primer is there too if there's a really desperate need for it but it's slooow..
 Top of the page
mscdex
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-11 2:43 AM
#
cmonex - 2005-07-08 3:57 AM

takwu - 2005-07-08 12:30 AM

yep, i do have the pdf viewer for ce.net 4.2 in ROM, but it just plain sucks. it's fast, but can't open every kind of pdf's. and if the pdf isn't in english, it can't show any characters right, just a mess instead. have you never had problems with it?

ansyr primer is there too if there's a really desperate need for it but it's slooow..

Is there anywhere I can get ahold of the CE.NET 4.1 or 4.2 rom update for the SimPad (in the U.S.)? I'm looking to pick up a SimPad here soon possibly and it would be great to have an updated OS on it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-15 9:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mscdex: well you should just look around on the forums here...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.269 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10